G5 review by Zoom

Zoom: G5

Purchased from: Long And Mcquade

Currently just using my neighbor's SG and a small practice amp. Hopefully when my guitar arrives I can update this with my brand new LTD EC-401FM w/EMG's. Some of the patches have a lot of noise, however most of the noisy ones also have a gate put in the mix and works really good. I tried the tube booster because I had to and lets just say I don't think it was made for solid state amps, but it would pound on a nice stack! I was really worried about it having a crappy WAH. It doesn't, some of them are really strong when set up with good amp models and distortion and yes clean. A real bonus there. I hate to say it I liked the Zakk Wylde one but changed the Marshall style amp to a dual rectifier and changed the chorus. Awesome sound.

This is going to be used with an LTD EC-401FM w/EMG's. It will more than likely be used with a future 100w solid state 1/2 stack which will more than likely be throwing out loud and obnoxious metal riffs in a basement/garage band made up of mid 30's truck drivers lol... I have a feeling I will be keeping this for a very long time if not for as long as I play. It is built well and has a huge compliment of sounds to suite whatever may come its way through me. It also allows me to worry about only 3 things: 1) guitar 2) amp 3) 1 pedal Thanks for reading my first review. If you have any questions that maybe one of the other reviewers hasn't been able to ask, or if you have a suggestion for me let me know (if you can I dunno).

Built like a tank. This is a really well built pedal. I was surprised at how heavy it was. I had seen some YouTube vids alluding to its solidness but was pleasantly surprised at how sturdy it is. I will have no problems or concerns taking this wherever I go when I decide to get a band going. It will be nice to have one pedal do all and NOT have to worry about breaking the damn thing! It is mostly aluminum the pedal itself is a rather sturdy piece as well. It has the great sticky rubber stuff on it. The stomp buttons seam to be pretty good and haven't had a false stomp yet. They are rounded on the tops. The screens are pretty well lit and clear to read.

First let me start by saying I've wanted this pedal since it was first announced. I'm also glad that I got it. I will start with the bad first. 1) I have yet to get the recording software Cubase to record or even get sound from the pedal. This was a big selling feature for me... 2) The Zoom software is kinda cool and makes for super easy visual editing. However the whole online part is non-existent. It doesn't connect online to share with a big community. You can however import/export your patches and email them to a friend to import etc... It is however really easy to use. I haven't owned guitar gear for many yrs and just getting back into it (guitar on order review of that will come) And I was able to just fly through and get some awesome sounds right off the bat.