G1X review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Zoom: G1X

Purchased from: Morlings House Of Music

I'm using it with a Jackson DK2M Dinky into a Randall RG50TC. I don't use the pedal very much with the Randall, but I did when I had my Marshall AVT. Some of the effects are pretty useless, but there are some nice ones in there. The Whammy effect sounds extremely fake, and the Noise-Gate effect completely kills your sustain. The phaser is after distortion, not before, which makes it useless for Van Halen type things. The wah is fine, but I've never used a 'real' wah before.

I play all sorts of stuff, and this pedal handles it fine. I've been playing for 3 years, and I had a Zoom GFX-1 before this, and I have a Behringer DD100 and MXR Phase-90. If it was stolen/lost, I'd just buy some single effects, because I don't really use this anymore, apart from wah, chorus, a boost, and octave down, and maybe flanger. Nothing in particular that I really like about this. It would be much easier if this had a few more buttons, like a modulation and boost button, but that's why Zoom has higher end products.

This is made of plastic. The batteries refuse to stay in (have to use an adaptor), one of the knobs came off, the left selector broke and moves through all settings way too fast. It's never just 'Stopped Working', so it's not completely unreliable. Would I use this at a gig? Hell no. But since I don't have anything else for it, I have to.

Since this is a multi-effects pedal with only two foot-switches, it's going to be hard to program it so you can have any effect whenever you want. The actual sound can be quite good, but you'll need to do a lot of tinkering. Editing patches is easy if you know how, but if you don't know how, prepare to be very confused (e.g. amp modelling and noise gate use the same setting). The footswitch seems very stiff and sqeaky for me; too noisy for low volume use. There is a manual, and it goes through everything you need to know.

GuitarManNick
    oh yeah, i need to add something ... now i got the Jackson Kelly JS30KE w/stock pu's ... and it sounds even better!! =D
    udaz
    wtf are u that lazy that u can't take the lead out of the port, this pedia is awesum, u need to the change the noise gate and znrs if u wana get that fuzzy noise out, the drum machines alrite needs more beats and the tempo is pretty easy to change READ THE MANUAL