G1M review by Zoom

Zoom: G1M

Purchased from: JB Music

I use it with a Behringer V-Tone Guitar (cheap and kinda battered, more like a "zombie guitar") and a Boston Engineering / Beta Aivin M6 10-watt guitar amp (a Roland Cube clone). My gear may be cheap but once used with the Zoom G1M and set-up correctly, it can replicate tones created by equipment that cost twice or even thrice as much. The pedal has good distortion and amp modeling features. The Noise Reduction feature cuts out the extra hum (and the sustain too, however). The modulation effects are pretty good, but really seem to be below par compared to what expensive stomp boxes could create. It also contains a pitch shifter and harmonizer. For a pedal that costs less than $100, it's really good. The only thing that I hate about it is the split-second silence created during patch changes. You have to time patch changes carefully if you want to keep you sound smooth.

I play mostly rock and metal, although I can play all genres. I have been playing for more than seven years. I have always been on a budget hence I do not own other pieces of gear aside from those mentioned above and an Oscar Schmidt OG2n Acoustic guitar; however I have been able to use locally made or generic gear and instruments and equipment that cost thousands of dollars. This pedal really is good for its price. If you have more money to spare, I strongly recommend the more recent and more sophisticated effects pedals out there (I won't mention them - use the internet). I highly recommend this product to the following: 1. Beginners who wish to have their first effects pedal 2. Pros looking for a practice pedal 3. Someone who's in a tight budget

It's made of durable plastic, which is quite good and dependable enough as long as you take good care of it. It can be used without a back up, provided that the player won't treat it like it's made of metal while on stage. Any piece of gear, no matter how expensive or good it is, can instantly turn to scrap when raped (I have never seen an effects pedal get rolled upon by a truck like an air-o-space bed).

It is basically a Zoom G1 with a different set of preset patches, hence it is also very easy to use. Editing patches is VERY easy, and can be figured out without consulting the manual (which also contains useful technical information). It comes with 40 presets created by Michael Amott himself. If you're into his music or songs that require rich distortion (like heavy metal, melodeath), then you can plug and shred away. It also has 40 user patch slots that you can modify to create your own sound or to try tons of patch settings available over the internet.

cws92
    Never have trusted pedals made of plastic - my last one was a Rocktron dist. back in '85. none since.
    loinmute
    I had a zoom gfx back in '98...great tones for the money. Durability is a -100, it stopped working after 7 months.
    DANIELWING
    not a bad pedal for plastic, good effects, easy to use. only bad thing is its hard to mute effects or bypass because both buttons have to be depressed at the same time
    Friendly Ranger
    I have a Zoom G2. I'm not a very frequent electric player, but it is very good at what it does, allowing a complete amateur like me to play with loads of effect sounds for a very reasonable price. I'm not very knowledgeable on effects but I do love to mess around with them. I love my Zoom, it really is good fun. I especially like the use of the word 'Thrice' in this review though.
    theotherguy7145
    My first pedal was Zoom G1. Worth it's weight in gold it was. Bloody great value for what you get!
    MarkWakefield
    It ooks pretty bad to be honest but then again its a beginners pedal so i guess its kinda what you pay for