G2.1U review by Zoom

Zoom: G2.1U

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I use the pedal with a Squier Strat with a Cool Rails humbucker pickup, and it sounds pretty good. I usually use it with headphones or speakers (it sounds a lot better trough PA tho) because it doesn't really work very well with my MicroCube (modelling) amp. I think you could make patches to make it work well on a normal amp, but I don't have one so I couldn't try. It's good enough with the cabinet modelling on tho. It's not noisy unless you maximise the volume. There's a problem with the master volume control, it always resets to 80 when you turn the pedal off, don't know why. The effects are all very good. The pitch modulator has a bug and is apparently a few percents flat when you model it one octave higher, but it's hardly noticeable. All in all, I love the effects in it. But then again, it is a multieffect pedal. I haven't really tried to get any other artists' tones, but I think I can get a pretty good Dream Theater tone, and with some trying probably a lot of others too. I don't like some of the amp models too much, but I only use clean and heavy distortian (ED, extreme distortion) anyway. You do have a lot of variety tho, from sparkling clean with chorus to rip-your-face-off distortion. All in all, it's damn good for it's pricerange. Of course it won't be as good as a very expensive tube amp, but it costs under 200e.

I play mostly metal, and it works great for that. It gives you an awful lot of variety. I've only been playing for half a year tho, and I haven't really heard any heavy distortion tube amps, but you won't get a good tube amp for 200e. So it's definitely worth it. The USB-port is amazing. I play a lot near the computer, so I can just plug it in, and you can even hear music you play in Winamp trough the output (along with your guitar), so it's very easy to play along with your favourite songs. The G2\.1U also has an expression pedal, which can be used for a lot of different things - volume pedal, 2 different wah's, effect volumes or even the amount of gain. It also turns effects off when you press the pedal fully down. The built-in drum Machine isn't that great, it does have some basic drum patterns for training, and that's what it's for. You can also use it for a metronome, which is very useful for training. It it was stolen, I'd either buy it again or get a higher end Zoom product from the same family.

I'd say you can depend on it. I would gig without a backup, although one wouldn't hurt. It's made of metal (it looks like plastic but is indeed metal) and is very sturdy. I don't really know about the battery life because I use the power adapter, but I guess you should keep spare batteries with it. I get the impression it uses batteries pretty fast, although I can't really say for sure.

To be honest, it can be a bit tricky to get a great tone out of it. But with some testing and editing, you can get good tones out of it. Editing patches is rather easy after you get the hang of it, but keep the manual handy because at first it can be hard to use. The manual is pretty good, and there's really nothing wrong with it. It's very easy to use with a computer tho (with a USB cable) because you just plug it in and it'll work. You can only Switch pathes up and down with the foot buttons, so you have to save your patches so the next patch you need is always one step up/down (or 2 steps, but preferably 1). That's pretty easy to do tho.

Coldspiders13
    I do own this thing and to be honest, i would never think of using it in a gig situation. The effects are okay, and the distortions are pretty cool, but strangely enough, i dont like the sound it has when its run through my amp... i do however, recommend this processor if you want to do some home recording work. It's got the drum machine, its got just about anything you would need to lay down a few tracks for demos and what not.
    Coldspiders13
    justforkix wrote: I dont understand how I use it with my PC. cant get any sound!
    oh yeah. you have to use the line out jack as a monitor.. so it goes, speakers to output on the pedal, pedal to computer. if you did it right, you should be getting your computer's sound as well as whatever you have plugged into the input of the pedal....
    letterkills
    hi..i'm plannin to get a multifx...i'm lookin at the g series..but i think i can only afford this.. btw, how's the distortion in this pedal? can i get sounds like Atreyu,My Chem Romance,G&R..etc?
    daryle_goh
    how would this pedal fare as an audio interface? would it record on a computer nicely?
    AndyReid
    Thinking about getting one of these, but is it worth the extra money over the G2?