G7.1UT review by Zoom

Zoom: G7.1UT

Purchased from: ebay

I'm using a Fender fat strat and running the processor through a Fender 2x12 ultimate chorus amp. I've also used it on a friend's Marshall half stack (one of the cheaper ones). It sounds great on both. The znr (noise reduction) really makes a difference. The effects are great, however I did find the POD had better delays. Overall, I've been able to get the sounds of my favorite guitarists (Richie Sambora, Eddie Van Halen, and very good clean sounds, although that might be because of my Fender Strat) much easier than on my POD.

I play '80s, alternative, pop latin, and gospel. Been playing about 6 years. I usually play my own custom built guitar, a jaguar style with Seymour Duncan SH-2 jazz and an SH-4 JB but I tried it out with my strat for this review since it's more popular. The only thing I'd ask for with this processor is the ability to turn off the effects for each patch like I did on my PODXT. Still not sure how to use the a/b channel, maybe that can help. If it was lost or stolen, I'd buy another one. I'm never overpaying for anything again. Line 6 is a great product, but I'm more than happy with my Zoom. Even a G9 might be more than what I need. I'm extremely happy with this and would only trade it for a Mesa Boogie halfstack plus about 20 stomp boxes and have my roadies carry them for me. Until then, this is the only processor for me.

It's built solid. There's nothing loose or rattling. I've only owned it for a couple of weeks, but I am the second owner and it still looks good and sounds great. I don't see myself buying a backup since I'm your average musician that can't afford much, but if I did get a back up it would be another G7. I hope it's as durable as it is good looking and great sounding.

The only other processor I've owned is a Line 6 PODXT, so I'll be comparing it to that for the most part. I found it very easy to get the sound I wanted from this processor. The buttons may not be as straight forward as a POD, but the sound was much easier to tweak from this Zoom. Whatever complicated features I was having trouble with, the manual cleared them up real quick. After owning a PODXT for 5 years it took a little time getting used to it, but now I've even made a sound similar to Richie Sambora's "talking box" using the pedal.

shaunems
    my mate has a pod xt live and when we jam this thing is soo much smaller and he just laughs but when i start playing thats when the laughing stops.. lol i would rather get a boss gt-8 but i didnt have the money
    martian18
    have any of you guys tried the vox tonelab le? i was debating on the zoom g7 or the tonelab. you know which ones better?