G3 review by Zoom

Zoom: G3

Purchased from: Gak

the three individual knobs to control each effect make it easy to adjust the parameters while on stage. Easily beating my other larger effect pedals for real world playing. I can have several banks of individual pedals for whatever style I need ready on stage. I have put my favorite effects into one bank and use this as my main gig patch. The firmware was already updated to 2.0 when I purchased the unit. Creating my own sounds and patches is a breeze. I was after a Gary Moore lead solo sound with a clean warm chorus for rhythm and volume boost pedal for lead work and I can have exactly what I want wit the Zoom G3.

A wide range of effects based on popular effect pedals like the tube screamer and boss pedals. Probably more effects than you are going to use. The sounds of the effects is clear and there is no background noise. I mainly use the drive, chorus and reverb for live use and the acoustic simulator, drums beats and octave divider for recording. Being able to plug the unit straight into my PC and record directly while monitoring with non latency issues is brilliant. I can have 6 pedals either on or off at the same time meaning I can use 3 main ones pedals and leave 3 for amp simulation, reverb and compression.

Housed in a metal case with metal foot switches I always feel the unit is solid under foot. I have used the unit for several months now and it has never let me down. Not sure if the screens will ever fail as I have heard others with this issue but mine has been faultless. The supplied power supply is a but tiny and flimsy but that doesn't mean it would break easily. Gigwise I never worry the unit will let me down. That's obviously a huge plus when your travelling away to gig and your not starting till the evening when the stores are closed.

I play most popular styles from rock, blues, rock 'n' roll, soul, pop, ballad, country and classical and the unit has every effect I could need and sounds convincing. I wanted a unit that could be used as three effect pedals of my choice that sounds great either through my amp or a p.a. and this pedal delivers. I have been gigging for over 20 years in lots of different styles of bands and this pedal could easily fit in any one of them. It's a shame that some players will just turn up the gain and play basic metal as they are missing out on some fantastic clean effects.