G2.1U review by Zoom

Zoom: G2.1U

Price paid: A$ 180

Purchased from: Ebay

I usually run the G2\.1U through a Peavey Bandit 112, and either and '96 Deluxe Annv Tele, or an Epiphone Les Paul 100. The G2\.1U can get a bit noisy with a distortion patch, but for the most part, it is fairly quiet. Some of the effects can a bit weak, particularly the pedal controlled wah's. The auto wah's are fine, but the pedal controlled wah's just lack definition, and have a horrible sweep. I don't try to dial in a replica of my favourite artists tone, I try to find a similar tone, and it's done fine, from a tone akin to Children Of Bodom through to a Clapton-esque tone. As I said the wah's are poor, tolerable, but still poor nonetheless. All the other effects sound fine.

I play a bit of everything and this unit can do anything in a pinch, it just won't excel in one area, but as it's my first effects unit, and it's a multiFX, I wasn't expecting Satch-like tone. I've played for about 3 years, only about 1 being real serious about guitar, and I've got my Fender Tele, an Epi LP, a Peavey amp, and that's it. I didn't really ask anything I just read a lot of reviews, and compared it to a few other MultiFX. If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably start hunting down individual stompboxes, mainly because they would give me a better tone. I love the fact I can use it for almost any genre I care to throw at it, but I despise the wah on it, as I've said numerous times. I compared it to a Line 6 Floor POD, and since I couldn't test either this won out just due to the reviews I was reading. I wish it had a wider sweep in the wah, primarily, and a better EQ would be nice, but overall, I'm pleased with this, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to get into playing with effects.

This thing is solid as a rock, it's made of rubber and metal, and can take a beating as I'm not the most gentle user, and I tend to stomp it fairly hard, and it's helf up fine. I'd use it at a gig without a back up, it would easily hold up to almost anything you throw at it

Its fairly easy to get a good sound of this unit, just expreiment with the knobs, refer to the manual and you can dial in your sound. Editing patches is also easy, just the same as creating them really, twist some knobs, press a button, and there you go. The manual is fine, concise and to the point about what you need to, what does what, and even offers some suggestions on how to get a good sound.