G1Next review by Zoom

Zoom: G1Next

Purchased from: Amazon.com

You need no amp or cab, you can plug phones into it if you wish, as long as they the phones have the correct sized jack (1/4). I have used it through a Crate V18, and my guitar is an Xaviere 550. While not noisy through the Crate, the sound is much more pure through phones or through a cab, what I think the makers intended it to sound like. The effects are quite good, some are quite punchy, and mimic the effects of several amps and cabs, from Fenders to Marshalls to Vox's. The artist modeling is a little bit thin sounding, in my opinion, most of them require a bass or treble adjustment to make them sound better. Drum backing tracks are okay, but could use more variation.

I'm going to rate this from the patches I have been able to find on line and upload along with the pre-prog'd patches already in it. This thing rules. This pedal replaced my Bad Monkey and my HR-2 Boss. It does so much more. I certainly would replace it if it were lost or stolen. I am in love with a Steve Vai and a Slash patch that I prog'ed into it; they are a dead match for the tone. I wish you could prog' the drum tracks, which would make this the ultimate pedal anywhere, but that may be asking too much. I was going to buy just a plain Wah pedal, I am so glad I bought this instead.

It seems plastic and the ports seems a bit cheap, so much so I have concerns when I plug into it that they will crack. It hasn't yet. For the price, I feel that they could have put some more beefy ports in it to plug into without it soundling like plastic about to give.

Easy to use, and quite easy to edit patches. At first it seems a bit daunting, but it's really quite simple. Be careful not to store over any patches you might like, however. Easy enough to re-set if you do. The manual for it is huge, but it's quite easy to understand. It took me about a day to get over the fear of messing it up by editing a patch... First one I did was amazing, and I've been trying them out since. Easy enough to find user made patches on the intarwebz to try out.