G1Next review by Zoom

Zoom: G1Next

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Guitarworks

My typical live setup is my Epiphone Casino through, in respective order, a Vox Wah, Boss Blues Driver and then my G1Next. This is all fed into my Typhoon JB-30 Bass Combo amp which provides a wonderful warm tone any guitarist could appreciate. Typically live, my blues driver will provide most distortion and I'll use the G1Next for things such as Phaser, Delay, Reverb and even a tuner in bypass mode. G1Next provide 40+ excellent factory set patches here are a few I use very often: A0: a sharp edgy distortion best for shred guitarists A3: auto Wah funk Overdrive ala Red Hot Chili Peppers A5: a knarly distortion remincent of the legendary Biff Muff pedal A6: U2ish jangly delay A7: squeaky clean tone with creamy phaser B1: jangly Beatles Vox AC-30 B2: wooly fuzz modeled after Hendrix's Fuzz Face B3: staple classic rock tone B6: Brian May of Queen's screaming high end tone C4: a mellow tremolo Overdrive perfect for arpeggios C6: gives even you active pickup humbucker the infamous single coil Stevie Ray Vaughn Statocaster tone. Most of the effects in the pedal are stompbox quality. My personal favourites include the octavers, phaser, Compressor and tremolo. Some of the octave down sounds and pitch modulator can be a bi iffy and your best to just stay away from them.

I play a very diverse range of music so the G1Next is the perfect fit. It is an excellent space saver for any pedal board at an unbeatable price. I would rebuy this pedal again without a single thought. Although lacking some of the variety and freedom of some other multi effects pedal on the market, the price is unbeatable. If you want to hear the G1Next in a live concert scenario, simply visit our YouTube channel.

The fact I've used it at every one of my gigs should answer any reliability issues. Although can be run by AA batteries, my OCD side compels my to use the included AC adaptor. Although the plastic buttons and stitches look rather cheap, the structural integrity of the pedal is still 100%. The expresion pedal has become a bit squeaky, I'm sure a little bit of oil will solve that problem.

I purchased my G1Next about a year and a half ago and still rely on it daily. Although like most multi effects pedals, it initially take a while to get used to, I can now edit anything from EQ to Drive on the fly using only my feet. Editing patches easy relatively straight forward and self explanitory, simply editing and then pressing "Store". Poof! Like magic! The manual is extremely helpful and I've refered to it countless times. I have never tampered with the electronics and so far haven't had to. One down side to the pedal is the lack of ability to manipulate multiple aspects at the same time (eg. Wah-wah from Wah/FX can't be switched on and off while Phaser from Modulation is on). This can be avoided by calibrating one effect to the expression pedal and the other set to be switched on and off with the buttons.