G1on Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 05/05/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: G1on
If you're looking for an amazing guitar effects pedal, maybe you can find something else, but if you're looking for a Looper and you're short on budget, this is an amazing looper!
 Ease of Use: 8
 20,667
reviews (2) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
G1on Reviewed by: maryvargas, on september 11, 2014

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: It's very easy to use, I have a DigiTech RP55 and I hate it because it's really hard to use, this Zoom G1on it's no brainer! It's really simple to change the presets, change the names of the presets, change the chain effects, add or remove effects of a chain, using the Rhythm machine and the looper, everything is really simple, the manual is very helpful also, it's physical but I also found one a digital version. I removed the rubber parts of the back surface, and I paste some velcro to use it with my pedalboard, that's also easy to do. // 10

Sound: The sounds are really good, it has 75 effects, 14 amp effects, and you can chain 5 effects and use them at the same time. You can find from great clean sounds to great distortion sounds, and you modify the presets, delete or "turn off" and effect from a preset. I use it with my Telecaster and my Palmer acoustic electric guitar. In the clean sounds, you can even turn off the effects of the preset and connect the Zoom G1on to a keyboard or piano, and it will sound really good! Some of the presets are based on known bands or artist, so you can like or hate those presets, I like almost every preset, but that depends on the type of music you play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's plastic, that's for sure, but it is a strong plastic, so hopefully will last for years, at least for the outside. The knobs doesn't seem to be falling apart anytime soon, the battery cover seems durable, right now I'm using with batteries but I never let them inside, so I have to open and close the lid several times and it looks very durable and strong for now. You can use it with a 9 volt adapter that it's not included with the pedal. Right now I'm using it as a solo pedal, but I plan to use it with more pedals on my pedalboard with a daisy chain, I've heard that there is no problem with using it with other pedals chained to it. I'm using it only for home playing and recording, but I would use it for sure in a gig, with a guitar or a keyboard. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought the Zoom G1on not for the guitar effects, I bought it for the looper function, it's built on 30 second looper, separately the rec/play/overdub button and the Stop button. You can use it on Manual mode, or be set for single notes, up to 64. It also has a rhythm machine with a lot of different genres, obviously I like the rock ones. You can use the Looper and the Rhythm at the same time, when you use it, you're gonna hear a counting before you start recording, so you don't have to press the Rec button and play or strum your guitar at the first beat. When you're using only the Looper, you won't hear the counting, you have to press the Rec button and play the first beat at the same time, but it's not hard, it only need practice but you'll get it quickly. The down part it's that there is no Undo/Redo, so if you make a mistake, you have to clear what you've recorded. You can clear pressing and holding down the Stop button.

Overall, if you're looking for an amazing guitar effects pedal, maybe you can find something else, but if you're looking for a Looper and you're short on budget, this is an amazing looper! It's only $50 and Zoom it's a very nice brand. The other looper machines on the market are really expensive. // 9

G1on Reviewed by: Kester628, on may 05, 2015

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Ease of Use: As I said above it is great for good sounds but editing patches can be difficult and the manual only takes you so far in understanding how to change and create patches. I have owned Zoom pedals before and thought it wouldn't be that different but it is. Most of all be patient with it, give it anywhere from a week to a month to get to understand it and you won't be disappointing but I will admit it would be nice to be able to use it to it's full capacity straight out of the box. The G3 and G5 appear to be easier to use straight away, so maybe consider testing them out before depending on your budget. // 6

Sound: First of all I play anything from folk to deathcore, so I need a multi-effects pedal that can handle that range. And with all the effects on here it does that perfectly, in fact there is too much choice. The overall sound of the ones I do use are great, the sound fits in perfectly with what style I am playing at the time and would in my opinion beat a more expensive pedal. Zoom have really done a good job on making this pedal. It also makes any guitar sound great which may be a good or a bad thing, at the moment I'm using an Epiphone ES-Dot and it makes it pretty easy to do heavy metal with it, and I still have the stock pickups installed.  So yes an impressive sound bank, the only let down is the drum machine that sounds like a techno song on a very sh-tty car radio. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have own Zoom pedals before and I know that they will always work 100%. Though for durability I have not used this live yet but it is a plastic pedal instead of the normal metal casing, so jumping up and down on it may not be the best idea ever. I guess that is what makes it cheaper than the rest. I also have the Wah Wah version and I'm not sure how long the Wah Wah pedal will last. I'll do an update when I use it live, so far it has only gone from the box to the studio and hasn't been subjected to a live performance, I hope the casing can with stand rapid changing between effects. // 6

Overall Impression: So as I've mentioned, I play anything from folk to deathcore and this multi-effects pedal suits very well. During my time as a guitarist (8 years) I have used the Boss ME-20 and the Zoom ME-50. So far I like the G1on because of it's range but the Zoom ME-50 was easier to make your own patches, where as on this pedal it is nearly impossible. I think that for now it is a good multi-effect pedal, but if Zoom brought out an upgraded version I would consider buying that.  So yes great product but in a metal casing and easier patch creating would be better. // 8

Comments