G2 review by Zoom

Zoom: G2

Purchased from: Amazon

I have a good Ibanez GRG170DX and a really horrible 10-watt amp, but I can get some really amazing tones with the G2. Because of the amp, the clean tones are really fuzzy, but the distortion is superb. There are several amp and stompbox simulators on the Drive module (which are excellent) and an Acoustic simulator (which could be better). I play mostly hard rock and metal, like Metallica, GnR, and the like, and I've found the MS Drive to be excellent for these tones. I've only had it a couple of months, so I haven't fiddled with the other modules too much, but there's not much interference. All in all, the sound more than makes up for the bad user interface, and is a lot better than I expected for the price.

As I've mentioned, I play a lot of metal, and the distortion effects suit my style perfectly. I generally use the Compressor module too, and throw some EQ into the mix, and that's about enough. It's the only effects unit I own, and I won't need another one for a while. If it was stolen or lost, I might save up and buy a Zoom G2.1 or Zoom G2.1Nu, because of the USB interface and built-in expression pedal, but I'd have no qualms about getting the G2 again. I compared it with the G1 and some DigiTech pedals, but my guitar teacher firmly recommended this one, and I'm happy I got it. Also, I've heard that DigiTech has bad distortion, so...

I've heard a lot of comments about the Boss pedals, along the lines of "you could drop a nuclear bomb on it and the casing wouldn't break". In terms of durability, the G2 seems like that, IMHO. The feature that makes it stand out from the Zoom G1 is that it has metal casing with rubber on the sides, while the G1 is plastic, so it's far more durable. I haven't gigged with it, because I'm not in a band yet, but I play on it at least 2 hours a day, 4 or 5 on a weekend, and it's not even scratched. So yes, I would gig without a backup, but I'd either keep some spare batteries with me or use the adapter.

First of all, let me start off by saying that this little unit can coax the most amazing sounds out of the worst amps ever made. That being mentioned, the user interface is very tricky, and it is almost impossible to edit patches without the user manual. The parameter table in the manual is confusing at first, but explains the unit very well. Also, switching patches in real time is extremely difficult if you're using more than two or three, as you have to toggle the footswitches repeatedly to find what you want.

klon999
    Hi guys, do you think that VOX Stomplab 1G/2G would sound that digital, too? Did anybody compare live? I mean overdrive/distortion modes, not all the other effects (usually I am OK with digital Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, etc., but overdrive/distortion I always prefer analogue...)