G1J review by Zoom

Zoom: G1J

Purchased from: Amazon

I don't have a lot money so alot of my gear is beginner equipment so I run this pedal through an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and an Epiphone 15w Amp. Man is this pedal one loud motherf--ker. I had never had my amp sound this loud. The patches have a lot of weird effects that seem useless but there are some great ones that you will without a doubt be using on your own Original songs. Well its a John 5 signature pedal, so you do get to sound like John. If you work around with some of the effects you can achieve some other tones. I've gotten some Metallica, NIN, AC/DC, Chet Atkins and a ton more. The one problem I have is that it can get a little to loud at times so i usually play when no one is home.

If it werent for John 5, I would have never picked up a guitar. One thing that I heavily take from him is the fact that he plays all kinds of music. I can play some bluegrass and I can play some Death Metal. My band is a metal band (we sound like Metallica/Megadeth) and yes this pedal does achieve some great metal tones. I've been playing for almost two years and every time I plug this bad boy in I just get a Rush of inspiration. I don't know what I would do if I lost this pedal. If ti were stolen I'd probably have to hunt down and murder the guy Who stole it. Some cool extras that come along with the pedal are a John 5 poster, a special John 5 Pick and a greeting card from John himself. A word of warning though: if you want to store your own personal effect you have to delete one of Johns. I deleted the "American Witch" one as it sounded nothing like it.

Well as it is my only pedal, I would depend on it. The top is plastic so you do have to be gentle with it. The bottom is metal with somecushioners on it so its is fine on the floor. I haven't used it on stage yet but I've used it tons of time during band practice and some recordings.

This was the first pedal that I have ever bought. I bought it on a recommendation from a friend of mine. Although I never owned a pedal, every pedal I had used before that was analog so it was hard to use a digital one. I've gotten the hang of it since then but I encounter problems every now and then. Editing patches is one of its best features. You will be able to create your own signature tone as I did.

minchew
    And im sorry, but with that setup I find it somewhat hard to believe you can know what it truly sounds like. Not dissing you but LP special through an Epi amp isnt exactly a great test rig for any kind of pedal. Also, for the volume, you can turn the level of the patches down.
    Victor Escobar
    Well minchew, what I was hoping many would understand would be: If I can get those kind of tones on a crappy rig,imagine a much more professional rig.
    lief92
    Apparently there are 80 patch slots available, 40 preset by John 5 and 40 that you can use for your own patches.