G2 review by Zoom

Zoom: G2

Purchased from: Rikaxxe

My guitar is the biggest pile of rubbish ever (Peavey Raptor, why doubt they just stick to amps), but this box makes it sound awesome. The Overdrive alone makes it worth buying this pedal, ranging from very chunky sounds, to fat fuzzing and pure scream. The reverb and delay are also awesome, excellent for some more classical finger picking, and while coupled with the accoustic simulator make for an amazing chilled out tone. The auto harmoniser is by far the most impressive, however, rendering the sounds instantly and in perfect balance. You can have happy upbeat sounding harmonies, or extreamily mean Bulet for my valentine style stuff.

This can play anything you want it to, but performs especially well for punk and heavy metal players (the Overdrive is ust too good for words). More gothic style soloing also sounds excellent. At the other end of the spectrum, more accoustic style playing (which I also do a lot of) seems great, infact better sounding than my 100 accoustic guitar itself.

This thing is built like a tank. It is tiny, yet deceptively heavy (which always reassures me of reliability), and the solid metal casing shows no scratches or dents after a few weeks playing. The patch changing is instant, with the stomp buttons feeling solid, yet never demanding too much force. I have already played 2 school gigs with it and it has performed very well indeed. I do, however, worry about the control knobs being damaged, they seem solid, but I can be careless with my kitr sometimes. Having said this, they stick out less than those on other effects boxes.

Ok, this is my first ever effects box, as I have only been playing guitar for six months, and I thought that it would be too complex. My first use, however, dispelled any worries. The interface is the easiest thing ever, and after having given the intructions a once through, and having fiddled about for an hour, I was already making some pretty decent patches from scratch.