G3X review by Zoom

Zoom: G3X

Purchased from: JB Music

This pedal is pretty easy to use, editing of patches is simple, I did not even read the manual when I first opened it from it's box. The manual is clear and very detailed on how to utilize the full function of the unit. The three LCDs is a big factor for its usability. The effects can be shown on the displays at the same time, allowing me to edit the parameters using the control knobs and footswitches. The edit and share software is very useful too. I can edit, save share my patches with ease through my PC.

I often use this pedal with my Peavey C30 and Studio Pro, it works just fine when plug through the effects loop of the amp. The dirt pedal models are okay but not really impressive. I can dial in some decent tone with proper tweaking. The modulations are surprisingly decent, I love the multi-chorus and the 8-stage phaser. The amp simulations are quiet good too, I can get some decent crunch tones and drives with ease. I tried doing some heavy patches too using the Marshall models but kept my gain below 60 so as to minimize the fizz (high frequency noise on hi-gain amp sims). The filter effects are okay except for the wah, it's really weak. The time based effects pretty good in this unit. What is awesome here is that you can cascade delays and reverbs for some weird stuff.

The casing is quiet sturdy, it's made with aluminum, and thus can withstand live situations. The external footswitches looks tough, but my only gripe with are the flimsy tact switches and this time the sensitive LCD. To note, I owned older models of Zoom before and the same issue is still present today. I have replaced my tact switches of my G3X thrice already and last month the LCD just died during a practice session. I was just thankful it didn't give in during live plays. From that moment on I never played with it without a backup.

I play CCM and this unit has cater most, if not all, of my needs. I have been playing off and on the stage for two decades already, I've played if not owned almost all of the multi-effects unit and amp in the market today. I wish zoom could improve the durability issues, they're getting good at simulating effects, hence, reliability should not be difficult for them to address. What I love about this unit is the built-in looper, it's very useful during practice sessions. In its price range I think this unit is unbeatable.

Super BisDak
    Firmware update or reset won't fix it as it's a hardware problem. Have it checked by a qualified tech, I have mine fixed already.
    sajjad.golzari
    hello.is there anyone having a problem with the first lcd? i dont think its a hardware failure,as it shows some effect perfectly well but others are not really readable! i've upgraded firmware and did a factory reset.nothing changed.