G1X review by Zoom

Zoom: G1X

Purchased from: eBay

I'm using a Cort Zenox Z-44 with double-humbuckers and a Crate GT212 amp. I'm yet to use my Washburn acoustic with it. I haven't noticed the slightest unwanted noise. It's as quiet as a mouse. Effects are quite controlable and impressive. Every effect can be weakened or strengthened by means of one or two parameters. I can't isolate any particular effect which is better than the rest though I have noted one or two patches with enormous distortion. The acoustic simulator is quite nice. And the variety of wah's gives you some options in that area.

I play ballads and blues and this processor fits the bill perfectly. I love good, clean, sounds - sometimes with a bit of punch - and occasionally some mild distortion. In small quantities, I also like to have some vibration or echo. There are plenty of these options here. I've messed around with guitars for over 20 years but only started getting serious (serious amateur) in the last three years. Other gear I own include a selection of blues harps, a custom-built two-octave panflute made of blue gum and polished aluminium, and a ukulele. Is there something I wish I'd asked before buying this? Most definitely! "Why didn't I buy it earlier?" If it was lost/stolen, I'd buy it again. I love it's sturdy construction, easy of use, and quality/variety of sound. I bought a secondhand Korg Toneworks. While it was faulty, I found it noisy and totally unpleasant to use. This is a dream in comparison.

I've only just bought it, but it's clearly well made. I would trust it based upon my own brief experience and the great number of fantastic user reviews - both on this site and others. I've only read one negative review among them all - and that by a person Who appears to be a whinger and rough on his equipment (just my impression). I would happily use it on a gig without a backup.

This is a very intuitive piece of equipment. It took about 20 minutes to get a hang of the multi-function knobs. Thereafter, it took little thought to choose specific effects. When a good sound is achieved, saving it as a patch is incredibly easy and quick. The manual is easy to understand with plenty of diagrams showing the front of the processor with relevant labels. The only thing missing was a patch list showing the 40 preset patches.