G2Nu review by Zoom

Zoom: G2Nu

Purchased from: Muisicians Friend

Let's put it this way, I didn't even need the instruction manual to figure this unit out. That easy. But if you do have problems the instructions guides, online support and YouTube videos can help you out. You'd have to be pretty dumb not to be able to use this unit. If you have problem editing patches you can always go to their website and download free editing software and user submitted patches to help get the sound you're looking for. To get the right sound take a little bit of tweaking, but it's so easy for me to tweak it didn't take long and for most people I know it wouldn't for them either.

I was looking for something compact with decent priced with the basic features I needed without a bunch effects and other useless thing I didn't need to paid for. I already have a Peavey 5150 2x12 for gigging and a small Roland Cube 15 for home practice so it's not like I needed a processor for major distortion effects. It does have a USB port for computer recording which is a plus and cleanly done record too. It has a good variety of the basic effects I was looking for like chorus, an EQ (6 band by the way), digital delay, acoustic simulator, noise gate, harmonizer and a signal booster. The effect themselves sound great and more than do the job. Unlike the G2.1NU it doesn't have an expression pedal. You maybe thinking "wouldn't that be a com?". Answer for me, no. I went on Amazon dot com and saw this thing selling way cheaper than on any other site, but they had a limited quantity of them. I called up Musician's Friend and they priced matched me on the deal I found so with the difference I save I am able to get a separate expression pedal that would sturdier and much more responsive and still have a few spare dollars. Expression pedal on most low to mid grade effects unit tend to be slow, unresponsive and junk most of the time. If you use action pickup (especially EMGs) be careful using the noise gate, it can kill your sustain and your notes will die fast. I love the fact this unit didn't have a ton of unless artist preset, rarely does any effects processor ever even come close to how an artist or band ever sounds, but you can go online and download and demo a bunch of user made presets (and from my experiences they usually sound closer lol). The recording software that comes with unit is old and worthless. I couldn't even get it to activate and I went through it step by step. My buddy showed me what real recording software is so I now use Pro Tools. Cubase LE 4 is junk.

I was very surprised with the build. A metal case, solid rubber sidings and rubber mounts on the bottom for when gigging it won't slide all over the place. The bypass switches are 2 metal stick poles which since I have big feet they're easy to switch channels. I had problems in the past with other multi effects unit because they had wide plastic channel selectors which tended to be too close to each other and were easy to accidentally hit the wrong bank when going for another effect. I love the fact this unit has 3 power options which are batteries, plug in adapter or power off a USB port. This unit also has an on/off switch in the back, in the past I has unit were I had to unplug the whole unit just to turn it off which was a pain. I do like the well lit mini display, if gigging it would be easy to see in dim places.

Consider what I already have as far as amps and guitars this unit does everything I need it to do. I This is great for home practice because it can either plug into an amp, powered speakers or your computer. It had a built in drum machine to help write song, practice song and it's easy to adjust. It also has a metronome for practicing scales and picking. The the built in looper to me is useless, what good does 5 seconds of loop time do for most musicians? My only wish would be the looper have at least 15 second. The built in tuner is pretty decent, but I wouldn't rely on it for gigging, you have to hit both bypass buttons at the same time and that takes up too much time to do, any gigging musician should use a clip on tuner always and make sure it's a good one that doesn't come loose easily. I could easily gig with this because if I set up my banks ahead of time then to switch to the sounds I want would be easy. This unit is sturdy, yet very portable. If lost I'd have problems finding it because it's small lol. If stolen, I'd call the police with the serial numbers (always keep your box and serial numbers around, I had the police return something stolen once before because a pawn shop ran the serial numbers through their system), if I didn't get it back I'd get a better one like the Zoom G5 (never go back, always move forwards).

markleehunter
    I've been using this device for a couple of years now. I'm still finding new uses for it. The stompbox distortions actually sound very good when run through the effects loop of a SS amp (I have several older Peaveys). It's also great for using single effects like delay, vibrato or reverb in an effects loop, while running an OD through the amp input. BUT. I am more and more disappointed by the power management. The G2NU eats batteries, unlike the G2. I left batteries in it once with a wall wart plugged in, and ALL the batteries spewed acid on the floor and cavity. The device still works but that was unpleasant. If you use this live (I do), use a wall wart and leave batteries out.