G2.1Nu review by Zoom

Zoom: G2.1Nu

Price paid: C$ 199.99

Purchased from: Somewhere online. maybe musicians friend

I am using an Ibanez GRX20 electric and Ibanez Talman acoustic-electric guitars through it, and both sound great! I have a Traynor amp, nothing special, cost me 100$ don't even know the model name... The product gets noisy at times when the effect is very distorted but thats to be expected in my opinion. Also I didn't bother changing the sound gate for noise reduction at all.. And that was suggested in the manuel. The effects always sound great, but I have to admit, I won't use more then 25 of the presets. But thats simply because a lot of them aren't my style and I don't like being distracted by too many choices, they only blind the guitarist. I can get the sound of almost all of my favourite artists, in fact with the manuel comes a sheet with all the effects and their description with 30 effects imitating different artists: Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Malmsteem all have their own patches and sound quite like them, and can be edited to be as close as possible, as every guitar has its own voice. There's also blues patches, lead patches, distorted metal patches. Those would be my primary styles :) As mentioned earlier, I don't know how to use Steve Vai's effects.. They're really spacey and echoey. I'm just not into that. The Acoustic sim. As well is not amazing, but works to an extent. Other then that they're all amazing. So 12 out of 100 patches aren't AMAZING? Still deserves a 10.

I play blues, metal, rock, punk, some jazz. Its perfect for everything. Because it has everything :) I've been playing for a bit over a year and I don't think of myself as bad, this is my second effects pedal/processor. I own a R.A.T. distortion pedal. Guess what? Its emulated in the G2.1Nu :P I don't even need the rat anymore. If it we're stolen or lost, I'd use my guitar as a club and beat who ever stole it. Then I'd by it again, and maybe a strat with it :P there is really nothing I did like about this, I suggest buying the one with pedal, the 2.1, its only 50 dollars more, but it proves quite useful. I don't see why you'd ever want any other multi-effets processor :)

This thing is a tank. Metal all over with some really tough rubber or some other material on the sides. I hope it never happens, but if I drop the processor, I wouldn't worry much. The display is behind uplifted metal grooves, so the chance of that being damaged is minute. Maybe if someone threw a rock at it.. I would defs not bring a back up to a gig, not that I'm quite to that level anyway :( solid product none the less.

Getting a good sound is the easiest thing ever.. You can't get a bad one. There are some 100 patches, and some done by Steve Vai! All the patches are a little different and have a huge range, from delays and choruses, to crunchy distortion and really dark tones, to 'ocean' sounds with tons of echo. All awesome. The only reason I'd give this a 9 is cause its not perfect. The Acoustic sim. Isn't as close as one would want to be, and the steve vai patches are kinda.. Weird. I can't seen anyway to use most of his. Anyway, moving on, there's also 100 patches that you can edit yourself or upload from your computer. Editing patches is pretty straight-forward, but I really recommend reading the manuel. Not cause you'll be confused right off the bad, but because you might learn some really cool tips and tricks in it. The manuel has a good 50 pages, 30 of which are purely for menus and stuff. The last 20 are specifically about editing and stuff. Really easy read and I suggest unpacking that first :) my firmware is still at v1.01. So probably the very first one.. But this thing is even easier to use then I thought it would be.

G_The_Enemy
    Linkerman
    twat wrote: A Boss will be built better.
    NHECOS wrote: Go for the BOSS ME-25 or the ME-70
    I agree with both.
    Shmiff
    Linkerman wrote: You're the one misleading people with your biased and inaccurate review. "Amazing", "amazing", "amazing"... Everything in this is amazing for you... I'd like to see your face after trying TC Electronic's Nova System. Now that's an amazing multi-FX unit. And saying that this piece of junk is better than the Boss ME-70... It's just ridiculous.
    Dude, a review is supposed to be based on opinion. This is a review of one product not between it and something else that costs 100 quid more. He's the reviewer and in his opinion it's an awesome pedal, so it's misleading to call something misleading if it doesn't contain any false information or fact
    NHECOS
    G_The_Enemy wrote: Is it worth getting this or the Boss Me-25? I don't really know much about effects pedals so help would be appreciated
    Go for the BOSS ME-25 or the ME-70
    Guitar1969
    I have owned a G2.1u(prior version) for 5 years now and it is a great pedal for the money. There is better but not for under $200. It is very versatile and has some good tone if you spend the time to tweak it - Don't use the preset sounds, they are garbage. I use direct int othe PA at my church. The only problem I had is a button wore out after awhile(kepp in mind I've had it 5 years now), but I fixed it myself. I just ordered the G2.1nu as the amp models have been improved as well as the interface. Zoom is not as well known as the others but makes great effects pedals and you get more bang for your buck. Here is a pretty unbiased review of it against a Digitech RP255 for those who care: http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Frugal.as... &Page=Digitech RP255 vs ZOOM G2.1nu I have also used Line 6 (such as the Pod Live XT) and quite honestly(but my use was limited) it seemed way overrated as far as quality of amp model sounds(They still sound way too too digital and sterile). Line6 is supposed to be coming out with a new HD model, but its also $400. The Zoom has very good effects and many use just the effects portion of it especially if running with a tube amp.
    fazza82
    I have just purchased the Zoom G2.Nu and would love someone to tell me where I can download new patches from. All of the ones I can find are g2nup files which aren't compatible (at least I don't think they are)... I need g2nua files instead. Anyone know of a decent patch sharing website?? Btw, apart from this the pedal is awesome, cubase software is pretty slick too. Sturdy casing, looks quality made and delivers awesome tone. But, i'm a 'never satisfied' kinda guy and I want more patches.
    Aldeamechanics
    I own a G1 for more than two years (not sure exactly because of extensive use) But recently it stopped working and I cried nearly for a week =( (because it was my first and only pedal) I don't know the reason but I know that the batteries blew and spread some of their crap a long time ago and still worked until a couple of weeks ago. I opened it to check and I found out that if I connected the AC one resistor got hot as hell, and if I put new batteries it wont work. So now I stopped crying and now I am setting my eyes on one of these.
    cris9310
    I have this unit and for the price, it is pretty awesome you have 200 patch capacity, and a lot of options for each one, and it is very reliable, in matters of it breaking or things like that, if you take the regular care, it wont break however there are things I dont like, the wahs are not that good, and the acoustic simulation sounds horrible, specially when using an amp at a high volume since it gives sort of a distorted horrible sound. Also the adapter cable is pretty short however this multi fx pedal is perfect as a first pedal, or for not too picky people.
    Slayer240.sx
    i like my g2.1u and id like to upgarde but zoom isnt the best multi effect units ive used ive used the g7 and the g9 apart from recording there crap and the boss range is wayyy too over priced and their also bulky and annoying to use, haha id kill for the "perfect" multi unit but as far as that goes this is not it
    Linkerman
    Lex Russian wrote: k, just saying, its my review, i made an account after i made it. anyway, don't like the spelling, im sorry. Anyway, this thing is built like a beast, as I stated earlier. its really tough, and everything seems very securely finished. my friend has the Boss ME-70 and its big, clunky, and definitely not as user friendly as the G2Nu/G2.1Nu. perhaps its more powerful, but i do not see how, as i was able to mimic most of my friends effects by tweaking with pre-existing ones on mine for about 3 minutes. i encourage people to buy the G2.1Nu before dissing it. You're all misleading people who can't decide between this and the Boss pedal.
    Lex Russian
    Shoji001
    i have the G7.1UT, got it second hand, and i dont really like it that much! distortion sounds arnt the best, the wah is rubbish and the save/store button broke. i would much prefer individual effects, but it was quite handy
    BurningTheSun
    Also, they should just steal everything from the line 6 amp line. If I could get a line 6 stack, I wouldnt need anything in life.
    BurningTheSun
    I have the Zoom g2.1u and its a beast. i can get everything from slipknot and veil of maya to bright eyes and led zepplin. I really would love an upgrade though. Needs to come with more metal tones, I had to dial my own in.
    espex400
    NGAMER9 wrote: I play the old G1x, love it to death.
    I have the same one, and I have to agree with you, such a good pedal
    rockfreak611
    bodom_reaper wrote: I own G2.0 and it's not very good. i mean there are o lot of different sounds bot most of them are not very useful... i hope this one is way better.
    Then you aren't using it correctly at all. There are tons of sounds i can get out of mine, and they all sound awesome
    sguitar wrote: i have a G2.0 and... it's not reliable. It's about 1 year old and already 1 button is broken, the main two buttons to switch between patches aren't functioning like they should and for some reason it takes forever to start... something wrong with the AC power input. The sound is pretty good, but it usually takes forever to mix a good patch together...
    I've had mine for 3 1/2 years and have never had a problem. you probably should've returned it for a new one if it had a warrenty.
    sguitar
    piop
    I have the G9.2tt, the MUCH bigger brother to this and even that is slightly strange sounding. It compresses the shit out of the everything, so while it's quite nice to DI (it has a USB handily), unless you want crystal cleans or merely usable uber heavy tones then you might want to look at something else.
    bodom_reaper
    gewerh44
    Effects pedals evolve along with technology. The Zoom g2.1Nu is brand new, the Boss pedal you mention is old. And if the Zoom G2.1u was great, the Nu must be awesome. I love Zoom cuz its very friendly, and most important, the sound quality beats Boss anytime.