G2.1U review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Zoom: G2.1U

Purchased from: Local music shop

Let's start off by saying that this pedal is far from the excellent all-in-one pedal wonder everyone's raving about. Looks (or sounds) like Zoom went for quantity rather than quality this time. Two main effects I wanted this pedal for are distortion and wah; there is plenty of distortion effects, but none of them sound good to my ear - they sound really tinny and digital, even the built-in gain on my amp (a humble Marshall MG10) sounds better. As for wah, that's where the biggest dissapointment is - you can't actually turn it off when you select it. It sound good when you press the pedal down, but even if you lift your foot off it completely (so that it's at starting position), the Wah effect is set to 50%, which completely distorts the sound of the guitar. This cannot be changed as far as I'm aware.

I've only had this pedal for a day and I'm returning it to the shop. It's nothing but great dissapointment, and for the price, it would be just easier for me to buy a crybaby Wah and a Boss distortion pedal. It would only cost about 20-30 quid more but quality would be 100x better. Would not recommend.

The pedal itself looks pretty sturdy, it doesn't look like it would break under gig conditions, however I can't be sure as I've only had it for a day, and for that reason I can't comment on it's reliability. I think it would be safe to use it in a live situation though.

This pedal is quite hard to get used to - the tiny display doesn't make much sense, and there are loads of options to choose from. You'd be lost without the instruction booklet, which thankfully explains everything well, but even then you constantly need to look back at it because of the number of effects on this pedal. Once you get the hang of it, you can kind of work things out.

Prefab Funk
    The new Zoom G2.1Nu has patches programmed by Steve Vai & a new LCD interface.Has anyone tried it & how does it compare to the G2.1U in terms of tone quality & clarity? Have they improved it or is it the same(digital) tone quality as before ?