G2.1U review by Zoom

Zoom: G2.1U

Purchased from: Ebay

As I said before, I am running this pedal through my computer via USB so my speakers are in the output while my guitar through the input of the pedal. I have had this pedal for a long time and was constantly playing about with it to find the right tones for mt style of playing. There are many amp sounds you can get out of this but at the moment, the only decent one is the Zoom Extreme Distortion Patch. There are many different patches you can use and combine to create various tones and I can say it did take me a while to find my tone, but I am still wanting more! People always say that multi-effects pedals/boards are not a good idea and you are pedal with just getting a tube amp (which is half true). I believe this people are just too lazy to explore pedals. It's all about TWEAKING! You can end up finding a range of different effects, combining them together and BOOM. Sweet tone! Also, for people always complaining about feedback! There are 3 different gates on the pedal along with a compressor, which I have combined together well for tight stops and long sustain, very useful for gigs as well!

I play a various amount of styles in music, mainly in the progressive metal area so I have adjusted my tones to fit where I like it. It works very well for the style I am wanting but I feel there is something missing. If the pedal were stolen, or I somehow lost it, I wouldn't mind getting it again, but, I am looking in to saving up for another pedal in my mind so I hope I get a hold of it soon! The only problem I have with the pedal is the channel changes. I'm sure you can get a control switch for it but I don't feel the need in wasting money on it since I am only using 3 different channels, although it would be very useful! The pedal is a very good pedal to start of beginner guitarists to give them decent tones to start off with.

YouTube preview picture

The pedal isn't your cheap Behringer crap! Don't worry! The pedal is built well so you don't end up throwing it and breaking it, or stepping on the foot switches and breaking them. The pedal is well enough built to withstand gigs and you wouldn't need to use a backup! If you end up breaking it, then I have no idea how you managed that. The pedal is very dependable and won't fail you, although I would make sure that if you are using the pedal at a gig, to put in fresh batteries cause it will drain them quick!

The Zoom G2.1U is a multi-effects pedal for guitar and probably could use it for bass as well. It has 96kHz sampling, a ZFX-3 processor and has a range of amp modes and effects all from simple chorus and delays to complicated modulation and other effects. It can be powered by 4 AA batteries or a 9v adapter. The pedal is really easy to use. Has two foot switches to change patches left and right, knobs for changing parameters for the tone/effect you want to use, a bank button for storing the patch you have created and a tap button for tapping to adjust your delay by ear. I am currently using it with my Ibanez S570B and its running through my Crate GLX1200H. I also use it to act as my sound card for my PC via USB 2.0 so my output speakers are my laptop speakers as well as straight line input recordings are simple and at low latency. It's a very simple pedal to use and if you can't afford an amazing tube amp, separate effects pedals and recording equipment, I would recommend this pedal for the price.

thomshafer
    some cool clean sounds, but the distortion is dreadful, absolutely dreadful!!
    beau05
    It depends on what patch you use, and how well you EQ your amp. I use the Gus G patch "Gshock", treble at 2, mids at 7, and lows at 5, and I get a nice late 80's/early 90's death/thrash tone. I guess it depends on the person, but it works for me
    6-String_Madman
    I used to have a G1X before then I upgraded to this. This is a 'leap' forward because the tones of my patches are clearer than my previous one. One thing that I miss in my G1x though is the cabinet simulator that makes my tone more punchy but it's OK.
    Evergrey
    Its good but G2.1Nu is much better. There is huge improvement leap from G2.1 to G2.1Nu