707 II Guitar review by Zoom

Zoom: 707 II Guitar

Purchased from: guitarcenter.com

This unit comes with what I would call some pretty standard effects. Multi-effects pedals all come with a basic array of effects. Phaser, Wah wah, tremelo, reverb, hall, spring, ppong delay. There is a variety of amp models, and a handful of cabinets to choose from. The noise reducer and isolator effects work very well, and keep even the loudest sounds under control in between riffs. All of your standard effects found on much larger and more expensive effects pedals can be found right here from this 10++year old unit. I feel like its been pretty easy to get the tones I want from this pedal. It takes a little setting up, but is well worth it. The only things I would say doesn't work very well in terms of included effects/settings - is the EQ modeling. With that said it does its job in taking out the high end, which can eliminate some air in the patch, but it doesn't do a good job of defeating the bass end if you are getting a dirty signal.

Okay guys, some of you sound snobs would laugh at anyone considering actually getting this unit in 2011 (which I just did!) >> But, you're all just haters. This thing has a perfectly great set of reverb/chorus/amp/cab models to choose from. The delay and Wah Wah are also notably good for a unit this old. Could you get a better sound from a much newer and more expensive pedal? ABSOLUTELY - Can you find a better DEAL, than this little pedal for $30+$10 Shipping. I really doubt it. This little package does everything I need to make for some awesome practice time next to my garageband and RC50 loop pedal. What more could you ask for for $40?

I owned a 707 GFX before this unit, and I liked it well enough to get the 707 II all these years later. The first one lasted about 10 years, with any luck this one has a good run left in it! (The 707 GFX unit eventually just started shorting/clipping the input and I never got it fixed). The unit is housed and made of plastic, which is always a downer in terms of longevity. On the plus side, it is very very hard plastic, and I do not see this thing randomly cracking or drying out, it's a solid pvc type of plastic, and I'm more worried about the electronics or power cable going bad than the plastic.

The pedal is extremely easy to use. One of the best features added to the 707 II is the amp model variation button on the top left of the unit. This button toggles you between three amps. This makes it easy to always have the ability to Switch to a clean or dirty channel sound, which is a great feature and makes it a lot easier to adjust on the fly using just one preset. This is ideal for the novice or guitarist who does not want to fuss with the settings. With that said I highly recommend fussing with all of the settings. The presets that come with this unit are mostly overblown metal/grunge patches that have WAAAAAAY too much gain. I am not anti metal or anything, but the presets seriously lack some nice clean sounds that a blues guitarist could get excited about. Luckily those sounds are easily created with just a little bit of DIY.

escobarmusic
    I paid $150 for this in Tampa sometime 2001 and its has never failed. It's overdriven and distorted sounds are not that fluid but it gets the job done. After 12 years of gigging with it, some of the red indicator lights are gone but the thing still works. I beat the hell out of it every time, it even got soaked in beer once or twice. I bought another one just in case of a total failure.