G2 review by Zoom

Zoom: G2

Purchased from: Owen Ray

My usual gear is a Marshall MG50DFX through a Celestion quad, Peavy Predator XPS and two Les Pauls. Some of the amp/distortion models create quite a bit of buzz but there are so many to choose from that it's only a matter of dialing up one of the quieter models. The harmonizer and pitch shifter effects sound amazing as do the reverb and delay effects.

I play in a covers band that covers material from Floyd to Simple plan so it's a very wide spread of sounds that I require. I've been playing for 30 years and the other gear that I own/use is to long to post here. I did compare this unit to its bigger brother the G2\.1U only for the fact that it had the expression pedal but it was double the price so dollar for dollar this was the better deal.

Apart from the dials on the front of the unit sitting up a little too high. This unit seems quite sturdy. I would happily use this unit without backup but my momma didn't raise no fool and I will keep my older effects handy.

I've only just purchased this unit today, so I have'nt had too much of an opportunity to play around with it too much. The factory settings, patches and banks are very nice.. in fact, you could quite happily use the unit just on these settings alone. Editing patches seems to be easy. I've already done a few. The manual is a bit lacking when it comes to combing effects into one patch still trying to figure that one out. This unit is not PC connectable like it's big brother the G2\.1U so it has not been flash upgraded.