G2.1U review by Zoom

Zoom: G2.1U

Purchased from: Sam ash

I'm using it with a Peavey TKO 65 Bass amp and a Roland Cube 30X. It has a noise gate, and a noise suppressor which has come in handy when playing really loud. Most of the effects sound great, as long as they aren't too complicated. (The pitch shifter and the wah pedal dont sound awesome but they're to the point.) Combined with the parametric EQ on my TKO, I can get a very Dimebag esque tone and with my Strat I can get a manageable SRV knockoff tone. I'd have to say my favorite feature of this unit is the extra EQ section where you can adjust Extremely low frequencies, Extremely high frequencies and adjust harmonics. When used in moderation, these elements can emulate a tube-like tone.

I play country, rock, etc, been playing for 2 years roughly at the time I'm writing this review. I own an Ibanez Jetking2, Fender Stratocaster, and a Squier affinity stratocaster loaded with a Bill Lawrence. I got it as a gift from my father and before I got it he asked "What do you think of this?" and I said I'd perfer individual pedals. I still perfer individual pedals, but getting this great of guitar tone on a tight budget is awesome. I might not replace it if it got stolen or something since 50 of the dollars goes to the cheap and annoying Cubase Le software. I love how relatively simple it is, however simple has it's limitations and you can't affect which order the effects go in, which I hate. My favorite feature is the Extra eq as stated before. Another neat thing is the 3 different delay modules (Since the reverb module can act as a type of delay). I didn't compare it to other multi effects but I'd perfer this to the Line 6 and Boss multi effects in the 200 dollar price range.

So far, it has been reliable. (knock on wood) it has endured about 2 years of home use. I'd probably use it in a gig without backup. But maybe after awhile I'd upgrade to something bigger. I mean it's not like I can actually go into the unit mid-show and use a soldering iron on it.

It's not easy to get a great sound out of it at fist, but after getting used to editing patches it gets easier. One of the main things you have to have is the manual, but that should be a given anyway... All in all, it's fairly straight forward and you can get a monster tone for not-a-lot of cash.

dark templar
    I find playing the Zoom direct to a high definition system rather better than playing it thru an amp, in my case. I still play it thru my amp but I have dedicated banks c & D for playing direct thru speaker systems. It somehow brings the real Zoom sounds uncolored not like playing thru an amp. Say for example my Fender patch, though great sounding but when I play it thru my Marshall, then it sounds a little "off" the Fender feel. The G2.1u gives you a lot of flexibility in getting whatever sound you can think of, and not just for amps but for direct recording. Try playing thru quality headphones and it will be a blast!