G2.1U review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Zoom: G2.1U

Purchased from: Used

I use a Fender Squier Stratocaster (3 bad quality single coils) and a Marshall Valvestate VS15R amp with this pedal and it sounds great. You can't complain about having some noise problems with this pedal because it contains the ZNR Module (Zoom Noise Reduction) which is able to eliminate any noise you want to get rid off. I honestly never thought that I'll ever get a good distortion sound from a guitar like mine without any humming or buzzing. There's even a "Noise Gate" that cuts off the sound in playing pauses without effecting the overall tone. All the effects generally sound great, especially the distortion and chorus but the Wah-Wah will start to sound bad to you after you hear it from other pedals. It takes some time to get the sounds you want but you'll get any one you like. You can find patches everywhere on The Internet (guitar forums, effects websites etc. E.g.: guitarpatches.haax.se) So far I've managed to get the tones of: Dimebag Darrell (Pantera), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Angus Young (AC/DC), Chuck Schuldiner (Death)...

I play a lot of genres (rock, hard rock, death metal, country, blues) and this pedal is great for me, it's really polyvalent and you can get any sound you want with it. I have been playing for 3-4 years now and this is the best piece of equipment I've had so far (I already mentioned that I have a Fender Squier Strat and a Marshall VS15R) I wish I had asked more questions before buying it about the interface design which didn't live up to my expectations. If it were stolen/lost I wouldn't buy it again but I would buy the G2.1Nu, at least that one has an LCD screen with much better display. I love almost everything about this pedal, and I'm pretty fond of the rhythm function (integrated drum Machine) and the auto-chromatic tuner. I wouldn't say "I hate" the interface design and the screen but I don't like them. I didn't really compare it to other products before buying it and thank god it was a lucky shot, I could've stumbled upon something much worse and I'd be full of remorse and regrets right about now. The main thing that attracted me to this pedal was the price along with some demonstration videos on Youtube, I should've compared it to other pedals and read more about it but I don't regret buying it. But I just wish it had more preset drum patterns and a better interface.

From the outside you can see that this pedal is made out of steel and solid rubber but that doesn't mean that everything is firm and solid on the inside. The guy who sold me the pedal told me that one of the buttons stopped working and he had to fix it. I faced the same problem; the "effect type +" button broke in the inside and I had to open the pedal and weld the plastic part of it. But aside from that everything is working well, so far so good! I would use a new Zoom G2.1U in a gig without any backup, but not a used one that is at least a few months old.

The day I brought this baby home with me I wasn't able to understand a thing about it. I could only Switch from one patch to another but then I took a look at the manual and things got so clear to me. I've had it now for four days and I'm starting to get used to every knob/button/effect/etc. Editing and storing patches is very easy but they could've created a better interface design (and they did that with the G2.1Nu) instead of just displaying the initials of every thing, because that can be a little bit confusing. I mean how are we supposed to know that "Mt" stands for "Metal Zone"? To understand every initials' meaning you have to look it up in the manual which is very clear and contains every single information you need to know/understand about this pedal. And even if you loose the book, you can easily download it in a PDF format from the official website. I'm not sure that you can update the firmware and I believe that you won't need to do it anyway.

Chato469
    i have this pedal in my band class. How do i get a metalcore tone like As I lay dying or All That Remains?