G2.1U review by Zoom

Zoom: G2.1U

Price paid: £ 139.99

Purchased from: Soundhouse

Ibanez RG370DX (stock) > Zoom G2.1u > Marshall MG30DFX As said above I think the sound that I have currently is good to my ears (Peavey 50 distortion and JC clean), however these are my only presets and most other amp presets I found very poor and 'digital' sounding. I find it hard to get specific sounds from my favoured guitarists which is hard to achieve anyhow, but feels almost impossible to do with this budget pedal. Having little experience with effects prior to this, I have nothing to compare them to, however, for a budget pedal the variety is fantastic and the parameters are also brilliant, giving you complete control over the effect, for example a dedicated tap tempo button and level and prescence controls.

Overall, it has a great selecion of options for a budget pedal and is probably one of the ideal pedals for a first time user, for ease of use. However, for the gigging musician, or musician who has owned a multi-effects pedal before this, I think there are better things for more money out there. If it was stolen, I would definately upgrade to a higher-end Line 6 POD as the options are far greater. A quick note: The extra additional feature of free Cubase LE4 editing software is a brilliant offer. I do not regret buying it just for this, however I cannot get a good preset to use from the G2\.1U with direct-in recording which I am very disappointed about, and the cable is NOT included, which was a slight pain. Summary: A great price, a decent pedal with a ton of rack effects and editing options, and I am pleased I bought it to experiment with as a first time multi-effects pedal user.

I have owned the pedal for 8 months. I have had no prior issues or concerns with the pedal's reliability or durability. All buttons still work and I would be able to depend on it withpout a back up in a gig situation. I am giving it a 9 because something could always go wrong or break.

Being my first pedal, I had no experience with heavily editing sounds from any kind of device like this. After plugging it in for the first time, I was finding it very hard to get a good metal/rock tone out of it. I had no trouble finding a clean that I liked, however. The clean presets of amps on the pedal, for example the Roland JC, Vox AC-30, and 1965 Fender Twin Reverb are pretty decent overall, however I struggled and am still struggling to this day after owning for 8 months to get more than one distortion that I like. Personally, I find the only useable distortion to be the Peavey 50 preset, which I use to go direct through my amp, which I will admit is a hunk of junk (Marshall MG30), possibly hindering the sound. It can take a lot of editing to get a sound that you personally like, however ease of use of editing patches are brilliant. It has a clear centre screen displaying everything that happens whilst editing, and the knobs on it are easily used and clearly show what you are editing. The manual is brilliant to use - it explains all options in details and what the parameters of the presets are, allowing precise editing. Overall, it is very hard to get a good sound from it, but editing and explanation of editing are brilliant.

demonized2k7
    hey, please help me, how do you change the patch call method for the G2.1u??? the 707II has instructions for it but i dont know if the G2.1u has it.. its like when you want to go from patch A1 to patch F3 but dont want to pass all the patches in between coz the sound will change... in 707II you can browse patches without changing the sound then select the patch you need.. how can i do that with the G2.1u??? please help...
    minchew
    I dont think you can do that with the G2. You pretty much have to set your patches up close together, like i have mine as my clean sound,rhytm tone, and a couple lead sounds. it takes a little while but once you get it set up its a very nice pedal.
    FarazRahman
    I set it up so that each bank A-D is for different styles of playing. Then within each style I have the presets set close. So if I'm doing major switching, I press the "effect type" button to go to the next bank. It's really convenient, though you still have to hop around a little.
    Gitaarg
    I'm thinking of buying it. I cannot decide should i buy this or Line 6 floor pod. I have tried them both, and they both sound really nice in my opinion. So does anyone have any opinions which one should i buy?
    Chozodragon
    A6StringWorld wrote: rain v2 wrote: I loved it until it broke. Me and my friend had the same problem with the left switcher. they both broke. yeah same i used to use it for shows but then both main switches broke. .
    Mine is not broken yet but is less and less solid ...