G1X review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Zoom: G1X

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: Bam Music Center

I'm using it with the Ibanez GRX40 electric guitar and the Ibanez TBX30 amp. It works really well with this setup and I haven't encountered any problems so far. It isn't noisy at all. But even though its specifications say it has a lot of effects, you have only about 10 usefull. Instead of having a lot of diffirent types of distorsion you just have like 20 presets that you could easely copy just by using the controls on the amp. Some of the effects are weak (Wah Wah, Delay,...) most are moderat and there are some really usefull ones. But it is true that you get a lot of useful presets like the Zakk Wylde Wah-Wah, Curt Cobain Come As You Are preset,...

I play blues, hard rock, RN'R etc. And it suits my style preety well from a begginers point of view but if I ever felt the need to buy a serious effect I definetly wouldn't choose this one. I have been playing for two years and from my end my friends experience I wouldn't put this effect in the "serious" category but I would recommend it for begginers who would like to explore all the guitar effects before chosing a serious one. If it were stolen or lost I definetly wouldn't buy another one, now that I know which are my favourite effects and would probably buy a nice Dunlop Wah pedal. Its main plus is its ease of use. I recommend it for begginers but I almost forbid buying it to anyone who knows something about effects. It probably belongs with a Guitar starter pack.

On one side its pretty realiable because it has never broke down and has never needed any real repairs but it just drains the batteries and doesn't last long at all. It's true that you get the AC adapter with it but that isnt really usefull on stage. It's not very durable because it's entirely maid of plastic and even looks kind of cheap. But it should still hold on for a long time if you use it with a racional amount of force. I personall wouldn't take it to the gig because of the short battery life, the controls layout (the controls are put very togather so it's hard to hit the right control) and because of its plastic exterior.

My Zoom G1X is preety easy to use. You don't need to waste hours and hours for searching for the right tone or learning the controls. You just have to read the 5-10 page manual and you're set to go. It's a great choice for begginers that don't have ANY experience with guitar effects want to explore them. Editing patches is REALLY EASY - you have one controle to chose witch effect are you adding or changing, one control to change the level/parameter of the effect and a store button. It also has a built in Chromatic Tuner that has done wonders for me and a rythym machine. It has 40 preset effects patches, 40 effects patches you can set to your own values and 40 preset rythm patches so you have basicly all the patches you need. The pedal that comes with it is also preety easy to use. You just have to select the effect you will be controling with the pedal (with a really simple button next to the pedal) and you can't start stomping the poor box.

Ziaul Asif
    This little multi effect pedal is very good in my opinion, cause this pedal has some good tones if u can tweak it to right. I mostly play System Of A Down songs in my band and it really helped. The distortions are good but a little noisy cause the noise gate isn't that well cause it cuts the sustain when u raise it higher. I giged 2 times with it and its good . Now I bought the Boss ME 70 and its great too but I still like the Zoom G1X for home practicing .