G1XNext review by Zoom

Zoom: G1XNext

Purchased from: JB Music Philippines

I use it with a Fender Squier Stratocaster SE and a Laney LX65R. There is a little static, actually. But it's due to the bridge pick-up of the stratocaster. Haven't done any modifications with my gear aside from adjusting the truss rod and the bridge height. So the static would probably be due to the stock pickups - at least that's what I get from most reviews too. Anyway, the effects in the Zoom G1XNext is very good. I love the EQ, it's accurate enough for me and helps me get a the tone I want. I mostly use the blues Drive and the Marshall drive. The Reverb and Delay is good. When I try to go EVH, I use his Peavey Drive model (PV) and add a little chorus with it. The pitch shift is also awesome. However, its levels depends on the scale that you're playing, I think. The Cry Baby Wah sounds good. I suppose you can give it an 8 out of 10 stars if you'd rate how it compares to the original Classic Dunlop Cry Baby Wah. What I don't like with this one is that you can't mix up two modulations (Chorus, pitch bend, etc.) as well as two Comp/Efx functions (Booster, compressor, wah, etc). But if you're not really into mixing these effects up with each other, you'll be fine.

I've been playing for 7 years now. And this is my first multiple guitar effects. I usually play a bit of blues and modern rock. And it suits my needs. But if it were stolen or got lost, I'd probably get pissed off because you don't get this one at the price I got it (PhP 4, 600 ~ USD 100+). In the Philippines, guitars and accessories' prices are usually doubled compared to the ones in the US. But if I have the cash, I'd probably go for a Boss multi-effects board or the Zoom G2.1Nu or maybe a set of stomp boxes because they're more advanced and have better sound quality than my Zoom G1XNext. What I love about this though is it's ease of use and the good tone. It's good enough to get the sound of my desired gear. At first, I wanted to set my gear with an Overdrive, Delay, Reverb, and Wah. So I was thinking to go for Boston pedals because they say that it can match the ones of Boss and Digitech, and just save some money to get a Dunlop Classic Cry Baby Wah afterwards. But when I got to the store, I saw this one and tried it out. After that, without a doubt, I bought it. My budget was tight but this little fella gave me just what I needed. It's not too advanced, and not an overkill for my set up. But it gets the job done.

I can definitely depend on it and would use this one on stage. It's expression pedal is a bit squeaky though. But I think I just need to oil it up a little. I've had this for seven months and it's the only problem I've had so far.

It's very easy to use, more like very intuitive that you only need to know what the acronyms mean. The adjustment of levels are really easy. Editing the patches and switching the pedal functions are also easy to do. I haven't fully read the manual but in less than an hour, I got the hang of it. It also has 40 patches that you can save and edit, and 40 artist patches that are un-editable - I don't use the latter much though.

nailsarecruel
    I've been playing a lot more since I got mine as a present from a buddy for Christmas 2010. It's not perfect and I've singled out about 8 effects I use regularly, but it will give you an idea for what type of rig you'd want when you can afford better.
    H, Omitted
    I've been playing around with this unit. Of all the artist presets I actually like A9 (the "acoustic" sound), B0 (it's supposed to be like a Metallica Black Album sound), and C9 (a George Lynch-esque clean tone w/ chorus). However they sound good through headphones.
    5t0rM
    I hate how it looks. Just terrible. But it can be twice as ugly who gives a... I like its sound, few effects are just mind-blowing, and I don't need 10000 effects, just find 4-5 effects that are suitable for your playing and you're good. I personally love a lot of bass over distortion and this pedal gives me that. It does the job properly.
    Vampire_Prince
    Absolutely terrible pedal! had it for around a month and hated everything about it! props to the guy who sold it to me as his pitch was good enough to get me to buy this pile of wank, but yeah, i traded it with some money for a new guitar off my friend who wanted a pedal with a wah effect... best deal of my life!
    vince.mondi
    I agree with you Vamp, the sound quality isn't that good, really. I'm starting to dislike the tone it gives me. It's naturally high on the mids. So I bought an EHX Tube EQ. It sounds better now. But still, I can't get a decent enough drive from it. I'm only keeping it for because of the modulations.