G7.1UT review by Zoom

Zoom: G7.1UT

Purchased from: EBay

I am using it with a Marshall MG100DFX. There are multiple noise cancellation settings available, as opposed to the Pods one. The effects are completely changeable, you can change the hardness of a flange, the length, volume etc. This can be done to most effects, so any effect you hear could be replicated in theory if you spend enough time setting it. The effects are all great, as I said previously provided you give yourself time to know where their limitations lie. I play a variety of things, metal, punk and pop rock but mainly instrumental such as Vai, Satch, Eric Johnson, Santana and the likes. I have managed to get the tones I've been looking for, and enhance them further to make them sound even better. I especially liek the Delay and reverb possiblities: you can really soudn liek your rocking in a huge stadium from your room if you set them alright.

I play most styles and it is a bloody brilliant match. It is so versatile. I've been playing about 6 years, I've owned a Line6 POD and a Line6 Spider previously, and they just simply don't compare. Line6 are renowned for their effects, but compared to this they don't really hold much water. It's one of the best looking units of it's kinds out there, the Boss pedals have never really looked that great. it's mix of matted black and chrome really do go well with any setup. I wish before buying this product I could have known about the rest of the features you can't read about on the internet easily. There are good reviews, but not many comprehensive ones. If I'd known it was capable of this much, I would have bought it a lot earlier than I did. My favourite feature is the adjustable pedal. The ability to make that pedal tweak anything on the unit is just insane. It's liek giving me wings really! This is IDEAL for studio usage and can work well on a stage too provided you have preset the patches already because they do take a while to set up. The valve also makes for a damn great warm sound. If your umming and ah ing as to weather to get this or the Boss or the line6 POD xt Live, I would suggest this. it's not as easy as the others, but then what is 5 hours extra of learning time when you can do limitless things? If it broke however, I'd replace/repair it straight away no second thoughts about it. Nothing is missing from this unit for the price you'd pay for it. I genuinelly can't think of anything that's missing, I am tryin to be as harsh as I can but the most critical piece of criticism I can give is it is NOT good for you if you have never used effects before, and you may oversee it's capabilities and resort to calling it rubbish because of your lack of knowledge. Gear up, and get this unit today.

The unit is built incredibly firmly, nothing rattles and nothing is loose. It's built like a sh*t brickhouse, you could probably jump on this thing all week and you'd scratch it if your lucky. The only worry I have is the tube blowing, but switching the unit off when you don't use it and generally taking care of it should stop that from being an issue. I would use this in a gig without a backup. Easily. Any day.

If you are new to effects, I would not advise you to purchase this unit as it is likely to put you off learning about them. It is difficult to use, especially if you're a "plug it in and rock on" kind of person. If you are willnig to spend an hour or two to tweak, explore and learn about the unit, It's tonal limits are extroadinary. Editing patches is at first confusing, as is everythin else on this pedal. The patches are categorised into banks of 4 tones. You can Switch banks using one of the footswitches, and change between the patches using 4 other footswitches. The manual is not that difficult to understand really, youve just gotta sit and read it. I must clear up that the pedal is not only for volume, it can be set to do anything. You can make it a wah pedal, you can make it increase the reverb or delay for the drawn out solos and there aren't many limits for what you can set.