G1X review by Zoom

Zoom: G1X

Purchased from: Green Brothers

I'm using either my 'crap' Ashton Strat, or my Squier Tele, thru this and my crap Ashton GA10, and Marshall MG30DFX. If you have a decent guitar like a Squier or Epiphone, and decent amp (Marshall)all the effects will sound good. The Zoom has 54 effects and the wah, and pitch hamonizing is pretty good. The distortion settings can get fuzzy and noisy, but you have to be sure what noise gate you're using. I would have to say the distortions, Overdrive, clean/compression, and chorus setting are my favourite, you can get a Nirvana distortion, Slash chorus, Lynyrd Skynyrd compression, Kirk Hammett Wah, and even a John Frusciante phaser. John Frusciante solos sound very good with the Overdrive and chorus. The single effect always will sound crap but you should add amp, reverb, and the equalization settings.

I play any rock/blues/and funk which I like, a multi effects pedal such as the Zoom G1X is good for me because I have such a diverse taste of music, although I would not suggest this to a mate Who liked a single genre such as metal, then I would advise them to buy a Boss Metal Zone or something more towards and useful to them. I've been play for about 2 years, I used to own a Crossfire Distortion which was very crappy. I own a Squier Tele, and Strat, and my amps A Marshall MG30DFX, and Ashton GA10 I bought this for my diverse taste of music and the price tag. I would buy this again because of its price and sound, but if I had a bit more cash I would be lke any one else and get something a bit more high end.

I've had this for about 8 months not a hassle, it's not like I'm using it as armour, it's made out of plastic but survives the fall down the stairs. At a gig I would use it without a backup, it's very stable and I'm not gona use it as a rug. The batteries also run for a long time, but it also depends on what batteries your using.

This pedal is not the type you can just look at and use, read the manual! Editing patches is a breeze once you've read it. The manual is excellent, and the expression pedal, I suggest should be oiled a little then you can get the easiest movements out of it. Even crappy batteries last for a while (5 hours) with the Zoom.

Jonny Danger
    Noob here, just curious what settings to set on the G1X to get a "white stripes" sound. Songs like: slicker drips, astro, and canon. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!