G2 review by Zoom

Zoom: G2

Price paid: € 99

I use them with my Ibanez GAX30 and TBX15R at home. I also used them with larger speaker system-about 1000 watts and it still sounded good. Pitch shifter function is the only one that disaponted me, instead of shifting pich as the name suggests it only adds the alterned sound to original. I tried it for playing GN'R without downtuning once(I set the pitch shifter to lower the sound for one semitone) and it sounded really horrible. Harmoniser acctualy works surprisingly well. I also like acoustic "distortion" wich sounds very nice and auto wah and resonate functions. They give such meaning to dinamics. I miss dynamics dependent overdrive, but maybe I culd create a patch for that.

I mostly play rock stuff, from classic rock to alternate, Indie, punk or metal, even some blues and acoustic stuff. If fits me quite well, because of it's big nubmer of overdives (17 or 19 I belive) and I can create patch for almost everything if I have enough time. I totaly love the no attack function wich makes your guitar sound like a violin whithout messing with the volume knob on guitar itself. In combination with delay you can play even som relaxing/meditation music. I just miss the pedal for real time adjustments like the one in Zoom G2.1U (wich is about 70% more expensive here so to expensive for me). I might buy additional pedal sometime, maybe.

I really trust this product. It has never failed me. I could sure use it for a gig without a backup, running on DC power. I never tried it on batteries and probably won't until I have my DC adaptor.

It takes some time to get the yound you want because it has a really big span of effects bulit in. Editing is quite complex, you need to study the manual first else you won't get anywhere. After some time when you get used to it doesn't seem so complex anymore, but after few months I still don't know all the effects bulit in. Manual is really good, it explains all procedures from putting the baterries in to creating custom patches and explains all effects and settings.