G5 review by Zoom

Zoom: G5

Purchased from: Singapore

I'm using a Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM as my main gear. Pickups: Pacifica 212VFM is loaded with Duncan JB(b) classic stack plus on both middle and neck. Amps: No amp but a pair of KRK Rokit 5 with audio technical M50 headphone. Tone: I love using the MS crunch, slightly overdriven, along side with tube screamer, Znr delay and reverb to get my lead tone. I feel that the tone is more realistic than my hd500. The clean tone is marvelous. My favorite artists are Joe Satriani, Jack Thammarat, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Gary Moore and John Pertrucci. Getting the tone from these mention player is achievable and without too much effort. I don't use the distortion as I always prefer Overdrive with driven amp to get the distorted tone and this G5 really done it perfectly.

I play instrumental rock and which I find this unit very suitable for me. I have been playing for 17 years and finally get an unit with a great price and sound compared to other overpriced brand. If its stolen, I would definitely buy it again with second thought. I love the tone and outlook so much. The 60 second looper and drum Machine is the ultimate plus point for those who practice alone. My greatest regret is spending too much money on other unit like the HD500, GT100 before I found this Zoom G5 which sound great and a lot more cheaper.

YouTube preview picture

Sure I can depend on this unit for what I need. On a gig I believe I can use it without a backup. This unit built like a tank but I feel it's slightly over weight. 3.8kg. It's a very well made/ built unit which cost much cheaper than other unit. For less than 300 buck, you'll get what you should have and even more than you can expect. Buying this effect really worth the money. The best buy for myself before 2012 end. This unit does not come with the USB cable but I'm fortunate that I sold my HD500 without the cable hence I could use it now with my G5.

It is a straight forward multi effect which can easily dial in a great tone with minimum time. For some, changing bank may an issue but as for myself, I placed it on my music stand and changing the bank using the knobs so its fine for me. There is 3 patch in a bank so I don't see a need in changing bank especially in one song duration. Hence, I would say the G5 is really for live situation. Editing patches is so damn simple compared to my HD500 which is a plus. My unit comes with version 1.10. Unlike Line 6, it does not have community to share and download patches. I actually compared the GT100, HD500 and G5 before buying. Below are my comparison. 1. GT100 - overprice - not much improvement as compared to GT10 - tone is average and expected - able to dial in usable tone within a breeze - High school education level needed to operate this unit 2. HD500] - Slight overpriced - Constant updates which is a plus - Lot of amp sim but few are usable - Never like the clean tone - Very steep learning curve - Time tweaking the unit is far more than I enjoy playing my guitar - Bachelor degree need for this unit 3. Zoom G5 - Great price tag - Dial in great tone easily - Nice jangling clean tone - Bank change issue - Pre school education level would be able to operate this unit

mself61
    fdstrat >? , I currently use a G9 and I also hsve a Tonelab SE, the Switching Banks issue is a concern as I try to emulate the guitar in each song (we play cover tunes) so I usually just switch to the next bank for the next song, will this stay in patch mode where it would be the same ?
    Rickondrius
    I got one of these babies, and they just simply ROCK! It's extremely versatile and really, I mean REALLY easy to use.. the amp sims sound very good, it acts like a real pedalboard, effects sound different according to how you arrange a chain (a wah would sound way too trebly if placed after any distortion/amp modeling). Haven't used it live yet though, but I will soon!