G3 review by Zoom

Zoom: G3

Purchased from: Small town shop

I use it through a shitty Zoom Fire 18 amp, my guitar is a Schecter Damien 6 FR with passive EMG's. I am satisfied with the overall tone, but its the USB sound quality which blew me away! The edit and share software is a hands down for me. I Simply love it! The noise gates on this unit are pretty good. Generally I play bands like Lamb Of God, Meshuggah, MegaDeth, Slayer, sometimes As I Lay Dying and the other metalcore bands. And the result! I get the desired tone any time I want! The effects are okay-ish. Generally I use a Distortion pedal on 1 channel, a noise gate on the second and some reverb on the third. That's all I need actually. So this unit works best for me. Many people complain about the expression pedal. Honestly? You don't really need it until you are some pro gigger. What else can you expect out of a $200 box?

I play all types of metal, it really suits my style. The factory presets suck by the way, I would recommend that you should make your own "signature" tones... The drives are awesome, acoustic simulation OK, effects are more than OK, noise gate rocks, basically you can get Any sound. Top boost, smoking blues, over the top boost, bone crunching metal tones, and some weird effects like the "bomber". I really don't know what use is this "bomber" for! I would recommend this to: 01) Metal guitarists 02) Recording buffs 03) Live players This unit has been very poorly reviewed on Ultimate Guitar. I hope the ratings increase and this little bastard of a G3 gets some recognition. It truly deserves it.

I can really, really, really, really depend on it. Its made out of S.O.L.I.D metal body, and if it falls down, I doubt its gonna shut down permanently. It looks strong enough to handle stage abuse. I would definitely use it in a gig without a backup. Another plus point is the really long battery life! (thumbs up). If I ever, Ever lose this unit I am gonna buy this again, or buy the G5.

The best guitar effects till date for live use and tweaking patches. Zoom has lived up to it's name in the metal genre with the introduction of the new ZFX IV chip inside this little monster. The high gain sounds of this unit beats Line 6 modeling any day. Acoustic modeling isn't that great though, but I don't care. I am satisfied with my vast array of high gain sounds that this unit offers me, with the exception of the PV Drive, but who cares? Its child's play to edit the patches on this unit. Manual is helpful too. All in all, a great product for metal guitarists who perform live.

Shornifier
    Hrm...first ZOOM multi-fx pedal that raised my brow. Wonder what it sounds like...