G2 review by Zoom

Zoom: G2

Purchased from: eBay

I'm using it with a Fender Frontman 15G and AV50T Marshall half stack. The effects are generally good, with a few crap ones, but for the price, they're good. I've been able to get a Slash type sound which I use quite a lot. The good thing with this amp is that people post vids on youtube/text guides on sites onto how to recreate certain sounds of your favourite artists, meaning there's loads of possibilities.

Some of the more subtle tones, such as the Overdrive and amp modellers are good for my band's type of music, but the phaser and delay gives me more options and is fun to mess about with. If this were to be stolen I would replace it straight away, this pedal does everything I want it to and more. It has a phaser, auto wah, delay, amp models, EQ and much more. The only thing I'd like it to have is a pedal so that I could do the wah manually, but the reason I didn't get that is because I cheaped out on the G2 and not the G2.1U which comes with an expression pedal.

The thing is built like a tank, I've dropped it countless times and it has shown no signs of breaking, and don't drop it on your foot, it hurts like a bitch. I probaly would gig without a backup as this is all I've got and my band doesn't really require a pedal as we don't use delay or phaser etc, just the pedal gives me a wider choice of distortion sounds and makes my cleans nicer, especially the Vox clean effect.

The pedal is not to hard to get used to, it just takes abit of using and reading the manual. Editing patches isn't to hard once you get used to it, you just got select the effect then twiddle the knobs until you find the sound you're looking for and you can then layer the effects over each other, for instance, chorus and delay, to create some really unique sounds. The Manual is rather good actually, providing helpful pictures and not just paragraph after paragraph of boring and uninformative text.