G1 review by Zoom

Zoom: G1

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ok sound. This is going to be a long one but hopefully it'll help someone in the same boat is me. I've played this through a Line 6 Spider II 112, a Marshall HD100FX Half Stack, a Kustom PA System, recently a Vox AD100VT, and of course as a computer interface with studio monitors. I've used multiple guitars, a ESP Viper 400 with EMG 81 & 85 pickups tuned down to A, a Ibanez ART300 with Lo-zi humbickers tuned down to B, a Ibanez ART300 with Lo-zi humbuckers tuned down to C and a Schecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan pickups tuned to standard. All set neck guitars. The sound is very good and very bad depending on genre. If you play classic rock, country, blues, 80's metal, alternative and rock (Foo Fighters, Green Day) this pedal can get some great tones live and using it as a recording interface going direct in. How ever, if you want nu metal tones for recording that are drowned out in distortion THIS IS NOT THE PEDAL FOR YOU. You have a lot of 14-16 year olds rating this pedal awesome. NO! You CAN get some sick, nasty, crazy distortions. But to the trained ear they sound like sh-t, fake and synthetic. I'm surprised Joe Satriani and John 5 endorse this pedal. It goes to show how little credit sound engineers get post production. I truly believe they are responsible for most GREAT tones. This is the deal... I write and record hard rock. I love newer tones of Mark Tremonti, Sevendust, Kill Switch, Jim Root of Slipknot (the other guy is a dick). Their tones are heavy, powerful but clean and warm at the same time. You're not gonna get this with the ZOOM. You're going to get very harsh gritty tones while recording. I've spent months trying to EQ it differently, turning down the distortion to down to 4 (it goes from 1-99 so for is pretty damn low to still have so much grit.) I just can't get the harshness out. Teens want to turn the distortion (gain) way up and think it sounds cool. I used to also. But while recording you have to layer your guitar tracks (dub them) to make them sound full... So your gain should never be as high as your settings when you play live because layering ads grit on top of grit on top of grit especially with the ZOOM. I even assumed "Oh! It's gritty cause I'm going direct in. Let me mic my amp or cab instead." NOPE! Using a Shure SM57 (intrument mic) and a Shure SM58 (vocal mic) It still had a ton of grit (harshness). Now having said all that, if you just buy the G1 for live use you can't really detect that grit so you can get some good heavy tones. But I got the G1.u which is marketed for recording. That's fine. JUST DON'T RECORD HARD ROCK. I got some great cleans, and delays, and wah's while recording with this. I know this seems biased cause I record hard rock... And that's fine. I hope it helps someone else out who is looking for a recording interface for hard rock.

I mostly play metal, hard rock. I've been playing on and off for 8 years. This not a good match for recording. For live use yes. Bottom line is if your looking for tube modelers, get a Line 6 product for 50 bucks more (even though they still sound fake to me.) Nothing beats a real tube amp. I am searching for the tone Bury Your Dead had on the album It's Nothing Personal. Not the greatest band or album but just google the tone. Hands down people say that tone is the best. Invest in a tube amp or something like the Vox Valvetronix series. It sends the signal through one tube before it hits the effects so it's kinda like a tube preamp. They're not as expensive as a all tube amp but the tone sounds a lot better than any modeler. Also if anyone can help with the tone above go to www.thisawakened.com and send me an email through that site. Hopes this helped someone. Thanks.

Plastic case... But no damage in over a year. I would take it to a gig but I would be careful with it. I don't trust anything with a plastic case and plastic knobs for a lot of live use. If it was stolen or broken I would not replace it. In fact I'm selling it to a guy who records punk rock. This would work perfect for that genre of music.

I have owned this for over a year. I have the G1U model which is also a USB interface. The regular G1 is not an interface. This is from a 28 year old who has been playing for 8 years. It can be very difficult to understand at first. UNLESS YOU READ THE MANUAL. Then it's pretty easy.