G2.1U Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 12/04/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: G2.1U
The Zoom G2.1U features 40 preset effects patches, 40 programmable memory patches, 9 effect modules with 54 effect types, built-in drum machine, tuner, and expression pedal, USB interface and much more. Includes Steinberg Cubase LE and an AC adapter!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 19,936
reviews (36) pictures (2) 112 comments vote for this gear:
G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2005

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Ease of Use: Well I have it for one day but I played with it a bit and sort of got the hang of this. It's got an amazing interface in my opinion, its compact and is very well designed. The user interface looks very good and pretty easy to understand though I didn't use it for more than the drum Machine. // 10

Sound: The sound on the new Zoom pedal is absolutely amazing. For the price I paid I never thought it would produce such a great sound. I play this pedal with my Gibson SG plugged into a Laney Hardcore Max 30 Watts amp. Its got 54 different effect types, 9 modules which sound very good. If I need the distortion I got the MT-2 which is amazing and a few more that supply what I need. The wah wah effects are very cool, the harmoniser is amazing and every other effect is amazing. Noise reduction gives my guitar a very clean sound which I love. The Drum Machine has got a quite a few beats which are good (only don't have reverb though doesn't bother me too much). This pedal has an expression pedal unlike the G2 pedal which lets me access more approaches to music. I think the sound and these features are just brilliant. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This Zoom is made out of steel with rubber sides. Since its my first day with it I don't need 2 call people. I don't do lots of live shows yet but I'm sure it would be perfect for one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock music like jimi hendrix, led zeppelin, stevie ray vaughn, radiohead and theres a massive list which I won't write and this pedal just fits them all. I've been playing for about 6 years overall but electric guitar for about two since I didn't like classical music too much. I love this pedal, it is amazing for the price that was payed for it. If it were stolen, first thing the thief doesnt know who hes messing with, secondly ill ever get it back from the thief or ill just buy a new one. G2\.1U is an amazing pedal, go buy one. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: strat715, on august 29, 2007

Purchased from: Daddys Music Dartmouth

Ease of Use: Having this one pedal is like having over 50 different effects pedals to choose from, not to mention you can make your own sound with ease. The manual clearly states how to set it up and if you would like, connect it to your computer to record. It comes with Steinberg cubase LE recording software, which is an excellent program to record with. The G2\.1U also has a built in drum Machine to help you stay on tempo always. It comes with an easy to use tuner as well. // 9

Sound: I currently use this with a Peavey Bandit 112, and it makes an excellent combination. Depending on how much gain the setting has, it can be fairly noisy. If you simply put the amplifier on the clean setting and use that to change the volume, it will sound amazing. There are many distortion effects to choose from, all of them make a different sound type. Some of them have a smoother, brighter sound, but some have a sharp, dark, metal sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have been using this for about 2 years without much problem, I always have the DC adapter plugged in because it runs out of battery life quicky. If you were to play at a gig with this, I strongly recommend that you use the DC adapter that comes with it or bring extra batteries. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of genres, ranging from classic acoustic to metal, and I feel that it always has what I want on it. I have been playing for 2.5 years and I think that every guitarist should have this pedal, and if I were to lose it I would make sure that it gets replaced, because life without this just isn't right. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: Conway1991, on february 11, 2006

Purchased from: Dawsons

Ease of Use: You need no effort at all for this effects pedal, just plug and play and anything will sound good. Its very easy to change effects and expression pedal is easy to use. Editing patches is great, easy to edit with 4 knobs. Choice of COMP, WAH/EFX, ZNR, DRIVE, EG, MOD/SFX, DELAY, REVERB and CONTROL and is easy to pedal assign. // 9

Sound: I have and Ibanez GSA 60 and a Marshall MG15 amp and its sounds great. I've played this on many different amps before and with 54 different effect types and a built in drum Machine you can't go wrong. One of my favourite effects is the Wah wah effect which sounds very good. To get the best quality out of it set you amp to a clean sound and the OD button off. Some patches are noisy compared to others, for example an acoustic effect will be moderately loud but if you change to a Overdrive effect that effect would be very loud. The most noisy ones are Distortion effects and a Tapping effect, you may like your guitar loud but if you don't, trying to turn the volume down on you're guitar will NOT help, you will have to go to your amp to change the volume with these certain effects. The effects sound great but it all really depends on what kind of music you're playing e.g. I play Oasis and I wouldnt play Oasis songs with an Overdrive effect, I would use an acoustic one. But if you chose the right effect for the right song then you will have no problems. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it all the time, has never failed me once and I don't think I would need to take a backup to a gig. The only disadvantage is that if you are running it on batteries, you won't get much playing time out of it. So I would advise you to get a DC Mains adapter if one doesn't come with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly Oasis and the acoustic effects are brilliant for any kind of music like this. Once again I wish I could have asked for a Mains adapter as I had to buy one seperatley. If this was stolen I would definitely buy this effects pedal again. My favourite features are the expression pedal and the drum Machine to give your guitar playing that extra kick which other effects units cannot. The only thing I wish it had was more variety of editing patches but overall a truly brilliant guitaring companion. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2007

Purchased from: Music Music

Ease of Use: This is by far the best effects pedal I've used (of course this is only my second pedal ^_^). The user interface is designed exactly like a stomp box. Stomp on, stomp off but in this case they change patches. This pedal is perfect for editing patches. You can adjust the furthest left knob to a effects module and the other 3 are for editing the patch analog style. The analogs give you almost precise control. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are click style instead of like the knobs on a amp. But you still get precise control. This effects pedal has a user manual that is basically the bible for it when you first use it. It tells you how to operate everything and the whole second half of the book tells you about the effects modules, what's in them, and what the knobs can be used to adjust. This pedal is very easy to use as all the zooms are. // 10

Sound: I use a Ibanez GRX20 through this and out to my Peavey Envoy 110. It has great sound. The sound on this is great. I use the tube clean and then use it through my transtube amp and you get a even more tube like sound. The clean channels sound very much like the originals. You get 3 cleans. Fender Twin Reverb, Class A Vox AC30 tube amp, and you get Roland Jazz chorus. These are all great cleans. Next are the crunchs. You get a Marshall crunch, Mesa Boogie Crunch and a Fender Tweed '53. I use these alot and I personally think they sound better than the distortions since you can get a better palm muted sound out of them. Next are the distortions. You get the Marshall JCM-2000 stack. It has very fat bass. It's almost a fuzz. then there is the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier on Vintage mode. This is awesome but still sounds like a fuzz. My personal favorite is the Peavey 5150 high gain amp. It's the amp that Van Halen used and is very good distortion for hard rock. After those is the one and only Overdrive. The Boss OD-1 Overdrive pedal. This is great Overdrive if you're looking for a very clean Overdrive. It's not my favorite but it's still great for solos. Now another Marshall effect. The Guv'nor pedal. This has pretty decent sound. It's great for regular rock. I don't use it very much though. Next are the famous fuzzes. You get the dallas arbiter Fuzz Face, the Hot box and The Zoom Digital Fuzz. The Fuzz Face is a lighter fuzz than the other two and it's great for older music like jimi hendricks. The hot box has the fattest bass of them all and has awesome sound. The Zoom digital fuzz has a broken effect to it. To me it sounds like true fuzz. Last but not least the Metal Distortions. You get The Boss MT-2 Metal Pedal. This is great metal distortion. It only sounds good with Drop D Tuning though. Last you get another Zoom Distortion. The extreme distortion. Just like it's name it extreme. no matter how much gain you give it, it still is very high gain. Same goes for the input signal. Great for metal. And there is acoustic simulator. I don't like it and don't really use it that much. All the other effects are really good. The chorus is good. The Flanger has lots of possibilities. And this pedal is dedicated to delay. In almost every module there is a delay option you can choose. You can have up to 3 different delays. The only effect I don't like is the ring modulator. Even though you have control how it sounds, it still sounds bad. As everyone else says the wah effects are really nice. The only thing I don't like about the sound is that sometimes the pedal overloads itself and you cracking noise out of it but that can easily be fixed by turning the gain and volume down. This is a great pedal. The sounds are all awesome. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal 24/7. It is made out of metal and has rubber sides and has pads on the bottom to keep it from moving. I don't do gigs quite yet but I'm sure I wouldn't need a back-up. I would only use another pedal because that one has some sounds this one doesn't. This pedal is pretty solid. Built just like a stomp box. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great pedal for people Who want more control over the sounds than the pedals that only let you adjust with their next highest setting. I do not recommend this pedal for the Super Control Freaks. If you want complete control go out and buy the separate pedals so you can control the effect the way you want them. All I can say is that this is a great pedal and you can get just about any sound out of it within it's parameters. Have fun using yours if you decide to get one. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2007

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Ease of Use: To be honest, it can be a bit tricky to get a great tone out of it. But with some testing and editing, you can get good tones out of it. Editing patches is rather easy after you get the hang of it, but keep the manual handy because at first it can be hard to use. The manual is pretty good, and there's really nothing wrong with it. It's very easy to use with a computer tho (with a USB cable) because you just plug it in and it'll work. You can only Switch pathes up and down with the foot buttons, so you have to save your patches so the next patch you need is always one step up/down (or 2 steps, but preferably 1). That's pretty easy to do tho. // 9

Sound: I use the pedal with a Squier Strat with a Cool Rails humbucker pickup, and it sounds pretty good. I usually use it with headphones or speakers (it sounds a lot better trough PA tho) because it doesn't really work very well with my MicroCube (modelling) amp. I think you could make patches to make it work well on a normal amp, but I don't have one so I couldn't try. It's good enough with the cabinet modelling on tho. It's not noisy unless you maximise the volume. There's a problem with the master volume control, it always resets to 80 when you turn the pedal off, don't know why. The effects are all very good. The pitch modulator has a bug and is apparently a few percents flat when you model it one octave higher, but it's hardly noticeable. All in all, I love the effects in it. But then again, it is a multieffect pedal. I haven't really tried to get any other artists' tones, but I think I can get a pretty good Dream Theater tone, and with some trying probably a lot of others too. I don't like some of the amp models too much, but I only use clean and heavy distortian (ED, extreme distortion) anyway. You do have a lot of variety tho, from sparkling clean with chorus to rip-your-face-off distortion. All in all, it's damn good for it's pricerange. Of course it won't be as good as a very expensive tube amp, but it costs under 200e. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd say you can depend on it. I would gig without a backup, although one wouldn't hurt. It's made of metal (it looks like plastic but is indeed metal) and is very sturdy. I don't really know about the battery life because I use the power adapter, but I guess you should keep spare batteries with it. I get the impression it uses batteries pretty fast, although I can't really say for sure. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, and it works great for that. It gives you an awful lot of variety. I've only been playing for half a year tho, and I haven't really heard any heavy distortion tube amps, but you won't get a good tube amp for 200e. So it's definitely worth it. The USB-port is amazing. I play a lot near the computer, so I can just plug it in, and you can even hear music you play in Winamp trough the output (along with your guitar), so it's very easy to play along with your favourite songs. The G2\.1U also has an expression pedal, which can be used for a lot of different things - volume pedal, 2 different wah's, effect volumes or even the amount of gain. It also turns effects off when you press the pedal fully down. The built-in drum Machine isn't that great, it does have some basic drum patterns for training, and that's what it's for. You can also use it for a metronome, which is very useful for training. It it was stolen, I'd either buy it again or get a higher end Zoom product from the same family. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: zakarai, on december 04, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: The Zoom G2.1U is a multi-effects pedal for guitar and probably could use it for bass as well. It has 96kHz sampling, a ZFX-3 processor and has a range of amp modes and effects all from simple chorus and delays to complicated modulation and other effects. It can be powered by 4 AA batteries or a 9v adapter. The pedal is really easy to use. Has two foot switches to change patches left and right, knobs for changing parameters for the tone/effect you want to use, a bank button for storing the patch you have created and a tap button for tapping to adjust your delay by ear. I am currently using it with my Ibanez S570B and its running through my Crate GLX1200H. I also use it to act as my sound card for my PC via USB 2.0 so my output speakers are my laptop speakers as well as straight line input recordings are simple and at low latency. It's a very simple pedal to use and if you can't afford an amazing tube amp, separate effects pedals and recording equipment, I would recommend this pedal for the price. // 9

Sound: As I said before, I am running this pedal through my computer via USB so my speakers are in the output while my guitar through the input of the pedal. I have had this pedal for a long time and was constantly playing about with it to find the right tones for mt style of playing. There are many amp sounds you can get out of this but at the moment, the only decent one is the Zoom Extreme Distortion Patch. There are many different patches you can use and combine to create various tones and I can say it did take me a while to find my tone, but I am still wanting more! People always say that multi-effects pedals/boards are not a good idea and you are pedal with just getting a tube amp (which is half true). I believe this people are just too lazy to explore pedals. It's all about TWEAKING! You can end up finding a range of different effects, combining them together and BOOM. Sweet tone! Also, for people always complaining about feedback! There are 3 different gates on the pedal along with a compressor, which I have combined together well for tight stops and long sustain, very useful for gigs as well! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal isn't your cheap Behringer crap! Don't worry! The pedal is built well so you don't end up throwing it and breaking it, or stepping on the foot switches and breaking them. The pedal is well enough built to withstand gigs and you wouldn't need to use a backup! If you end up breaking it, then I have no idea how you managed that. The pedal is very dependable and won't fail you, although I would make sure that if you are using the pedal at a gig, to put in fresh batteries cause it will drain them quick! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a various amount of styles in music, mainly in the progressive metal area so I have adjusted my tones to fit where I like it. It works very well for the style I am wanting but I feel there is something missing. If the pedal were stolen, or I somehow lost it, I wouldn't mind getting it again, but, I am looking in to saving up for another pedal in my mind so I hope I get a hold of it soon! The only problem I have with the pedal is the channel changes. I'm sure you can get a control switch for it but I don't feel the need in wasting money on it since I am only using 3 different channels, although it would be very useful! The pedal is a very good pedal to start of beginner guitarists to give them decent tones to start off with.

// 8

G2.1U Reviewed by: polarbowler, on november 14, 2005

Purchased from: westgate music

Ease of Use: It is amazing it is so easy to use and I have only played for a couple years and I can work it with ease. Editing patches is simple whitch is nice. The manual expains eveything clearly. My unit has not been upgraded. // 10

Sound: I am using it with a Epiphone Les Paul and a Roland amp. It is noisy on most Overdrive settings whitch is fine. The effects are always perfect. I can get the sound of The Beatles and Rolling Stones. Distortion is great and chorus is even better pretty much every effect is great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it to last through anything because it is so sturdy. I would use on a gig because with its rubber sides and stell knobs it is unbreakable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and country and it is a perfect match. I have been playing for about 4 years and I also own a crybaby. There is nothing I would have asked before I brought the product. If it got stolen I would replace it fast. What I love is that is has so many differnt effects that it took me a week to figure them all out. I don't hate anything about it. My favorite feature is the reverb. I dont compare it to any other product. I wish it had 2 inputs and 2 outputs so 2 people could use it at the same time. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: sgmarshall3, on april 10, 2006

Purchased from: AMS

Ease of Use: Well, the manual is great. It's still hard to get the sounds you want, tho. // 7

Sound: I play a Gibson SG, G2.1, usb into the computer. It sounds great this way. You can get great tone if you take the time to mess with it. I don't care much for the tone into headphones, but I have $20 headphones so I'm sure that's the problem. I only use the tuner, eq, ZNR, and occasionally some delay into my amp(all are great). I bet you could get great sounds that way, too, if you try. I get the exact sound I want with my rig (MXR ZW44 into JCM800 2205 50 watt), so I only bought this for direct recording. I like this thing enough that I'll probably upgrade to a G7. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The most solid pedal I've ever seen. // 10

Overall Impression: For the money, this just can't be beat. I wish this thing had come out 20 years ago when I was first startingout. I would be much better now! I don't play in a band, so the drum Machine and direct recording alone have made me much better. The noise reduction is great, the acoustic sim is great, and those 2 things alone would be $100 apiece if you bought Boss pedals. You're not going to get 100% exact copies of famous tones, but this thing is great for what it does at a price most people can afford. I'm very impressed! // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to get the hang of if you're used to this kind of thing. I came to it inexperienced with multieffects so it took a little getting used to. You will most definitely want to look at the manual and keep it handy with you to get the most out of this thing. Getting a good sound out of it is possible but not without editing patches, the presets don't do it justice. The pedal is also very useful. // 8

Sound: I'm using this with a Schecter Omen 6 extreme guitar either plugged into a practise amp or straight into the PA when I play at my church with the Cabinet Simulator switched on (which is quite handy). There is some noise with the compresser when it is set above 5 when my guitar is set to some pickup modes which can be annoying. Obviously some sounds are better than others, but most sound reasonabily faithful to what they're modeled after but to be honest you pay for what you get. They obviously aren't as good as the real thing but then the pedal is a lot cheaper and lighter than the real thing which is good! So I think it fulfills it's purpose as far as sound goes fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is where it falls down for me. It decided to break just before we started a band practise, which putting it mildly was inconvenient. As far as design goes it's made of reasonabily tough looking metal and rubber, but it aint no Boss! That said, I got it second hand off ebay from the states, so I can't complain if it's more likely to break than a new one! // 5

Overall Impression: I mainly play in my church band and for that this is perfect because it's light (and relatively cheap). I was entirely happy with it before it broke and it filled my purposes completely. I would not buy another one if it'll break like this one has again! I'd rather spend a bit more money to get something I can throw around a bit. // 7

G2.1U Reviewed by: Demons&Wizards, on september 01, 2007

Purchased from: Dawsons

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, once you understand what the display is trying to tell you. I think Zoom could have put in a larger display, in order to display the actual names of stomp boxes instead of the initials they use, e.g Pu for Peavy, or nt for Boss Metal zone. But luckly the manual explains what all these initials mean, yet I feel with the bigger screen you could use the pedal right out of the box, without ever looking at the manual. Editing patches is simple, turn the dial to select your stomp box and it's parameters, then turn again for your noise gate, again for any mods/fx/delay and then save. There is a wide variety of amps and drives, taking care of all varieties of music, from clean to dirty, and there's even an acoustic simulator. The manual is great really clear, explains all of the controls and parameters that can be changed, so you can mess around and find your perfect tone. I'm not really sure about the firmware, I have no idea if it can be upgraded or not. It is alos really easy to record with, all the software you need comes with the pedal, and after installing a fell drivers, you can record through the pedal onto your computer through Cubase LE (also included). // 8

Sound: Right now I'm using an Aria XL series guitar with standard run of the mill bridge and neck humbuckers, and a Kustom 10W amp. However I run the pedal through the CD input jack to avoid the amp EQ, and use the extra EQ function on the pedal. This way I have greater control over the sound I get. Usually I play metal, and am able to get a good dirty tone with either the Mesa or Peavy settings, although if needed I can get a nice clean tone with the Roland Jazz settings. I am also a fan of the acoustic sim this pedal has. The built in drum Machine is very useful, there are many styles from pop, funk, rock, metal, 4/4 time, 3/4 time, with about 2 loops for each style, around 30 altogether. These can be used when you want to jam on your own, or when you need to practice but haven't got a metronome. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems well built, although the dials are made of plastic, but it would be very hard to break these unless you jumped on it at a funny angle. The expression pedal however creaks, which is very irritating, especially when trying to record, I don't know if this is just my pedal, but I should be able to sort this with some WD40. I use this pedal nearly everyday and at band practice, and it has not let me down yet, it has a good noise gate, and I am able to plug it directly into the mixer. I probably would use it at a gig, however I have no giging experience, and cannot say for sure, but I think it would survive a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very versitile pedal, and can be used to get a number of clean and dirty sounds, and I would highly recommend it. My favourite feature has to be the ability to record direct to your PC via USB, it has allowed me to start recording/mixing my own songs, and for this reason I will be using this pedal for many years to come. If it were stolen I would probably go for the next model up, for even maybe a Line 6 PODXT, just because there's more online support. However there are websites with patches for the G2.1U (mail me and I'll help you out). Although saying that the PODXT doesn't have an expression pedal, so fingers crossed, my G2\.1U never goes missing. // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: clown624715308, on november 05, 2007

Ease of Use: This is the easiest multi-effects pedal that I've ever used. The editing patches are great I especially like the "1984" patch because I play a lot of Van Halen covers and it's like I'm back in 84 and playing the same sound equipment as eddie Van Halen. The manual was a little confusing at first until I started playin around with the knobs while I was reading the manual. // 8

Sound: curretly I use the G2.1U with an Ibanez prestiege s and a Crate GT1200h/G412SL half stack it gets a little noisy on any of the distortion settings without the EQ turned on but that's what my amp always does. The effects sound great especially when I'm just playin into a set of headphones. All of the effects sound great it's just a little awkward using wah pedal for the chorus, flanger, and phaser settings but other than that it's great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it because of it's rugged and solid construction. If I lived in a perfect world where nothing went wrong at a gig I would depend on it fully without a back up system but I always lug my coffin case pedal board with my 6 pedals mounted even though I've never had a problem with the G2.1U since I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a mix between hardcore (Bloodsimple and Atreyu) to death metal (Naplam Death, Morbid Angel, and Cannibal Corpse) I've been playing for about 6 years on and off until about 2 years ago when I just started playin again and have rarely ever put my guitar down. I also own a Ibanez iceman 400 and an inbanezz RG270DX. I just wish that the G2.1U and a drum machine that had some fast paced double bass sets in it. // 8

G2.1U Reviewed by: NoNameLess, on december 28, 2007

Purchased from: Ivars Musikk

Ease of Use: At the beginning you probably will have trouble dealing with it. But it is not hard! Just try things and read the manual and it will be easy. It's can be tricky to get a good sound out of it. Patches are not a problem editing. But sometimes you will go like "wtf?" And then you see that it was nothing. Manual comes with and is handy sometimes. I use it to find rhythm, that stands on the back of the manual. This pedal does have rhythm in it! And it easy to choose pattern, speed and so on. // 9

Sound: I have a Ibanez RGR-320EX for main guitar and a Fender Frontman 212R for amp. I have use only clean channel on my amp if you use Drive it will probably make noise. And I also have treble, mid and bass fixed on the amp to get extra sound out of the pedal. actually this pedal made me playing less noisy and more smooth if you like to say that. Sometimes the volume will go down or up when you edit patches. All you have to do is turn volume down or up on your amp. But if you have one patch that's low and a patch that's loud right after you may want to turn down or up your amp before changing patch. This might depend on the amp. I play music like CoB (Children Of Bodom) blind guardian, Metallica and I haven't found patch for blind guardian but Metallica has plenty of patches lying on the web. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I depend very much on it. but if you don't have the AC adapter you probably gonna go low on batteries very fast. I haven't played without the ac adapter so I don't now. But probably you will go low on batteries fast. I would use it on a gig, if I could fix patches and such before the gig and if I had the AC adapter. Other wise no. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this pedal. Again I play music like CoB (Children Of Bodom) Blind guardian and Metallica. I haven't tried to make my own patch for Blind Guardian and not all songs have the same sound so it's hard to find a patch that fits all songs for that band. But you don't need it to be exact when your not gonna release a album around the world. I wish the wah wah where less auto and more manual. But that's how it goes. // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: MacKuLiT, on june 16, 2008

Ease of Use: At first it was not that easy for me to make a good sound out of it. But reading the manual helps alot, it shows you how. There are a lot of patches 00-40 A0-B9=live patches C0-D9=recording patches. You can actually edit the patches at your own taste. As you buy the product don't forget to read the manual, it gives you the idea how to operate the gadget. // 10

Sound: I'm using 2 Custom guitars with Seymour Duncan pick-ups and a Roland Cube 30X amplifier. The noise suppressor of the G2\.1U cuts off the noise during guitar breaks or even not playing the guitar, you can't hear any noise! The G2\.1U sounds thick, powerful, meaty, and clear! compared to Zoom 606 or G1. The stock patches of G2.1U offers some patches that makes your guitar sound like, Linkin Park, Green Day, Carlos Santana, EVH, SRV, Brian May and Jeff Beck. But for me I edited some patches and created patches to produce sounds like Tom Morello, Dimebag Darell, Kirk Hammet, and Paul Gilbert. The G2.1U is like a set of effects compressed in one box. It features simulations of, Peavey 5150 Stack amplifier, Marshall JCM2000, Marshall JCM800, Boss OD-1, Boss MT-2, Fender Tweed Deluxe '53, and Fender Twin Reverb '65. You can still ind 54 more effects, digital delay, chorus, digital flanger, and many more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I used it many times on Live performances, and it didn't fail my expectations. I got the sound what I wanna get during gigs, definitely I am using G2.1U in gigs without back-ups. and good thing about it it is easy to bring you don't need those big pedal boards, it's portable! // 10

Overall Impression: I'm playing music that ranges from Steve Vai to Paul Gilbert to RATM to Metallica to Pantera. This effect surely is a good match for me. I've been playing for 3 years, and I have own a Zoom 606 and Zoom G1, and for me this stand out from the effects that I have already owned. If it were stolen damn, I'm gonna find that thief and break the G2.1U in his head then buy another one. What I love is that it has everything that I needed, what I hate is that you can't use the Flanger and Delay at same time. I've compared it to Boss ME-50 and they are almost similar. I chose the G2.1U over Boss ME-50 because ME-50 cost a lot compared to G2.1U but they are almast the same. I wish it had the feature that you can play the flanger, and delay at same time! Any ways this is a good product for beginners and for some Who were just starting to play seriously. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2009

Purchased from: JB Music

Ease of Use: First off, thanks to my loving wife for giving me the Zoom G2.1u as a christmas gift. Now let's get in on. The Zoom G2.1u comes in a nice box, first impressions are 8 out of 10. The drawback is that it only comes with the manual and the Cubase LE CD. I immediately tried to reset the box to it's factory settings trying to see if that works and making sure that I get a fresh start. The salesperson tried it when my wife bought it, so I reset it. Ease of use is 9/10. It's fairly simple, the four knobs are labeled nicely and even without looking at the manual I was able to go into editing one patch. Then I refered to the manual for the complete info and it was helpful enough with list of what I need to know. The presets are fairly enough to paly with, you can get a clean jangly tone all the way to a distorted mayhem BUT just fairly, just barely "there". There was nothing set amazingly good, well because they are general presets. But nonetheless, you can play with the presets on the onset. One thing I am not happy with is that the patches from A0-A9 B0-B9 are just copied to C0-C9 D0-D9, only that banks C&D are set for recording (Live versus recording via the Cabinet/Extra EQ module) and the whole A0-D9 are copied to banks 00-30. It would have been better if they made 40 totally different user presets, say 10 artist presets, 10 amp presets, 10 clean sounds, 10 dirty sounds or whatever, just a suggestion. But all in all, the presets are ok, enough banks and patches to store your ideas, editing can be as fast, storing is simple, parameters are easy to get thru with. Keep the manual handy because it has a lot of info that is rather hard to memorize. Strong points: The Control Module gives extra versatility for the expression pedal, The Control Jack that option to use another pedal for volume control or a Footswitch for extra control, and the USB interface that is simply Plug n' Play. Weak points: The drum Machine could have been better like a dedicated double time button. Couldn't ask for more since this was like just an extra feature. // 9

Sound: I am using 2 modified guitars with humbuckers and singles, with phase Switch and wiring mods thru a Marshall MG15, using the FDD most of the times and all tone knobs set to 10. I alternately connect the Zoom to the CD In and Main Guitar In. I also play the Zoom thru my PC and thru a high definition monitors and thru my earphones. It's a quiet box but it's because of the ZNR module. The Extreme Distortion effect on the Drive module can get a little bit raspy and blistering at some point but it's a good thing because it's meant to give you a very aggressive sound. The Acoustic effect is not that "acoustically sounding" but you can dial in a great sound. I use the Gate function set to full on the ZNR module for the Acoustic setup. It recreates the playing "feel" of an acoustic guitar, you have to strum hard to sound thru the gate then the decay is rather fast and immediate to recreate the acoustic strings being muted at once. But it is still my frustration not to be able to hone the "Petrucci tone", but nevertheless, I was able to dial in some good tones reminiscent to Pantera, Metallica, and even some Nu Metal phat tones. I like the Mesa Double Rectifier amp combined with the Cabinet emulation, Condenser + closed mic position 0. The Metal Zone tone is disappointing though, the mids are not that versatile and seems it's lacking the thunder of the original Metal Zone sound. Some modulation effects can be tricky like the Pedal Pitch and the Pitch Shifter. Can't seem to copy the DigiTech Whammy sound. But all in all, for my money's worth, the sound is amazing and very versatile. Sleepless nights are forthcoming. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tested it's Reliability and Durability yet but seems my little daughter is having fun stomping on it when I play. She often step on the whole thing for crying out loud. My daughter is 13kilos with big feet, and yes, she tried jumping on the pedal! These was on the first few days that I was using the G2\.1U. Let's give it an 8 first for that. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar since 1995, tried a wide spectrum of genres I shoud say and I also work as a freelance guitar tech and came across tons of effects and guitar gears. This is my first impression review, a comprehensive review coming up. I'm still waiting for the pedal to ease up on my feet, a month would be enough and maybe a few days out Live. Until then, this pedal is very good for it's value. Will keep it as a major part of my rig. I'll try to upload some audio and video next time. If someone out there is thinking of buying this product, go ahead! It's worth the bucks! // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: Darkpagey, on june 19, 2009

Price paid: £ 139.99

Purchased from: Soundhouse

Ease of Use: Being my first pedal, I had no experience with heavily editing sounds from any kind of device like this. After plugging it in for the first time, I was finding it very hard to get a good metal/rock tone out of it. I had no trouble finding a clean that I liked, however. The clean presets of amps on the pedal, for example the Roland JC, Vox AC-30, and 1965 Fender Twin Reverb are pretty decent overall, however I struggled and am still struggling to this day after owning for 8 months to get more than one distortion that I like. Personally, I find the only useable distortion to be the Peavey 50 preset, which I use to go direct through my amp, which I will admit is a hunk of junk (Marshall MG30), possibly hindering the sound. It can take a lot of editing to get a sound that you personally like, however ease of use of editing patches are brilliant. It has a clear centre screen displaying everything that happens whilst editing, and the knobs on it are easily used and clearly show what you are editing. The manual is brilliant to use - it explains all options in details and what the parameters of the presets are, allowing precise editing. Overall, it is very hard to get a good sound from it, but editing and explanation of editing are brilliant. // 7

Sound: Ibanez RG370DX (stock) > Zoom G2.1u > Marshall MG30DFX As said above I think the sound that I have currently is good to my ears (Peavey 50 distortion and JC clean), however these are my only presets and most other amp presets I found very poor and 'digital' sounding. I find it hard to get specific sounds from my favoured guitarists which is hard to achieve anyhow, but feels almost impossible to do with this budget pedal. Having little experience with effects prior to this, I have nothing to compare them to, however, for a budget pedal the variety is fantastic and the parameters are also brilliant, giving you complete control over the effect, for example a dedicated tap tempo button and level and prescence controls. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have owned the pedal for 8 months. I have had no prior issues or concerns with the pedal's reliability or durability. All buttons still work and I would be able to depend on it withpout a back up in a gig situation. I am giving it a 9 because something could always go wrong or break. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it has a great selecion of options for a budget pedal and is probably one of the ideal pedals for a first time user, for ease of use. However, for the gigging musician, or musician who has owned a multi-effects pedal before this, I think there are better things for more money out there. If it was stolen, I would definately upgrade to a higher-end Line 6 POD as the options are far greater. A quick note: The extra additional feature of free Cubase LE4 editing software is a brilliant offer. I do not regret buying it just for this, however I cannot get a good preset to use from the G2\.1U with direct-in recording which I am very disappointed about, and the cable is NOT included, which was a slight pain. Summary: A great price, a decent pedal with a ton of rack effects and editing options, and I am pleased I bought it to experiment with as a first time multi-effects pedal user. // 7

G2.1U Reviewed by: i love my ....., on october 21, 2006

Purchased from: philipos nakas

Ease of Use: It has been made somewhere in the East (I don't know exacly where or wht year. The pedal is easy to use once you fidlle about with it for a while, you have to be a little bit patient to find the right effects/sounds. Patch editing is a very easy to do once you get used to the buttons etc. The manual is not extremelly good or extremellly bad, it is helpfull with the effects setings but not very useful in telling you what they do/ sound like. // 9

Sound: I se this pedal into a Line 6 head and 100w cabinet. I have used my Yamaha pac112(my first), Ibanez RG350DX, Fender Fat strat, Gibson Les paul, through it and t sounds perfect with all of them. It is noisy on the very high gain settings such as Zoom ED (Extreme Distortion) turned on full and only on the pacifica. The effects always sound great, with a bit of setting the way you like it. You can get many sounds from it from loads of ifferent genres like, I play Metallica, Black Sabbath, Opeth, pandera, rage against the Machine, led zeppelin and many more, and you can get the sounds you need if you look for them. My personal favorits are the: Zoom E.Distortion, Mesa Boogie, peavy, Marshall Drive, the Boss Overdrive and the acoustic simulator. The effect I really hate is the Boss MT. From the others I use the wah, stereo chorus (good for playing nirvana songs especially smells like teen spirit solo) and many different types of delay. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it I have had it for half a year and it stil looks like it did when I got it out of the box (whell maybe dirtier). I have used it on a 1 hour+ gig many times without a problem. It is sturdy a hell it has rubber parts and the rest of it is made of metal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music and this pedal works for all. I have been THe for 5 years of unstopable practice. The only thing I wish I had asked before I got it was if ti had a adaptor. If it was stolen I would get the person Who stole it, force him to eat it, and the make him buy me new one. I compared it with many stompboxes the other Zoom effects in the same price range and other multieffects pedals and this one I liked more. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: SummertimeBlues, on october 30, 2006

Purchased from: Music street

Ease of Use: At first this pedal takes quite a bit of getting used to, due to the rotary knob for changing banks being a bit awkward when playing. However, when you get past that initial challenge, it gets a lot easier and more enjoyable. Editing patches is easier than pie once you've had a bit of practice. You can tweak pretty much every option imaginable to get the sound just right. As for the manual. It came with like 6- one for every country/language it's sold in! The only downside I found was that the expression has to be calibrated to work properly and there is only a pretty small piece on this in the manual, which, inevitably I managed to miss and spent ages getting crap out of the wah! I did figure this out though and now it works fine, so no bad play on their part. // 8

Sound: I have a Fender Mexican Strat and Marshall AVT50X. There's no noise at all, due to noise reduction effect, which basically cuts out quiet signals- ie hum, but doesnt't affect the volume of your playing. This is a great feature and really improves the sound of your playing when you use high gain settings. All the effects work fine and do a great job. The only one that isn't quite perfect is the wah, which although is pretty damn good, I just feel it could be a bit smoother. The really standout effect on this is the 'extreme distortion' as it just 'feels' right and is amazingly clear despite being really heavy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never had one single problem with it. It just keeps going and hopefully will do so for a long time! You have to press pretty hard on it to activate the expression pedal but it handles this really well. It has metal casing so it's not gonna just fall apart if you drop it either. // 10

Overall Impression: I play any style of music this pedal lets me, and that's a lot! Works great for anything, even the acoustic simulator rocks. I've been playing 2 and a half years now, not really used many other effects pedals, but with this Who needs to? If it were lost I would get another one, a few others on the market offer the same range of effects but none of them look as cool or sound as good as this one! The recording feature is great, and it's what really made my mind up to buy this over anything else. Once I found out that it had the USB port and software with it, I bought it pretty much straight away. // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 02, 2006

Ease of Use: I have had my G2.1U for almost a year now, and I can say that after a few checks to the manual (which had a correction sheet, scary) you will soon get the hang of it. The manual is very clear and precise, and it details everything-from using the drum Machine to writing your own patches. I have not yet managed to get the full potential out of the Cubase recording software that it comes with, but I can say it is very useful, if a little confusing at times. // 10

Sound: I am using the G2.1U with a relatively good 60 watt guitar amp (the make is obscure). The effects sound quite amazing through even this bottom of the range amp, and that is really all I can say, as if you don't like a sound on it then you can just change it using the settings on the G2.1U. The manual also comes with some handy tips on which patches will mimic the sound of certain artists (Green Day, Beatles etc) the best. Also, it has an excellent drum Machine with 40 non editable loops, which are very useful for recordng. The only downpoint about the effects in general is that I found the wah quite dissapointing, but for the price it is still quite impressive. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The G2.1U is very solidly built, mine has had some close meetings with concrete pavements only for me to find not a single scratch. The pedal attached to it is very solid and nicely shaped for the feet, as are the buttons, although it is worth mentioning that I have had to oil the pedal a few times. I can't say it would be a very good to use at a gig on it's own, I have used it more as a base effect to work on and then used seperate effects over it when playing live. It would be better to say it is more suited as a studio effect box, where it can be used on its own, but it isnt great for using at high speed Live gigs. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, even though I have only had it for about 11 months, and I use other effects over it, the G2.1U is a very competent effects pedal for good overall use. It fits all aspects of playing, from quiet studio session recording to blazing Live acts. If this is the first or last pedal you ever get, make sure you work it until it will not work any more. // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2007

Purchased from: Another owner

Ease of Use: Since I previously owned two other Zoom products (Zoom 505 & Zoom 707), I'd say that Zoom Corporation has had ease-of-use inherent in it's products. Getting a good sound isn't really much of a hassle because once you plug into it and into an amp, you'd be surprised how fun tweaking could have been. Most of the possible sounds you hear from records are within a few tweaks away. The manual is simple and very comprehensible as are the manuals of my previous Zoom effects pedals. // 9

Sound: I am currently using an Aria PRO II, Diamond Series with Fender Lace Sensors on neck & mid. I only own a 15-watt brandless guitar practice amp. During gigs, I'd plug into whatever is on the set so I guess I should have full use of whatever Zoom G2.1u has to offer in terms of sound versatility. I'm always after 80's & 90's rock-type distortions like Van Halen, Dream Theater, and Metallica to name a few and I believe I've nailed some of their settings into my unit. Clean tones/reverbs/choruses are very nice and very crystal clear. I attribute the buzz noise from my Lace sensors. Haven't got time to fix it atm. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Unlike the 2 other multi-effects that I have which are made in hard plastic, G2\.1U is made out of metal. It's a plus-raised-to-X for me since I travel a lot with my meager gear. I've never used a backup ever since I got into playing. Overall very reliable and durable enough on most gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for over 12 years now. I usually favor classic rock and metal and all that stuff. Half of my guitar-playing has been a journey for the right tone and effects since this was the time I started playing a more varied sort of music. I would have chosen those stomp boxes over any multi-effects anytime but I just don't have the budget this is where G2 comes in. I've compared the G2 against my 05 and 707. All three have distinct flavors. I chose G2 to be 'fuller' in tone. I've also had an encounter with this other guitarist Who had been using a Boss multi-effects for 2 years and he thought of buying a G2. If my G2 unit gets stolen if it gets stolen! I'm keeping this baby under my bed! The only thing I wish this unit would have is the patch name. The 707 had a LED display of up to 6 characters + 2 (patch/bank). // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: hugh20, on january 26, 2008

Purchased from: Nevada music

Ease of Use: When I first got it I was amazed and when I got it out the box I was really confused. If you've never used a Zoom pedal you will have to read the manual though, once I had the hang of it it was amazing! the manual is easy to read and it has preset patches in it for bands like Green Day and heart. You can edit every aspect of a patch easily. // 9

Sound: I am using it with a Squier Strat and Marshall MG30DFX so it is not used to it's full capabilitys but it sounds really good. It cancels out a lot of the noise on it's fuzz setting which is really handy and it has a nice acoustic sound. The effects I use most are fuzz, distortion and overdrive, the 2nd knob from the left controls the gain. I have managed to replicate a lot of Muse sounds. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could trust this to hell and back, it takes AA batterys and ac power, an adapter is supplied, and I would use it in a gig with out backup as long as I had new batterys. It is built like a tank. It has sides of rubbery stuff and I havn't scratched or dented it, yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock so the Overdrive effects suit me well and it produces a realistic acoustic sound. I have been playing for 2 years and this is my first pedal, I will defintly buy another higher end Zoom but for the while this is all I need. If it were lost or stolen I would go and buy another one before you could say 'Zoom'. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: madvedon, on june 13, 2008

Purchased from: 2nd hand

Ease of Use: It takes some time to get what you doing because all it shows you is 2 letters that should say it all, believe me it's hard to remember. The editing of patching can get to quite frustrating but in the end Who said the hunt for perfect sound is easy? The original manual is very good covers all default patches and every kind of effect that they threw into this Effect. In addition you get the cubase LE program that is really nice and it has guide for Pcs and macs. But it can't read the Zoom hardware on vista. // 7

Sound: I use Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Ibanez 470RG to multi effect then to Ibanez tbrx 15w amp or head phones or pc. Some of the distortions are rubbish but some surprisingly good. I mostly play metal and heavy rock + some fusion style I found good distortions for rock or fusion but not metal there is no distortion that really cuts thought like I want it to. Even if I put the distortion on max I can use 3 kinds of noise gates so there is no noise problems. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ok this where it really blows after a year of home/studio use. one of the main buttons stopped working: the one that switches the effects down the list even thought I tried to fix it it just broke down and will never get fixed so actually I glad that I had time to set up my favorite defaults like I want them too because I can't edit the patches anymore. Second is that the Whammy pedal is shrieking like some one killed it and it can't be dissembled for maintenance. In my studio I have the Boss GT-3 so it's a no no for my Zoom. // 4

Overall Impression: If it were stolen I would thank the idiot Who did that because I have an insurance so I can get myself a proper effects. The recordings with it straight to the pc sound lacking of some human touch. it's really good Multi to experience with diffrent kinds of sound but that's it when you get to higer level and stop experimenting it won't cut it anymore. I wish it had quality building and TUBESS(jk:)) now I am more into Tube effect that don't have processors because the sound can stay not digitalized until the recording IMO it's far more superior sound to the digitalized multi effects. // 7

G2.1U Reviewed by: nick_b, on june 14, 2008

Ease of Use: First day I tried it out, I found it a little difficult to navigate, which may put you off, but after using the manual a lot for about a week, I found it a really effective little pedal. Editing patches is easy and it switches very quickly between settings. However, it does take some learning to understand how to do these things. // 8

Sound: I use a Les Paul Knockoff and a Jem with this pedal, and the sound it gets is great. Everything from Metallica, Pink Floyd and Steve Vai come up sounding great, thanks to this. Some of the Effects have little usage in certain instances (digital vibrato sounds annoying, Maximum Gain of 'Zoom Extreme Distortion' setting is too harsh), but all in all, you can get some great and unique sounds out if this. The built in Wah setting allow you to sound like Jimi and Provide music for porno films, if you are so inclined. // 9

Reliability & Durability: No problems here. I've had it for about six months, using it about 3 hours a day, and it hasn't let me down yet. No troubles whatsoever. I would use it by itself in a gig situation if I had to, but just to be on the safe side, I'd probably bring along something else, just in case. // 9

Overall Impression: My style of playing is rather eclectic and I love trying out different styles of music. This pedal hasn't let me down at all. It nails everything I play, and the expression pedal adds a lot more versitility than it's non-EP'd counterparts. If I had the money, I'd probably invest in individual pedals, but for my budget, it works great. If someone nicked it, I'd probably buy a new one, as they're much cheaper now than they were 6 months ago. The Drive setting were what sold it for me, as I needed a system that could change between clean and dirty very quickly. However, if possible avoid the vibrato and step pitch modulator, as they are more annoying than effective. Minor Quibbles aside, this is a great addition to any guitarist's setup. // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: D_Emily, on august 25, 2008

Price paid: € 160

Purchased from: Key music

Ease of Use: First day I got it, I didn't wonna read the guide, and guess what, you don't really need it to check out the effects. For the drum Machine or tuner etc. you better read it though. But anyway, it's really easy to use. U can edit patches as you like, and just go to another one so changes won't be changed if you were just messing a bit. Once you get used to the switches and footpedal it's really easy to use while playing in a band, also you can make your own bank (1bank is 10patches) so you can get the effects you want for playing on one bank which is kinda handy and cool! // 10

Sound: Im using it with a Laney TFX1 amplifier, it got a nice Drive channel but with this pedal I always play with clean channel of amp. I mainly play Blink 182, Angels And Airwaves and Nirvana music (I know, these bands aren't similar at all, but I like them) but I don't really get the same sound (never really tried), because I made this bank with my own effects and it kinda sounds better to me (well, I made effects with my bandmates, it's actually our style, cuz i'm not saying my effects are better sound hehe). Anyway, I think the distortion/overdrive sounds of pedal really suck if you use gain of your amp, but with clean it's really sweet (as in ownage). It got some sick patches for clean notes (bank 2, patch 1 for example). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been using it for 2 weeks now, playing atleast every 2 days a couple of hours. It never fell/had contact with water whatsoever, and it's not supposed to survive that I think so I'm carefully with it. Anyway, I don't think the switches or footpedal would ever break. I use it with small gigs of band, and I don't think it will ever break. // 9

Overall Impression: I play some sort of combination of alternative rock (Angels And Airwaves) and punk (not really punk, between Blink and Antiflag), this pedal can handle all kind of genres, if someone is starting out with this pedal, check out patches '20' '21' 'D3' 'B0' and '06', with these u can directly go cover songs in a nice way. (I edited these a little bit though). But they rock anyway. Someone I know got this line6 POD (not sure about type exactly), but it was far more expensive (so is his amp, don't know type either), but I actually get better sound of my amp and pedal (by the way, im using either a old Fernandes guitar, or Stagg guitar, they are both kinda crappy haha ). I've been playing for over a year, I got 2 teachers + I played in 2 bands (now just 1) so I'm becoming quite ok. But with this pedal, people think you play longer really (well better). If it were stolen, or I'd be stupid enough to let it fall and it would break, I would DEFFINITLY buy another one, it's rather cheap, uber sound, easy to use, you get cubase program, tuner etc all in one! I'm sure there's something better out there (prolly expensive as hell) but this really rocks. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: Nebjy, on december 24, 2008

Purchased from: Sam ash

Ease of Use: It's not easy to get a great sound out of it at fist, but after getting used to editing patches it gets easier. One of the main things you have to have is the manual, but that should be a given anyway... All in all, it's fairly straight forward and you can get a monster tone for not-a-lot of cash. // 9

Sound: I'm using it with a Peavey TKO 65 Bass amp and a Roland Cube 30X. It has a noise gate, and a noise suppressor which has come in handy when playing really loud. Most of the effects sound great, as long as they aren't too complicated. (The pitch shifter and the wah pedal dont sound awesome but they're to the point.) Combined with the parametric EQ on my TKO, I can get a very Dimebag esque tone and with my Strat I can get a manageable SRV knockoff tone. I'd have to say my favorite feature of this unit is the extra EQ section where you can adjust Extremely low frequencies, Extremely high frequencies and adjust harmonics. When used in moderation, these elements can emulate a tube-like tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far, it has been reliable. (knock on wood) it has endured about 2 years of home use. I'd probably use it in a gig without backup. But maybe after awhile I'd upgrade to something bigger. I mean it's not like I can actually go into the unit mid-show and use a soldering iron on it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play country, rock, etc, been playing for 2 years roughly at the time I'm writing this review. I own an Ibanez Jetking2, Fender Stratocaster, and a Squier affinity stratocaster loaded with a Bill Lawrence. I got it as a gift from my father and before I got it he asked "What do you think of this?" and I said I'd perfer individual pedals. I still perfer individual pedals, but getting this great of guitar tone on a tight budget is awesome. I might not replace it if it got stolen or something since 50 of the dollars goes to the cheap and annoying Cubase Le software. I love how relatively simple it is, however simple has it's limitations and you can't affect which order the effects go in, which I hate. My favorite feature is the Extra eq as stated before. Another neat thing is the 3 different delay modules (Since the reverb module can act as a type of delay). I didn't compare it to other multi effects but I'd perfer this to the Line 6 and Boss multi effects in the 200 dollar price range. // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: telemetal, on january 08, 2009

Price paid: A$ 180

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Its fairly easy to get a good sound of this unit, just expreiment with the knobs, refer to the manual and you can dial in your sound. Editing patches is also easy, just the same as creating them really, twist some knobs, press a button, and there you go. The manual is fine, concise and to the point about what you need to, what does what, and even offers some suggestions on how to get a good sound. // 9

Sound: I usually run the G2\.1U through a Peavey Bandit 112, and either and '96 Deluxe Annv Tele, or an Epiphone Les Paul 100. The G2\.1U can get a bit noisy with a distortion patch, but for the most part, it is fairly quiet. Some of the effects can a bit weak, particularly the pedal controlled wah's. The auto wah's are fine, but the pedal controlled wah's just lack definition, and have a horrible sweep. I don't try to dial in a replica of my favourite artists tone, I try to find a similar tone, and it's done fine, from a tone akin to Children Of Bodom through to a Clapton-esque tone. As I said the wah's are poor, tolerable, but still poor nonetheless. All the other effects sound fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid as a rock, it's made of rubber and metal, and can take a beating as I'm not the most gentle user, and I tend to stomp it fairly hard, and it's helf up fine. I'd use it at a gig without a back up, it would easily hold up to almost anything you throw at it // 10

Overall Impression: I play a bit of everything and this unit can do anything in a pinch, it just won't excel in one area, but as it's my first effects unit, and it's a multiFX, I wasn't expecting Satch-like tone. I've played for about 3 years, only about 1 being real serious about guitar, and I've got my Fender Tele, an Epi LP, a Peavey amp, and that's it. I didn't really ask anything I just read a lot of reviews, and compared it to a few other MultiFX. If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably start hunting down individual stompboxes, mainly because they would give me a better tone. I love the fact I can use it for almost any genre I care to throw at it, but I despise the wah on it, as I've said numerous times. I compared it to a Line 6 Floor POD, and since I couldn't test either this won out just due to the reviews I was reading. I wish it had a wider sweep in the wah, primarily, and a better EQ would be nice, but overall, I'm pleased with this, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to get into playing with effects. // 8

G2.1U Reviewed by: dark templar, on february 10, 2009

Purchased from: JB Music

G2.1U Reviewed by: Jelly Man, on march 03, 2009

Purchased from: Island Music

Ease of Use: Well, I do not know much about pedals as this is the first pedal I have owned but I had no trouble of finding my way around it. It is easy to go through the different effects and change the drum Machine effect. The manual is not needed for this as it is very simple to Pick up on. // 10

Sound: I am using a very cheap second hand Westfield Explorer which is a piece of crap and a Kustom amplifier which is also not so good but as this pedal is so good I actually get a decent, clean sound out it or distorted if I wish. The effects are amazing and there are so many to choose from. My personal favourite is probably the reverb as it really has a perfect sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I have only had this for about 3 months and I personally don't think it is going to fail on me. I wouldn't need a backup pedal as it would not be needed with this amazing pedal. I can see me still using this same pedal in a year or two so time still working fine. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is good for any style of music you are playing. The drum Machine is very handy if needing improvement on timing, many different drum beats to choose from. But as I said, this is my first pedal, but I have heard my friends pedals and personally I think mine sound a lot better then theirs and they also agree. I mean, it must be pretty good if Black Label Society use this! // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: aleksander100, on february 17, 2010

Purchased from: Sharma Music Electronics

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get good sound out of it you already get 40 manufacturer's presets and you can program 40, it takes time to get the correct sound out of it but there is a website which has the instructions to set the patch you want, the website all amazing songs included. The sad thing is that is has just 2 letter display but since manual is self explanatory and tells what the letters mean it becomes easy to make patches. I give it a 9 just because it lacks the ability of downloading patches. // 9

Sound: I use with Epiphone-Flying-V and Ibanez RGR321EX and connect it to a Marshall MG-30, the effects are great especially the harmonizer and the noise reduction feature. Since I like playing rock and metal I do get the sound of Black Sabbath, Wolfmother, Green Day, Dream Theatre, Megadeth, etc, as I mentioned the website on top yeah I get the sound I want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has great rugged look, yes I can truly depend on it, it has fallen many times still works, the only problem I once faced was that the stomp switches got loose and din't get pressed and had to get them changed but that is probably because I hit them too hard. // 9

Overall Impression: According to The Music I play it is amazing, I have been playing since 2 and half years and this is my only 1 processor, The only thing I wish have asked before buying is that whether I can connect it to PC and download patches but that is not a big problem. If it gets lost and I am low on budget I would buy it again. As I mentioned I love the ability of it to sound like any song I want with the help of that website, few great effects like acoustic guitar, harmonizer, and noise reduction, drum beat/metronome Machine and ability to connect it to the computer and being able to use it as an audio interface and directly record with it, there is just 1 thing I dislike is that I can't download patches. I did not compare it to other products as I was novice when I bought it. // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 04, 2010

Purchased from: Local music shop

Ease of Use: This pedal is quite hard to get used to - the tiny display doesn't make much sense, and there are loads of options to choose from. You'd be lost without the instruction booklet, which thankfully explains everything well, but even then you constantly need to look back at it because of the number of effects on this pedal. Once you get the hang of it, you can kind of work things out. // 6

Sound: Let's start off by saying that this pedal is far from the excellent all-in-one pedal wonder everyone's raving about. Looks (or sounds) like Zoom went for quantity rather than quality this time. Two main effects I wanted this pedal for are distortion and wah; there is plenty of distortion effects, but none of them sound good to my ear - they sound really tinny and digital, even the built-in gain on my amp (a humble Marshall MG10) sounds better. As for wah, that's where the biggest dissapointment is - you can't actually turn it off when you select it. It sound good when you press the pedal down, but even if you lift your foot off it completely (so that it's at starting position), the Wah effect is set to 50%, which completely distorts the sound of the guitar. This cannot be changed as far as I'm aware. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The pedal itself looks pretty sturdy, it doesn't look like it would break under gig conditions, however I can't be sure as I've only had it for a day, and for that reason I can't comment on it's reliability. I think it would be safe to use it in a live situation though. // 8

Overall Impression: I've only had this pedal for a day and I'm returning it to the shop. It's nothing but great dissapointment, and for the price, it would be just easier for me to buy a crybaby Wah and a Boss distortion pedal. It would only cost about 20-30 quid more but quality would be 100x better. Would not recommend. // 5

G2.1U Reviewed by: ManuShaalya, on june 03, 2010

Ease of Use: Its pretty easy to get a good sound and to create a patch of your own taste. The manual is pretty good but you will probably not need it badly..Just play around for a few hours and you'll get the hang of it! The Zoom G1.1Nu is apparently the upgraded version. // 9

Sound: I am currently using it with an ESP SC 207. I have also used it with Ibanez RG 350, ESP EC 50, Jackson RR and many other guitars. The sound you get on different guitars is a little different. I found it hard to set a good patch for my single coil pickup guitar but you get a lot of patches online..so try them. Some are actually good. The effects sound amazing..as long as you have good pickups. I particularly love the clean-acoustic sounds that are preset. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this for over 20 shows so far and hopefully there is much more to come. I am not planning on buying another processor as of now because I pretty much get what exactly I want. If you can sit and spend some time on setting patches, you'll have all you need. Durable? Yes! Vey much. I've had this for around one or one and half years..and in this time I have dropped several times and am surprised it still is in one piece..and working absolutely fine! // 10

Overall Impression: I play absolutely everything from classical to Death Metal and this gives me a perfect sound for everything. If it were stolen, I'd probably buy this again..or the Line 6 POD X3 live..I don't know why..may be because everyone is buying it! What do I love about it? May be the usb recording feature. I compared it with the Korg AX5G and DigiTech RP 250, RP 255. These are relatively slower when it comes to changing the patches..the DigiTech in particular seemed very slow. I just wish it looked bigger just to please the people that judge the quality by the size! // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: Unholy.Daemon, on july 27, 2010

Ease of Use: When I first got this, I cycled through every single effect and most of them are already very well done, great tone and shape to the sounds. Editing the patches is a little tricky at first, and it took me a while to get used to, but using the manual, you can Pick it up very easily and then you'll be well away. // 8

Sound: I am currently using a variety of Les Pauls and Strats and I'm running then through just a simple PA system. The effects rarely produce any unnecessary noise unless the noise gate is turned up enough. The pre-programmed effects are generally quite good, and there is obviously a couple that aren't so great, but seeing as you can edit and create your own effects, it's not really a problem. It's generally quite easy to achieve a tone close to that of a band you like, for example I've managed to get something extremely close to Dimebag Darrel, Machine Head, Lostprophets, etc. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for nearly 2 years now, and I've only had a problem today with it. The left footswitch stopped working, but I just took the back cover off and tightened up the screws. To be honest, this thing is made so well. After 2 years of quite hard abuse, it has only had one problem. I would definately use this at any gig without a back up and I have done. It does it's job effortlessly really. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, rock and progressive. This pedal suits them very well, but I've managed to find effects that would suit pretty much any sound you want, you just have to fiddle about with it. If it got stolen, I'd want to go and find the person and take this one back, because it's my baby. However, if I couldn't find it, I would most likely go out and buy something like a POD Floor Pro, simply because it's bigger and you don't have to cycle through the effects. The only problem I have with this is the switches get slightly squeaky after a while of having it, but that's not a problem as when you have your guitar on, it will definately drown it out. // 9

G2.1U Reviewed by: LeoKisomma, on january 14, 2011

Purchased from: Unknown

Ease of Use: This depends on how well you can read the instruction manual. There are lots of settings in each setting for this little pedal. It's like opening the doors of the Doctor's T.A.R.D.I.S. to discover he's trying to build a galaxy, and succeeding. The thing is there are 9 patches that can be used at once, and each one with a unique part of your guitar's sound is being controlled. For example there's a patch for a Compressor with various settings, 17 different forms of distortion and all with adjustable treble, level in the signal(how much you want this to impact the sound of your guitar) and gain along with the usual treble, middle and bass all controlled from another patch. Read the booklet and it really does become easy. The key is setting up the sound you want before a gig and saving it that way using it's "store function". You literally can have things just the way you like them. After that, you simply Switch between the channels with the two foot-switches(remember to turn the left-most dial to it's most anti-clockwise position otherwise you're altering the effects on that channel) and then play. The built in foot-switch also makes Wah-Wah Pedal and Overdrive control possible, and if that wasn't enough there are two Wah settings in case you don't like one of them. There really is very little wrong with this pedal that I can find in terms of useability. I've played gigs with this pedal on while my amp is on high gain and it's worked fine, still sturdy and even has a noise reduction system built in. No modifications have been made to it. Same as it was in the box, without upgrades. The booklet explains all. // 9

Sound: Practically anything the Boss produces with it's pocket-size pedals is in this. It has a Compressor channel which really helps for quite overdriven sounds, and I does work for those wondering if volume stops the pedal from functioning properly. I personally try to use as few effects as possible, not because of this pedal but because I view pedals as sticky plasters. They're there to hide what's wrong with the amplifier, or to support it, but the amp is what does the job. This pedal is a very good plaster though. I'll go through the patches as thoroughly as I can. The Wah/EFX patch is where either the two Wah settings or one of many other settings can be used as the main effect input to the guitar's signal. Other settings include normal and dynamic flanger as well as normal and dynamic chorus, both with adjustable parameters, and that isn't even all the effects in there. All are of a very high quality, and any dissatisfaction with the sound for me has come from my not setting the dials correctly. The Wahs are as good as a Cry Baby pedal I've heard a friend use live; the pedal is obviously not as free moving as a Cry Baby pedal but that's because it's set to manage all the effects, and it's easily gotten used to. ZNR(zoom noise reduction). A brilliant little noisegate with three settings which are there to cater for the needs of each individual player; specifically to me it allows me to hit all the high pinched harmonics I need without getting in the way, and if it does get in the way I can turn the sensitivity down. It really does annoy you by making all the errors your fault and not the pedal's. The Drive patch has 17 different setting including a special Acoustic setting for those wanting to play house of the rising sun or stairway to heaven again and again and again. These include overdrives produced by amps and pedals, but the pedal effects are better simply because amp sounds can only be replicated by the amplifiers themselves. Trying to get a transistor to sound like a valve is not going to end well most of the time. The effects pedal effects are fantastic though. My top three would be the MZ/metal zone pedal setting, the Boss SD-1 distortion setting(fantastic 80's rock sound with far more gain than the Original pedal produced) and the Fuzz Face setting(Hendrix man! ). These are brilliant for amps with not enough gain for your liking, and if you really want can add just a bit of spice to an already on fire sound. I personally rely on my amps for overdrive, but these are good for people with not so good amps. EQ is basically all the tone setting but in the pedal as well, so pretty self explanatory, but useful. The studio/live patch is explained in the booklet, and it specifically changes setting inside the pedal to sound better for either a recording device or live performance, and it also allows for these parameters to be altered. The SFX channel is the second effects channel and has even more juicy effects including a ring modulator(weird sounding), and octave shifter, an octave chorus and pitch chorus(makes it sound like there's a second guitar playing an octave above or below you) as well as lots of other effects that can also be programmed into it, and all with adjustable settings. I use the octave chorus along with a Wah on another patch to get a really 'galactic' sound for spacey stuff, and it's superb. The effects go together like bread and butter, and although some will say the effects should all be in separate pedals, this is probably cheaper than many pedals that just do one thing. Delay patch is again self explanatory, but most amps I've played already have this in them, so I don't need it. It's there to be used though and full adjustable, even by tapping to get you desired intervals. Reverb is again unessicary for me but it is there and it does work quite well. Do what you will with it, it does work well when you set it right. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped it, accidentally kicked it, accidentally dropped it then accidentally kicked it and it's still working. It's like a little lump of titanium. I wouldn't recommend testing it to destruction though as that's wasting your money. This hasn't let me down so far though, and I have been slightly careless. It come with it's own adapter cable so battery life won't always be an issue live either. Typical battery life at continuous use should be about 7 and a half hours. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy rock, classic rock, classic metal, old school rock and bits of blues, funk and prog mixed in. No matter where I go this pedal follows like a translater, endlessly changing to fit what I'm trying to do. If it were stolen I would buy two so that I wouldn't be without one the next time it's nicked. I think that it is far, far too cheap for the shear amount of stuff in it, but I'm not going to complain about that, are you? If you want all the effects the professionals have with 15 pedals but only have the money for one, buy this one in my opinion. // 10

G2.1U Reviewed by: roanba, on april 08, 2011

Price paid: € 140

Purchased from: music store

Ease of Use: This pedal is quite easy to use. The manual is explicit enough for almost all the effects which can be found, and explains how to fix everything together. Making its own patches isn't such a burden as it can be on other, more complicated pedals. And there is also preset patches which can be used at once. // 9

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Standard guitar, along with a Fender Frontman 65W. This pedal has a quite large range of effects. Most of them are adjustable to whatever you want to do. There is around 10 different distortions/overdrive, 3 delays, 6 reverb, 2 choruses, etc... Most of the effects sound really nice, especially the Phaser and the choruses. The Wah-Wah can be a little weak sometimes, but it sounds ok. The only effects which are really awful are the octaver and the "harmonic effect", which "helps you to keep with a given key", but which makes just your sound terrible. The clean sound is a little weak (in power, I mean), but the Overdrive sounds really powerful. A single think that bothers me : it's quite easy to do a nice clean or overdriven sound, but it's much harder to do a tune in between. I play all times of music, from hard rock to blues, and I don't really have any problems to make some sounds similar to these artists. Especially, you can make an EVH sound that sounds really amazing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've been using it for more than 2 years and I don't really have a problem with it. It even resisted to the fells, kick, or other things. The expression pedal is now somehow rusted, but I thinks it's the kind of things you'd expect after 2 years of use :-) // 9

Overall Impression: For playing blues, classic rock, hard rock, or even to counterfeit an Acoustic guitar, this pedal is very nice, and will offer a great sound for a relatively low price for novice and intermediate guitar players. Even if some effects are a bit off, most of them just rocks. // 8

G2.1U Reviewed by: Ramwen, on july 25, 2011

Purchased from: Used

Ease of Use: The day I brought this baby home with me I wasn't able to understand a thing about it. I could only Switch from one patch to another but then I took a look at the manual and things got so clear to me. I've had it now for four days and I'm starting to get used to every knob/button/effect/etc. Editing and storing patches is very easy but they could've created a better interface design (and they did that with the G2.1Nu) instead of just displaying the initials of every thing, because that can be a little bit confusing. I mean how are we supposed to know that "Mt" stands for "Metal Zone"? To understand every initials' meaning you have to look it up in the manual which is very clear and contains every single information you need to know/understand about this pedal. And even if you loose the book, you can easily download it in a PDF format from the official website. I'm not sure that you can update the firmware and I believe that you won't need to do it anyway. // 7

Sound: I use a Fender Squier Stratocaster (3 bad quality single coils) and a Marshall Valvestate VS15R amp with this pedal and it sounds great. You can't complain about having some noise problems with this pedal because it contains the ZNR Module (Zoom Noise Reduction) which is able to eliminate any noise you want to get rid off. I honestly never thought that I'll ever get a good distortion sound from a guitar like mine without any humming or buzzing. There's even a "Noise Gate" that cuts off the sound in playing pauses without effecting the overall tone. All the effects generally sound great, especially the distortion and chorus but the Wah-Wah will start to sound bad to you after you hear it from other pedals. It takes some time to get the sounds you want but you'll get any one you like. You can find patches everywhere on The Internet (guitar forums, effects websites etc. E.g.: guitarpatches.haax.se) So far I've managed to get the tones of: Dimebag Darrell (Pantera), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Angus Young (AC/DC), Chuck Schuldiner (Death)... // 7

Reliability & Durability: From the outside you can see that this pedal is made out of steel and solid rubber but that doesn't mean that everything is firm and solid on the inside. The guy who sold me the pedal told me that one of the buttons stopped working and he had to fix it. I faced the same problem; the "effect type +" button broke in the inside and I had to open the pedal and weld the plastic part of it. But aside from that everything is working well, so far so good! I would use a new Zoom G2.1U in a gig without any backup, but not a used one that is at least a few months old. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of genres (rock, hard rock, death metal, country, blues) and this pedal is great for me, it's really polyvalent and you can get any sound you want with it. I have been playing for 3-4 years now and this is the best piece of equipment I've had so far (I already mentioned that I have a Fender Squier Strat and a Marshall VS15R) I wish I had asked more questions before buying it about the interface design which didn't live up to my expectations. If it were stolen/lost I wouldn't buy it again but I would buy the G2.1Nu, at least that one has an LCD screen with much better display. I love almost everything about this pedal, and I'm pretty fond of the rhythm function (integrated drum Machine) and the auto-chromatic tuner. I wouldn't say "I hate" the interface design and the screen but I don't like them. I didn't really compare it to other products before buying it and thank god it was a lucky shot, I could've stumbled upon something much worse and I'd be full of remorse and regrets right about now. The main thing that attracted me to this pedal was the price along with some demonstration videos on Youtube, I should've compared it to other pedals and read more about it but I don't regret buying it. But I just wish it had more preset drum patterns and a better interface. // 8

G2.1U Reviewed by: ryan.regular, on november 04, 2011

Ease of Use: Well my first impression of this peddle was wow its amazing. But I would call that excitement. As I began to play around with it, I realized how hard it is to get the sound you want. Volume is always a problem between patches. The manual seems to help abit but don't let it out your site cos its alot to remember. Its not impossible to make a goodish patch but it takes time. // 4

Sound: I'm using an 1970 American Strat and a Marshall MG amp. Ok digital is how this peddle rolls you have to enter the perfect balance of sounds for it not to be digital. The Wah is terrible every time you move your foot on the peddle its terribly digital. It compression has good setting and horrible settings. The noise gates are good. The drives are ok some digital and some just alright. I found I liked the reverb and chorus maybe some others but nothing to blow you away otherwise a bad quality sound. The drumb Machine is cool for jamming with. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I've had this peddle for 2 years now. It has a solid steal case and hasn't had the best treatment but its still working like its new. Because I don't like it much, I lent it a 10 year old who plays weekly in a youth band, its still going strong. And he defiantly treats it like dirt I took it back from him a week ago cos the peddle didn't move as smoothly as it should, so I just took it apart and got all the sand out (playing with muddy shoes) and it works like I just bought it. // 9

Overall Impression: Ok I never use this peddle except for the drum machine. The 10 year old kid loves it though I am actually considering giving it to him because I have no use for it anymore once I buy my Boss RC 30 (also has a drum machine). I'm building me a peddle board now NOTE!: Always do research before buying a peddle (YouTube video). // 1

G2.1U Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2012

Price paid: € 190

Purchased from: Waltons

Ease of Use: At the start tricky but I was always used to effect pedals and after an hour I had it set up for stage use, I have a Rivera amp and the channel switcher broke and I thought the Zoom might mess up my Rivera as I had good pedals like a Boss delay reverb the grey one a Boss Compressor, an Ibanez TS9, Marshall Guvnor, Mesa V Twin, Boss chorus and a Boss harmonizer. I didn't own a Wah pedal at the time in 2003 and was playing for ABBA "Mamamia" and I needed a wahwah so I bought this pedal, didn't need the manual as I fairly understood all the amp modes in the display. // 9

Sound: I use G&L Legacy, Ibanez's 470, Fender 2005 Tele USA Yamaha silent guitar, Taylor TS9, PRS, Peavey, EVH. I prefer the G&L or the S470 I have two S470. And the two differ alot, the effects are good and add alot to the Rivera I just plug in and go besides using effects loops, the volume pedal is shitty but I use a MusicMan one for that, the twin sound is good for country as I practice through a pa system I use an I pad for backing tracks or to slow music down it also works well with guitar pro if you know how to use it, may take a while to get it used to live performance for user patch changes but once you know how its easy blows a pod away. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would never go to a gig without it, the power supply packed in last weak I had to run to a petrol station to get the batterys for it just incase, it may look rough now one of the panels missing off the side and a few chrome knobs missing, a new power supply, I have it set up for me. I had an 8002 in the 90s this thing kicks ass, also I have a studio friend who is at the top of his game and loves the tone of this amp tech for us older guys has come on leaps and bounds. // 10

Overall Impression: I play country she matches 10, I play EVH she is 10, I play Eric Johnson 10, Albert Lee 10! Playing twenty years, pods Rockman Boss, Mesa Bogie, DigiTech, Roland, Vox, Fender, Marshal. If it was lost I'd buy it again I looked at the upgrade models, one thing I would like to change is the two buttons to 3 to maby knoff the Compressor for rhythm. // 9

Comments