G3 review by Zoom

Zoom: G3

Purchased from: Ebay

I run a Fender Strat with noiseless pups through this pedal directly in to headphones (when I'm at home) or a Fender Green Board Blues Jr. Sometimes I use my knock off Tele Thinline with P90s. With my noiseless pups, feedback noise is not a big problem. The gate works well with the P90s (which are noisy). There are a few effects that are not that great, but overall the effects are very nice. Not "digital sounding" at all. Running the G3 with headphones is a treat since the amp modelling is done so well on this pedal. The pedal sings through my Blues Jr though (only for about 30 mins though, since I don't have the Bias mod done yet for my amp (it (the Blues Jr, not the G3) overheats). Overall my OCD ears are very impressed with this little unit!

I play mostly CCM/rock. Depending on my mood I might play a bit of punk/metal. I've been trying to rock out "Canon Rock" and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" (Impellitteri or however you spell it) lately, but am finding my fingers have slowed down quite a bit with age. I'm 38 and have been playing on and off since high school. This pedal seriously rocks. If it were stolen I would cry because my wife probably won't let me buy any more gear over $100. I've owned quite a few analog pedals before (about 9 on a board) and a few cheaper digital multi effects too. Honestly, I can't tell too big of a difference between this and the analog board I had (although it's MUCH better than the old Zoom G2.1U and the VAMP-2 I had), I gave up on individual stomps when I got married. And I don't play much anymore so I sold all the single stomp goodness I once had. I researched quite a bit before buying this. This pedal is definitely worth the money compared to others out there.

It's made mostly of plastic, so I don't know how road worthy this pedal is, but that said, you are not kicking around all the extra connectors and wires that come with something like a pedal board. Get a nice backpack or case for this thing and it should last. It's not built like a tank, but I'm pretty sure it will hold up to the road. Just take care of it and it should last (like most things in life that you don't eat). I don't gig much anymore (used to play on Church praise teams) so I'm just using it at home and sometimes in an empty sanctuary.

Very simple to use. The patches were a bit confusing at first (since I've never used patches before) but very easy to figure out. You can have up to 6 stomp boxes (after you update the firmware to 2.0) lined up for a plethora of sounds! Simple 3 knob + pages for each effect. The looper is also very easy to use. Overall, the pedal is very intuitive to say the least. This is a well thought out pedal with tonnes of versatility. I did not even have to crack open the manual to find out how to do everything.