G1X review by Zoom

Zoom: G1X

Purchased from: Your Music

Well, I use a Stratocaster 2 classic Fender pickups on the neck and middle position and 1 Squier pickup on the bridge position. I mostly use the neck and the middle pickup, very rarely the bridge pickup. I also have few other custom made guitars but 1 which I mainly use with this pedal, a custom made with EMG 60, 81 active humbuckers. The amp I use is a Fender Frontman 15R and I sometimes also hook up a subwoofer to my amp so that it gives me a more bassy sound. The sound I get from this pedal is really amazing. To be honest, I fell in love with the sound the 1st time when I tried it in the guitar shop. There is almost no noise at all. The effects are great, but on some specific distortion channels the Wah may be a little weak, but that's not a big deal for me as I don't reall use the Wah effect. The distortion channels are amazing and the acoustic simulator is really good too. The Zoom G1X has a whole set of editable patches dedicated to artists. Some of my favorites are, such as the Kirk Hamlett lead and the Kurt Cobain Clean, and Breathe (Pink Floyd). My fav band is Nirvana, and the fact that they dedicated a patch to Kurt made me really happy, and I have to admit, it is really good. Apart from the artist effects, there are other amazing effects, some of my favorites are the flanger, chorus, the DZ Drive, and the MS Drive. This pedal is really amazing and has a really good sound.

I mainly play all types of metal, Grunge and classic rock.. also a little bit of blues and jazz, but mainly metal/grunge/rock, and I think that this pedal is pretty good for those three genres. I've been playing for about 1 and a half years. I also own a DigiTech Grunge pedal, a Behringer UD100, UM100 and a Korg AX5G multi effects pedal (which I replaced by buying this). I decided to buy this pedal as I heard that Zoom products were very good, and that they're good for the type of music I play, and after trying it at the guitar shop, I had no doubts that this was the perfect pedal for me, and also because I was very unsatisfied with my Korg AX5G pedal. I really wish I had known about this pedal when I bought my first multi effects (about 2months ago). If this were ever stolen or lost or anything happened to it, I would definitely buy a new one, because this is an amazing pedal and it is very reasonably priced. I compared this to my Korg AX5G (my 1st multi effects pedal) and I think this is much better than the Korg pedal. I really wish it had a bigger expression pedal as I think the expression pedal on this is a bit too small for me, as I have a size 12 foot, but hey, not everyone wears a size 12, so I don't know about others, but I wish it had a bigger expression pedal. But overall, I am very satisfied with this product, and if other Zoom products are this good, then I am always going in for a Zoom product.

I think this pedal is very dependable. I've never used any pedal without a backup in a gig, as I'm just paranoid something might happen. So, no, I don't think I'd use this without a backup. I've been told by a friend (Who uses a Zoom B2 pedal) that his pedal can go upto 2days continuous on batteries. So, yea, you could probably go without a backup, but I don't think I would ever do that.

The Zoom G1X is my first Zoom product, and I have to tell you, I am very impressed by the ease of use. Just one quick glance at he manual, and you will be able to make killer tones with this pedal. The manual is very clear and explains everything you need to know. Editing patches is very easy once you have a quick glance at the manual.