G1J review by Zoom

Zoom: G1J

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

I'm using my 2006 Fender MIM Standard Strat and a 2009 Fender Frontman 65R Combo which by itself, sounds okay, but adding this to it, adds another whole dimension. The effects on this are great and sound remarkable in comparison to Digitech's RP line. The Reverbs and choruses actually ring out, while the distortions sound bright and crisp and don't have that muddiness that the RP's have to them. I just can't believe the difference in tone between this and the DigiTech Rp's of which I have owned several in the past and have sold because I wasn't pleased with them.

I play Classic rock and 80's hair Metal and this is the pedal that I've been looking for, believe it or not. I'd wish I had come across this much earlier and am kicking myself in the ass for not. I've always looked at Zoom in the past as a cheap DigiTech knockoff, but not anymore. I definately reccommend this pedal for anyone who is on a low budget or is a beginner who would like to add some effects to their rig. For $50.00, this is one hell of a bargain and sounds a helluva lot better than any of Digitech's RP pedals IMO!

I baby everything I own and this is no exception, so reliability shouldn't be a issue here. I could see myself using this at a gig, considering that I've used a DigiTech RP-50 at several gigs in the past and never had any problems with that. If you take care of your equipment, it'll last you a lifetime. I'm a firm believer in that motto.

I just got this in yesterday and it comes with a Guitar Pick, a John 5 Poster, a card from John 5, and another card, explaining what the displays are, which I've found to be very helpful when making my own settings. It has 40 of John 5's settings and 40 user settings, along with 20 amp/distortion settings and over 50 something different effects. It runs on 4 "A" Batteries or you can use the enclosed AC adaptor which'll save you a lot of coin on batteries. The casing is made of plastic, while the bottom of it is made of metal. The instructions were kind of hard to follow, so I went to www.gearwire.com where they have a video explaining how to set up your patches. Once I saw that, setting this up was a breeze.