G1 review by Zoom

Zoom: G1

Price paid: C$ 70

Purchased from: Bobba Lalonde Music

At the time when I owned this, my setup was: Epiphone SG Special/Fender Telecaster > Zoom G1 > MEGA Bass Amp. Though both the guitar and the amp were very low quality, I still managed some decent tones. While the G1's sound is very digital, it is also very warm and fat, as opposed to the thin, cold sounds of many low-end multi-FX pedals. Surprisingly, the G1 does have some useable gain sounds. I was particularly impressed with the cave-like Acoustic simulator and the very nicely simulated Rat distortion. I used the latter extensively and am constantly baffled by it's great tone when I listen to recordings of my old band. The delays are fairly choppy, though the reverbs are quite nice and mellow. The biggest surprise this pedal has in store is the quality of it's flanger. It has a massive sweep that even the higher end processors cannot emulate. This is honestly a better flanger than some stompboxes offer. The other modulation effects aren't wonderful, and aren't terrible. They are simply there, period.

Of the very few multi-effects pedals in it's price range, I have No Doubt that the Zoom G1 is the best. It is not a good effects unit byany means, but it it beats out DigiTech's RP-50 in terms of sound quality, practicality, and versatility. I sold this a long time ago to pay for an RP-50 (which I also sold). This is a decision that I regretted almost immediately. I've never had the chance to try one of the Zoom models with the expression pedal, but I imagine that it would greatly improve this box's versatiliy. Though I've moved away multi-effect processors and toward single stompboxes, I will definitely keep an eye out for some of Zoom's single products, particularly delays. Once again, this is not a very good ppedal; it is, however, the best purchase for a fairly new guitarist on a tight budget.

As all Zoom products, the G1 is housed in a plastic chassis that seems extremely brittle. The footswitches look unreliable, and I've heard horror stories about the input & output jacks. That being said, I owned mine for about 6 months and had no t rouble with it. I gigged with it once and faced no trouble. The G1 is not a pedal that will withstand much abuse, but if it's well taken care of, it should last.

This is a much more intuitively laid-out processor than the hectic, disorganised unit's in it's price range. The G1 is fairly simple multi-effects pedal to use, though for first-timers, it may be a little complicated. The manual does it's job well in explaining everything. The patch saving process is easy and quickly learned. It is very easy to jump from one category (Compressor, Modulation, Rverb) to the next. Editing may take a while, because some of these effects have a pretty good range of sound. Depending on the genre you wish to play and the extent to which you plan on using these effects, this can be either a huge advantage or an irritating drawback. The presets, of course, are completely unuseable, but it's a multi-FX processor; what do you expect?

CanadianRocker!
    I've had the Zoom G1 for over 2 years now and I absolutely love it! It can do it all, I have a Jackson JS30 Dinky and this little pedal really beefs up the sound of the Jackson, I don't use a guitar amp, I have it plugged directly into the line in of my computer for any recording either with Cool edit pro or Windows Media Encoder and the output is going to my home stereo a Yamaha 200watt receiver with massive tower speakers, 125 watts each it sounds sick!! I can also play my backing tracks or mp3's through this setup and play along with them. This pedal can produce the heaviest death metal, or the sweetest blues and even a very nice acoustic sound, this baby functions beautifully and the patches switch instantly, the settings took a little time to figure out and get them to where I like them but that was half the fun! I definitely recommend the Zoom G1 to anyone, I've also had the Digitech Rp-100 and that thing sounded very digital, had the Zoom 505 as well, loved it also but sold that too and then bought the Zoom G1 which also had the built in drum loop machine which the 505 was missing, having the drum machine is really good as well, all adjustable to your liking, it has 40 different patterns which can be sped up or slowed down and raised or lowered in volume, overall this is one fine pedal, I use it everyday and it is very durable, no problems at all, but I also treat it well and don't kick it around, anyway if you are thinking of getting a multi effects pedal, get the Zoom G1 or the newest one they have, you won't be sorry, Zoom Rocks! oh ya and there is a webpage that people can go and submit all of their custom patches that you can try out, here it is..http://guitarpatches.haax.se/ Enjoy!! Canadian Rocker Guy!
    rickneedshelp
    its a decent unit for the price.only gripe i have is the volume for just about every effect is so up and down like Marys pants at a picnic.
    leenux5030
    I ve been using ZOOM G1 from past December ,its totally worthed for its price ,I am a beginner I thought Ill buy a good costly processor latter , But I dont think it is required to buy a new one , this processor works pretty nicely , I play Black Metal , gives ****ing awesome distortion , and add a little delay and reverb to the extreme distortion patch , this lill thing gives gawd dammn demonic sound that can scare the shit out ov ya neighborhoods
    akosiehm
    I've been using this for almost two years,still sound great,I just borrowed it though..i have used z0oms 505,606,707,gfx-4,gfx-5,g2..i d0nt own anything all borrowed.hahahaha!
    lildude_6859
    just got it 2 days ago for christmas (early obviously). it rocks, but i need to look at the manual to actually know what i'm doing!!!
    jimmyjimbo72
    Man I miss mine It had been working fine for about 2 years but eventually whenever I'd power the unit up it would do nothing and the display would read "d5" I've got a Behringer X V-Amp now and although it has a built-in expression pedal and loads of other awesome features, the effects are not at all as good
    jrnoel
    just got one today and it sounds like a lot of static. I am using a crappy practice amp, but the amp sounds fine without the g1. any suggestions?
    Victor Escobar
    You will love this if you know how to use it. I was a bit disappointed when I first got it but once I learned how to use it well and properly, I love this little thing. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and a decent 30 watt solid state amp and I can easily replicate tones from the Stray Cats to Cannibal Corpse.