G2 review by Zoom

Zoom: G2

Purchased from: Deals - Cardiff

I personally use a 75watt amp with an Ibanez rg350ex. With all these as a combination it sounds really good. Some of te effects on the G2 are a bit weak but some of them are amazing. The only problem with the effects that I have is changing from one to another in the middle of a song. (e.g. Say ou wanted to go from effect 1 to 10. It takes ages). I have to admit though some of the distortion effects are really meaty and give great sound quality.

I play a lot of punk/pop punk songs ad the pedal gives me a great variety of sounds for each one. As there are lots of distortion effects on this it gives me a great sound quality. Finally, if I were you I wouldn't buy this I would wait and collect single pedal and create a pedal board. This option maybe a lot more expensive, but trust me if you have the money to do so I would for sure as pedal boards are the ultimate. You can get your favourite noises out of the guitar whilst looking cool on stage with loads of effects pedals.

I would definately depend on this pedal as it is robust and can take a few knocks. For a gig I would'nt take a back up pedal as it is a really reliable pedal. I have had this item for four years now and have not had to take it back for repairs or maintenance(touch wood) so far.

Fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it. Good effects on there but when you put the drums on to keep rythm whilst playing. The drums go really quiet when the guitar is playing and when the guitar is silent the drums go loud again. Does this on all amplifiers. The manual that comes with the G2 is quite complex if i'm honest as it goes into detail a bit too much and gets hard to understand.

martinbg
    eyesonly wrote: I don't know what quality of equipment or ability to hear people writing these reviews must have but it must be pretty bad because this pedal is just aweful sounding through my Gibson's into a point to point wired handmade amp. If people find a use for it then I'm happy for them but nothing on this thing sounds even as good, let alone better, than some basic stand alone pedals. Sure it's got a lot of effects, but they all sound terrible so it's not very useful. Of course it's not costing a lot of money so that's a good thing but really it's not worth buying because did I mention already? it's got a lot of effects, but they all sound terrible so it's unusable. I have mine back on eBay because it sounds so bad. I have used it for a couple of hours and I wish to mention the fact that I bought a G2.1u very early on a few years ago, but I wanted to check it out again. In that time I've gotten a small collection of pedals which sound awesome through my amps. This pedal is soo very bad, but that's digital for you. On paper it looks good, 96kHz sampling which is more than anything else around, and fastest patch change than anything else around. The effects are weak imitaions of the real thing and there is a total staleness of tone like you are eating a frozen vegetable compared to fresh. That's the worst part about it. Even bypassed it sounds bad.
    This pedal is for beginners and intermediates, in fact all low end digital effects are ( and yes, BOSS GT-10 is a low end digital effect, a high end digital effect starts with digidesign's eleven rack ), so you can't compare this to an analog pedal connected to a tube amp (duh!). These types of digital multieffects color your sound up to the point where you can't recognise if you're playing a 1K $ Strat or a 250$ Ibanez through them. This is why these are designed to be played with cheap guitars. If you have a Gibson don't even bother looking for digital effects, get a Dual Rectifier and a decent analog pedal and you are ready for everything.
    rich.t
    I got this pedal about 3 years ago along with my first electric guitar after I had been playing for about 4 months. It has been brilliant ever since I had it! It is an especially good piece of equipment for the price and I would recommend it to anyone. You can get such a huge range of effects from it and changing between the effects is so quick and smooth it is ideal for playing live. I have used it live on numerous occasions without a backup. It is very sturdy and even after 3 years it is hardly showing any signs of wear. The only problem I have had with it (and it was quite annoying) was one of the main switches breaking. Maybe I was hitting it too hard or often, I don't know, but I contacted zoom outlining my problem expecting them to tell me to send it to them for an expensive fix. Their response surprised me, they simply told me what they thought was the problem (they were right) and asked me for my address so they could send me the required component so I could fix it myself, free of charge The fix was very easy. just taking a few screws out and replacing the switch on the circuit board. I am not amazing at soldering or electronics but i got the job done (replacing both switches to be safe) in about 40 minutes. Zoom have made me very happy with this product, both with the quality of the product and the customer service.