G1XNext review by Zoom

Zoom: G1XNext

Purchased from: The Music Shop Wester Suburbs

It is truly incredibly easy to edit the preset patches to get a good/the desired sound out of it. The manual explains everything perfectly, and it takes less than three hour's worth of messing around to pick out your favourite patches, create a couple that you might need or want, and start rocking to your hearts content. You need not worry about the firmware - it is not upgradeable. The patches are edited by knowing what the symbols displayed mean, turning two knobs and pressing three or four buttons, depending on what you want. I reckon a kid seeing a guitar for the first time could do it.

This Zoom sounds as good as any entry level multi - effects processor. It has several patches with universal implementation, and specialized presets for most music genres, which means it will suit most guitarists who are not hooked on sound "quality" reduction due to the multi - effects processor status/classification. It is amlost noiseless, and has a noise gate (Z.N.R. for Zoom Noise Reduction) which can eliminate most if not all the static feedback problems. I use my LP60 guitar with it (which has extra high resistance humbucking pickups so that I do not have to deal with the afore - mentioned problems) and my semi - decent SMART III amplifier. I use the Zoom overdrive and gain instead of the amplifier's one.

This little processor can withstand some serious stomping, and can take a live gig on without a back up with ease. I still cannot decide whether the body is a very hard plastic or a metal, but the point is that I have dropped the thing several times and it has no marks, scratches or dents. I am sure the first thing that will break is the display that would burn from the amount of displaying hours. The pedal is not perfectly balanced though, and when stomped on a little hard can cause the whole unit to tilt and rotate, causing other potential problems.

I play almost everything on a regular basis: from slow 1950's - style jazz and blues lead to fast modern death metal rhythm. I absolutely love the way this pedal is able to handle that wide variety of playing and some of the presets were perfected for a particular music genre. Though I do use this with my first electric guitar, and I am inexperienced in that aspect, but have been playing acoustic guitar for almost four years now. If this were somehow damaged beyond the warranty or lost, I would definitely buy another one again as there is no other price to quality to content equivalent on the market yet. The only thing is that I wish it had U.S.B. connectivity, more preset patches/options and upgradeable firmware.