G2 review by Zoom

Zoom: G2

Purchased from: Sound Control

This is the best part of the kit. It blew my expections completely. I got this pedal as a gift as it had a built-in rhythm Machine. But when I tried it home, it was great (now I want to buy one for myself). Amp modelling. The clean sounds are clean & clear. The AC30 & Roland JC Amp sims are very good for clean sounds. For distorted sounds, the Zoom Extreme Distortion & Boss MT-2 are excellent and give provide enough crunch. It also has other drive amps like the Boss OD-2 simulator, an acoustic simulator (this is not bad but not the greatest), a Fender Twin Reverb, a Mesa Boogie stack simulator (this gives very good crunchy distortion). Effects. It's got a very nice chorus & delays. Has a harmonic pitch shifter (fancy playing maiden solos). The flanger was acceptable and the Wah works well. It has a new effects called steps which is very interesting. Reverb. Quality spring reverb and settings for echo and delays which are very good too. ZNR has a pretty noise reduction system. I have absolutely no extra noise. I would recommend you try this yourself to check the sounds, they are fantastic & considering the price, it is one best pedals for starters and intermediates. I run my Yamaha Pacifica through the G2 into the headphones or a Marshall MG15DFX.

I have to say that I have been a starter for many years in terms of talent. I play mostly clean, as a starter try to practice with stuff like Hank Marvin for clean lead tones. Also play some stuff like Green Day and Blink 182, Snow Patrol. I mostly experiment with sounds and chord progressions. If it was stolen, I would buy another one. I have a Korg AX1500G which also I love for the clean sounds but the distortion is not that good on the Korg, I would say that the G2 matches the Korg for clean sounds easily which was a pleasent surprise. The best thing about the Zoom G2 is the sound it produces for the price (69 British Pounds).

It is built well, a change from the older Zoom models that were extremely plastic. This has metal body with rubber sides, can take it to a gig.

It doesn't the easiest user interface, but once you get used to it, it works like a charm & you can start editing your own patches. The only downside is that you have to setup each of the category of effects that is compressor, drive, effects, delay, using the same control knobs which needs getting used to.