G1J review by Zoom

Zoom: G1J

Purchased from: Amazon.com

I was pretty skeptical about this being its so cheap, so I did my internet research first and found some vids of guys using it and I wanted to try for myself. I'm primarily using a les paul and I run it through 2 full range powered speakers and I have no problems getting a Killer sound. For my dirty tones, I really like the model of the Marshall 2000. I use this for my main tone, the 5150 and Deizel are pretty good for layering. I love the Acoustic sim on this, sounds great even with high output buckers. The effects overall are pretty good and plentiful especially considering the cost. You've got compression, autowah, booster, numerous delays, cab sims, choruses, pitchshifting and harmonizers and a few others. Trust me at least one thing on this will be worth your 60 bucks and you get so much more compared to just a single effect pedal. The noise gate is kind of weird though, you have to use it very sparingly or you affect the attack to much. I still prefer using its gate to my Boss gate though.

I gave up on my X3L after Line 6 repeatedly dropped the ball with assisting me in fixing the usb audio dropout problem. Long story short, I sold it and will never buy a product from them again. I've tried Digitech, gag me please. I've tried Boss, I hate the interface. The economy sucks so I can't buy nine hundred stompboxes and amps. So I decided to check out Zoom, and this little guy packs a lot of fun. John 5 has a very diverse knowledge of guitar styles, so you can pretty much use this for anything. I myself play a wide variety, so I really need the flexibility of modeling units. Super cleans to the soaring gain, tripped out effects and even a built in rhythm machine. I like it so much, I decided to order the bass guitar model as well (also 59.99) I will review that when it comes in and I've had ample time to mess with it.

So far it has been very dependable and works incredibly well with all my other gear. No backup needed, maybe extra batteries if you choose to power it that way. Its strange looking at the floorboard and seeing this pedal that is literally 1/5th the size of my old X3L pushing out something that to me sounds much clearer and less digital, even though it still is.

Pretty easy to use once you get used to the simplicity of it. Some of the sound patches that come preloaded are very close to some of the sounds I've heard John use before. They don't really give you his basic tone at all, but some his effected out noises are reproduced pretty accurately to my ear.

ikantuna
    the sound is damn awful since it's modulator + digital, almost destroy the natural guitar sustain.. but, its still a good stuff within the price range. heh.. it's my first pedal though.. used it for 3 month and sold it and then bought metalmuff! awesome analog distortion pedal!