G7.1UT Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 10/31/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: G7.1UT
With Zoom's brand new 32-bit ZFX-3 chip, the G7.1ut guarantees outstanding performance, world's fastest patch changes, and smooth and detailed processing.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 9.2
 8.7
 27,759
reviews (12) pictures (3) 65 comments vote for this gear:
G7.1UT Reviewed by: shakysam, on may 30, 2006

Purchased from: Musicstreet.co.uk

Ease of Use: Basic operation (using the preset patches) is very simple and the manual makes good use of annotated diagrams to explain exactly how the console controls work. It's fairly easy to customise patches and store them, however the sheer wealth of parameters has led to me having the manual close at hand when editing patches. It loses 2 points in this section, for the steps that have to be undertaken to change the parameters in a patch (put the pedal into a certain mode, turn this, poke that etc.) which make it difficult to remember how to do it without referring to the manual. A Boss ME-50 style control system makes this look quite complex. Also, it shipped with the most recent firmware, and can be updated through a computer connection in future. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with a Crafter Constantine electric (similar in style and price to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard)and a Marshall MG100DFX amp. The size of the amp's driver (12", 100W) gives good depth to the pedal's sound, and providing your amp's speaker isn't the size of a digestive biscuit, it should do the same. There's a wealth of presets, consisting of demo, amp modelling and artist patches, all of them quiet (the ZNR noise reduction works really well) and offer clear, well voiced sound. Whilst the demo patches are of course far from perfect, the artist and amp patches really impressed me, most notably the Santana and Fender Twin simulations. All the effects are better than in the previous pedal I owned (a Zoom 606), and the valve engergiser in the pre-amp certainly makes the tone more pronounced, even if it can't quite turn your amp into a Hot Rod Deville. Recording sound is good with some patches and slightly distorted with others. For example the standard 'clean' demo patch is fuzzy and generally a bit crap to record with, the shimmer of the Fender Twin patch really comes across well when using the pedal as an audio interface. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Solid. Zoom have finally realised that no matter how much they claim that the space-age plastic they used to make their older pedals is just as tough as metal, guitarists just aren't going to feel comfortable gigging with something that isn't magnetic and weighs a ton. Metal footswitches, rubber-ended metal construction and a metal expression pedal make this a heavy, yet armoured unit. I'm docking a point for the plastic knobs which I'm sure could break if you somehow jumped on them instead of the metal patch select switches, but otherwise I would trust this pedal completely for gigging and also as an anchor for my yacht. // 9

Overall Impression: I play lots of stuff, which is why I bought this multi fx unit in the first place. It suits anything and everything I want to play and it does it better than my old 06. I've been playing for almost 3 years and in that time all the blues, punk and ska I've learned have now been given a boost by this pedal. For the price there are so many things one can do with this pedal. I use the bundled sequencer, Cubase LE, to record with and at first I suffered from latency problems, but downloading, installing then activating within the program Zoom's own ASIO driver sorted this and now I can record my own guitar tracks very easily. The recording and amp modelling are my favourite features and the fairly good value for money it represents means that I'd buy it again if it were lost or stolen. It would've got a 10 if the interface was a little simpler, the AC adaptor was as tough as the pedal itself and it shipped with a USB connection cable (I've stolen mine from the printer). It's solid, sounds better than any other multi fx I've ever used and you can get any sound out of it. Infact, I don't plug in without it (sounds cheesy but I swear it's true). // 9

G7.1UT Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 26, 2006

Ease of Use: Well, this was rather complicated at first. But after several minuites of reading the manual it became quite clear. But once you figure it out, it can do some amazing stuff. You can pretty much assign the expression pedal to anything, such as rate, depth, volume, gain, and there are tons more! // 7

Sound: Well I have a Washburn WI-66V and a Washburn BD75R I have been complimented on the tone of these be4, which was quite suprizing. Anyway, I had previously tried the Boss ME-50 and had taken it back to get this. Oh By the way, no one in their right mind should ever consider getting the ME-50 it is the worst thing on the planet. Ok well, this Zoom G7.1 is amazing. The ZNR and noisegate are the best I have ever heard, crank up ur gain and put the knob at 11 and no buzzing humming or anything. I'm quite pleased with the distortion, since there is a 6 band eq or something like that, you can get any tone you want. And the tube energizer gives it a little more body to your tone. It comes with several factory artist patches but I went straight to editing my own. Everything else seems pretty good, I like the step mod it is quite odd and excellent all at the same time! Guess what else. No patch switching lag, it is instant hammer on that pedal and you got your sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definatly depend on this, metal case, metal switches, the only downside is that it is bloody heavy and long. The old case I had won't fit this thing, a regular sized backpack hardly holds it, but it works just fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk, ska, metal, rock, and I've been playing for 12 years, if it were lost or stolen I would get another one in a second, actually I might downgrade to the G2.1 since it has pretty much the same effects, but I'm in love with that tube energizer so I guess I would stick with this. But if I had 700CAN layin around I would go for the 9.1tt cause that 3d pedal looks wicked. I love the ability to get any sound possible, the only thing I dont would have to be how long it is, but I can deal with that. I really dont have a favorite feature but I just wanna say that the Zoom Extreme Distortion is based on the old Zoom Tri-Metal pedal and that was a damn good pedal. I compared it to Boss, the plastic Zoom pedal, whatever that DigiTech is and the Korg one, this one by far wins out of all of em. The only thing I wish it had was a spot for batteries just in case u need em but this thing does come with a power cord which is really really long. Also a drum machine would have been a nice feature since the smaller versions have it but I can deal. So do urself a favor and get one of these, even if it is the smaller version u wont be dissapointed. This thing cost a little more then I wanted to spend, but after I got the bank pedals and the adaptor and the cable for thoes pedals, the Boss ME-50 was the same price and that thing was good for nothing. // 10

G7.1UT Reviewed by: KingJustinian25, on june 20, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Easy as hell to get a good sound. Just select Fender clean for clean, Marshall Drive for rock, and extreme distortion for metal and your set. Obviously it goes much more in depth. I used a Zoom 707II before this, patch editing was very easy as it was the same. The manual tells you pretty much everything. All the knobs like an amp setup are there for quick easy editing. // 10

Sound: Crate GT120 amp, and a Fender Squier Stagemaster guitar. I'm hoping to get a Wah pedal, a Schecter C-1 classic, and an Ibanez S470. Not noisy at all. Some of the effects are weak (distortions), but I think that is mainly because of my guitar. I know someone Who has better Ibanez and Jackson guitars and gets great metal sounds with this pedal.The guitar is great for 250$, and is well beyond that price but it does not have active pickups and is not $1000. I play Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, Avenged Sevenfold, and some other rock stuff. Achieves all the sounds good. I love the extreme distortion it makes my not so metal guitar sound great, and the Marshall Drive sounds just like a $1000 Marshall at guitar center. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very dependable. I do not gig at the moment but just from playing with it I would rely on it. It is made of metal, I would not use need backup. There are only a few plastic knobs, but I am not worried about those. Not a scratch on it from the few weeks I've had it. // 10

Overall Impression: Great match for any style. I play mainly all rock (classic rock, hard rock, metal, etc.) It can get all of these sounds. I've been playing for 2-3 years, semi-seriously. I would definately buy another if stolen or lost, maybe upgrade to the 9.2 if I had more money. It was either this or a POD XT Live, and I think I made a good choice. // 10

G7.1UT Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 05, 2008

Ease of Use: At the begining, it can be hard for some people to use this unit, because of the amount of knobs and functions. But within a few days you'll start to figure it out. When you figure out how to use it properly (the manual really helps), those great sounds of this unit will burst right through your hands. // 7

Sound: The sound of this unit is amazing: some of the amp/stomp box models are very real-sounding, and FX are superb, and you have a variety of effects to choose from: 3 compressor models, 3 types of chorus, about 5-6 delay types etc. The two channels function is also very use full: you can have a rhythm and a lead sound, within the same patch, or clean and Drive within the same patch, and it's even better with the 80 user-editable presets and 80 factory presets. I play various music styles, from blusy stuff like SRV, Led Zeppelin and Santana and up to metalcore and Death Metal, and with this unit I get all the sound I need to play all this music styles. I love the Mesa Boogie dual rectifier models, it has the ultimate lead sound. But this effect lacks power when it comes to palm muting, and when the gain is at 90-100 it becomes fuzzy (this effect have too much bass, in my opinion). I play with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus through a Fender Frontman 25R, and it still sounds amazing (even though this amp is not so good), and the effect can actually make it sound like a tube amp. Another cool feature is the tube: a 12AX7 tube is built in the effect, and gets those famous tube characteristics out. That's what makes the difference and what makes it better than Boss GT stuff or the Korg AG3000. You can actually get a natural tube Overdrive without using any Overdrive simulator: just get both tube and BOOST knobs all the way up and here you go: natural tube Overdrive. It also has a MIDI and USB interface, which you can use along with the Cubase LE software you get with it for home recording or even studio recording. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This unit is a monster: it's made of heavy duty metal, almost all the knobs are metal knobs, all the jacks are built great. I will definitly use this one without any backup, and if unfortunatly this my unit will brake up, I'll buy another one or the better one (Zoom G9\.2tt) for sure. // 10

Overall Impression: I guess I've said everything you need to know. The unit has amazing sounds, some of the best effects and amp/stomp box modeling I've ever heared in multi-effects, it's very versitile and fits many musical demands. It's also the only multi-effect unit I know that has a built-in tube circutry (12AX7 vacuum tube). It's made of metal, so it's very durable and strong. So, are you still here? Go get yourself one, or if you got the cash, get yourself it's big brother (the Zoom G9\.2tt), which is even better than this one. // 9

G7.1UT Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The only other processor I've owned is a Line 6 PODXT, so I'll be comparing it to that for the most part. I found it very easy to get the sound I wanted from this processor. The buttons may not be as straight forward as a POD, but the sound was much easier to tweak from this Zoom. Whatever complicated features I was having trouble with, the manual cleared them up real quick. After owning a PODXT for 5 years it took a little time getting used to it, but now I've even made a sound similar to Richie Sambora's "talking box" using the pedal. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Fender fat strat and running the processor through a Fender 2x12 ultimate chorus amp. I've also used it on a friend's Marshall half stack (one of the cheaper ones). It sounds great on both. The znr (noise reduction) really makes a difference. The effects are great, however I did find the POD had better delays. Overall, I've been able to get the sounds of my favorite guitarists (Richie Sambora, Eddie Van Halen, and very good clean sounds, although that might be because of my Fender Strat) much easier than on my POD. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's built solid. There's nothing loose or rattling. I've only owned it for a couple of weeks, but I am the second owner and it still looks good and sounds great. I don't see myself buying a backup since I'm your average musician that can't afford much, but if I did get a back up it would be another G7. I hope it's as durable as it is good looking and great sounding. // 9

Overall Impression: I play '80s, alternative, pop latin, and gospel. Been playing about 6 years. I usually play my own custom built guitar, a jaguar style with Seymour Duncan SH-2 jazz and an SH-4 JB but I tried it out with my strat for this review since it's more popular. The only thing I'd ask for with this processor is the ability to turn off the effects for each patch like I did on my PODXT. Still not sure how to use the a/b channel, maybe that can help. If it was lost or stolen, I'd buy another one. I'm never overpaying for anything again. Line 6 is a great product, but I'm more than happy with my Zoom. Even a G9 might be more than what I need. I'm extremely happy with this and would only trade it for a Mesa Boogie halfstack plus about 20 stomp boxes and have my roadies carry them for me. Until then, this is the only processor for me. // 9

G7.1UT Reviewed by: jimmyled, on april 18, 2008

Purchased from: Klei Zemer

Ease of Use: It is fairly easy to get a good sound out of the built in patches, though some of the patches are crappy. There are 40 different built in effects and 160 patches (only 80 are open for editing). Although it takes some time to edit patches properly, it's easy if you read and understand the manual. There are 55 effects, 36 amp simulations and distortions, an equalizer, cabinet options and a function button, 1 of each can be used at a time. In order to edit a patch, you press it's number (1, 2, 3, 4-u, u, A, b) press the effect type button (comp, wah/efx1, znr, pre-amp (it's also the distortion button), EQ, cabinet, mod/efx2, delay, reverb, total/function) so it's Orange and change it. in order to remove an effect, press the button until it's green. When you're done editing, press the store/swap button twice. The manual is pretty good and helps a lot, but it's hard to understand it. The manual comes in several languages, including English, Spanish, Japanese and Italian. // 8

Sound: Personally I'm using my G7.1UT with an Epiphone SG (yeah) and an Ibanez 15w amp. There's a problem with my amp because it distorts the sounds a little [and the distortion button is off! ] I know it's my amp because I checked it with other amps. Some effects are noisy, but if it gets too noisy there's a ZNR setting that filters some of the noise. This multi is very big. There's such a big variety of effects in it that you can get the sound of almost any band there is (my favourite is Led Zeppelin). There are, though, a few effects that should never be put together. I haven't found all of them, but never use the RAT distortion with the PedalVox wah. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This Multi-effect is reliable, but you should check it with a variety of amps (and guitars) before using it on a gig, as sound varies. For instance, I once went to a rehearsal with it, and the effect that sounded great on my sucky amp sounded too dirty on the amp there. // 9

Overall Impression: I usually play rock/hard-rock (Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix etc. and a few of my songs) or metal (Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Iron Maiden and a little Megadeth). I think it sounds pretty good with the Multi. I've been playing for about two years now, and I have an Epiphone SG, an Ibanez amp and the Zoom G7.1UT, which goes together (except my amp, I think it's aliitle burnt). If it was stolen I'm pretty sure I'd buy it again (and a new amp), except I don't have the money. I think what I really like about it is that it's fun, but I don't like it's hardness of use (it took me two weeks to figure it out). // 10

G7.1UT Reviewed by: chrismorris, on january 15, 2009

Purchased from: EBay

Ease of Use: If you are new to effects, I would not advise you to purchase this unit as it is likely to put you off learning about them. It is difficult to use, especially if you're a "plug it in and rock on" kind of person. If you are willnig to spend an hour or two to tweak, explore and learn about the unit, It's tonal limits are extroadinary. Editing patches is at first confusing, as is everythin else on this pedal. The patches are categorised into banks of 4 tones. You can Switch banks using one of the footswitches, and change between the patches using 4 other footswitches. The manual is not that difficult to understand really, youve just gotta sit and read it. I must clear up that the pedal is not only for volume, it can be set to do anything. You can make it a wah pedal, you can make it increase the reverb or delay for the drawn out solos and there aren't many limits for what you can set. // 8

Sound: I am using it with a Marshall MG100DFX. There are multiple noise cancellation settings available, as opposed to the Pods one. The effects are completely changeable, you can change the hardness of a flange, the length, volume etc. This can be done to most effects, so any effect you hear could be replicated in theory if you spend enough time setting it. The effects are all great, as I said previously provided you give yourself time to know where their limitations lie. I play a variety of things, metal, punk and pop rock but mainly instrumental such as Vai, Satch, Eric Johnson, Santana and the likes. I have managed to get the tones I've been looking for, and enhance them further to make them sound even better. I especially liek the Delay and reverb possiblities: you can really soudn liek your rocking in a huge stadium from your room if you set them alright. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The unit is built incredibly firmly, nothing rattles and nothing is loose. It's built like a sh*t brickhouse, you could probably jump on this thing all week and you'd scratch it if your lucky. The only worry I have is the tube blowing, but switching the unit off when you don't use it and generally taking care of it should stop that from being an issue. I would use this in a gig without a backup. Easily. Any day. // 10

Overall Impression: I play most styles and it is a bloody brilliant match. It is so versatile. I've been playing about 6 years, I've owned a Line6 POD and a Line6 Spider previously, and they just simply don't compare. Line6 are renowned for their effects, but compared to this they don't really hold much water. It's one of the best looking units of it's kinds out there, the Boss pedals have never really looked that great. it's mix of matted black and chrome really do go well with any setup. I wish before buying this product I could have known about the rest of the features you can't read about on the internet easily. There are good reviews, but not many comprehensive ones. If I'd known it was capable of this much, I would have bought it a lot earlier than I did. My favourite feature is the adjustable pedal. The ability to make that pedal tweak anything on the unit is just insane. It's liek giving me wings really! This is IDEAL for studio usage and can work well on a stage too provided you have preset the patches already because they do take a while to set up. The valve also makes for a damn great warm sound. If your umming and ah ing as to weather to get this or the Boss or the line6 POD xt Live, I would suggest this. it's not as easy as the others, but then what is 5 hours extra of learning time when you can do limitless things? If it broke however, I'd replace/repair it straight away no second thoughts about it. Nothing is missing from this unit for the price you'd pay for it. I genuinelly can't think of anything that's missing, I am tryin to be as harsh as I can but the most critical piece of criticism I can give is it is NOT good for you if you have never used effects before, and you may oversee it's capabilities and resort to calling it rubbish because of your lack of knowledge. Gear up, and get this unit today. // 10

G7.1UT Reviewed by: leviticus_22953, on february 10, 2009

Purchased from: JB Music

Ease of Use: The Zoom G7\.1UT is one of Zoom's flagship multi-effects processors. First of all, this multi-effects pedal is very easy to use. as I tried it in the store, I did not use the manual that much, although manual is really helpful when it comes to editing/creating a patch. The preset sounds are useful enough for me, but I think some of the patches are overly done with reverbs and delays. Editing patches is very easy, especially when you read the manual. The unit I have has a firmware version 1.06, which I believe is the latest version. you can also plug this unit into a USB port for recording. // 9

Sound: My set-up consists of a Marshall MG50DFX, which I use for practice, an Ibanez RG321MH, my main guitar, a PRS SE Standard and a homemade power amplifier. it sounds good when I plug it in the front input of the amp, and with the output level at -4dbm. There is very little noise produced by this unit. the ZNR does the job of minimizing the noise of some patches. most of the effects do not sound too digital as some might say. personally, I love using the delays and chorus of this unit, especially the stereo chorus. some patches and effect types have less volume than others. this can be compensated by raising the output level of the patch and the volume parameter of the preamp. I can get some Slash, Angus Young and David Gilmour tones from it. I also make my own patch for my own songs. By far, the best preamp models that I like would be the Twin Reverb5150, JCM 800, Mark III and the Klon Centaur models. the 12AX7 tube in it gives the preamps more crunch and bite. for the modulations and other effects, the best for me would be the delays, stereo chorus, Vox wah and the reverbs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is housed in a metal chassis. it's pretty rugged and sturdy. I've used it many times in studios, gigs and practices and it holds up really well. I can depend on this unit for every show and practice that I do. I've used this so many times on gigs and I can say that I do not need a backup effects unit. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of music. I go from jazz to blues to metal. I needed a versatile multi-effects and I've found it. I've been playing for 4-5 years now and it's my first multi-effects pedal. I have no regreats when I purchased this pedal. it fits my needs perfectly. I love effects and the sturdy chassis. my favorite feature would be the USB connection for recording. the only thing I hate about the product is it's weight, but that's what you get with a metal housing. I compared this to a DigiTech RP500, a Korg AX3000G, Korg AX5G and a Zoom G2.1u. in the end I was thinking either the G7\.1UT or the RP500. I went for the Zoom because of the fast patch change and very good preamp and effect emulations. I only wish it had a button for turning the reverb off. if it were stolen or lost, I would either look for it or buy another one. if only I had the money, I'd go for a Boss GT10 or a TC Electronics Nova System or G System. Overall, I did not regret my purchase and I am very much pleased with this unit. // 10

G7.1UT Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. I read the manual before operating once and that was enough for me. The LCD display is well designed and tells you the type of effect selected. While editing patches, the amp select knob is very handy and it is very easy to edit or make new effects from the scratch. // 10

Sound: I use Ibanez RG370DX with Line-6 Spider III. I read some reviews saying that the distortion is very digital and I was about to believe it but I adjusted gain, level; and equalizer on G7.1UT and my amp respectively and it sounds great. G7.1UT does justice to the H-S-H configuration for my guitar. I play metallica, nirvana, iron maiden, megadeth and pinkfloyd. Diezel amp setting is cool for metallica but most presets in the pedal are more of demos and I always modify the presets to get the sound I want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use it without any backup. This pedal is robust. The feature I like the most is A/B channel selection. Very hand when you play songs with multiple effects like fade to black, nothing else matters or dream of mirrors. For recording purposes, CuBase software is provided and I used it 2-3 times but can be a little confusing for me. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal was gifted to me. I would not have bought it because I believed it is jus more bells and whistles which I don't need but I was wrong, after using it I changed my mind and if I lose it, I'd buy it again. I compared it to Boss ME-70 and although Boss has better presets it is not very user friendly. When you wana play with a particular effect in mind, you jus wana make that effect in a jiffy rather than spending time on creating that effect and G7.1UT allows me to do that. // 10

G7.1UT Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2010

Purchased from: Crisp Deals

Ease of Use: Overall setup is easy. It isnt hard to get a good usable sound out of this. The interface is a bit different if you haven't used Zoom stuff before but doesn't take all that long to get used to even if you haven't. Keep the manual within reach for the first day just in case but I have fair you could figure it out. Very easy to get a good sound out of. I'll give it a 7 because a noob to the modeling world will probably struggle a little with it at first. // 7

Sound: This thing is amazing sounding. I use this with a Washburn Vidicator with Egnater pickups through 2 150w PA speakers and it sounds insane. I generally use hi gain amp models and I really like the Deizel, Dual Rectifier, 5150 and Z Stack sounds. The Acoustic sim is pretty sweet. You have more control over positioning with the cabinet sim mics, I always wanted that with the Line 6 stuff. Compressors are key with your hi gain sounds. The air effect can help put that icing on the cake as well. ZNR noise gate is the only noise gate you will ever need. I use mine at full threshold on a couple patches and it still sustains for days without affecting the natural sound. The stomp distortions are kinda meh because you can't use them with whatever amp you want. Wahs missing a little something but still usable. Patch switching time is lightning fast and no audio gap. USB interfacing works great. Sonically impressive. Massive amounts of depth I've just never had with other modeling units. Tube distortion sounds are much more authentic and the effects as a whole sound better and are more usable than other modelers. I give it a 9, would have been a 10 if I could use whatever distortion pedal with whatever preamp model I wanted though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Full metal chassis means built like a freaking tank. I've heard of older versions having faulty foot switches after a while, but I have heard this is no longer an issue with the more recently built models. Eventually you'll have to replace the tube and when that day finally comes that is very easy to do yourself. I have never had a problem with any Zoom product ever. Therefore I give them a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: I like a little everything for music, but my roots are in metal, but if you can't get a sound you like out of this for any type of music you have unreal expectations of tone. You will never get your guitar sound to sound just like the guy on your favorite cd. That is layered and processed to beat hell these days thus pretty much impossible to get with a single guitar signal. Now, when you start to turn this puppy up and jam loud, its got your back for that. When you need to plug in at 4am and record an idea before it slips away without waking anybody up, its got you there too. Once you start layering up your tracks and have all your mastering done, you will be amazed what your end product sounds like. I've tried a countless list of modelers in my day (this is my 8th one now) from DigiTech to Boss to Line 6 and Zoom is by far the best quality for the money. This is less than half the cost of the X3Live, true you are missing a few options still, but after owning both I would stronly urge you to get this one if your debating between the two. I find myself actually playing a lot more than tweaking my tone with Zoom stuff. I think 9 sounds like a good overall average, theres a few things I would change (I really wish it had XLR outputs, the distortion pedal to amp issue, simple changes to how the wahs are incorportated but other than that it is the last multi you should ever need to buy. // 9

G7.1UT Reviewed by: bananu7, on june 16, 2011

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: Polish auction service (used)

Ease of Use: How easy is it to get a good sound out of it? Certainly needs some tweaking. The built-in presets can be used for some sort of reference, but they aren't actually that good. Or maybe they are, but I'm mainly using the console with flat-response, medium-sized speakers, and I had to modify some of the settings. How about Editing patches? The one I got was a bit old, however, still working fine. Some of these small buttons require a bit more pressure to work, and these are the things that wear out first. The librarian software made it easier, and you can set patches on PC on-the-fly, while playing. This feature made it comparable to devices costing 2-4x more. The only flaw is that it requires MIDI connection (which resolves to 10$ midi-usb cable and another usb slot occupied. Not that bad. Manual is really great. I didn't get the printed one with the device, so I just downloaded it from the Zoom page. It explains everything very clearly, I think the most valuable parts of it are the tone tips related to the built-in effects. I also downloaded the newest firmware (1.06). Updating took a few seconds. I did it just as I got my hands on it, so I can't really compare the older versions, but from what I read on Zoom website, it fixed a tuner and some minor bugs. I switched from DigiTech RP70, and and first I had to get used to it, but then editing was very easy. The hardest part I believe was that 3rd and 4th digital knob are used to control specific parts of EQ, and they are on the left side. (see the photo for reference). // 8

Sound: Guitars plugged to in involved rather cheaper models, I didn't have the chance to plug something better yet. Still, it always sounded great. I used Ibanez ART 120 and Cort X2 (look for their reviews for reference). I played it through my no-name 80W amp, Ibanez 150W-2x12 combo (pretty old, so I can't give exact model), medium size multimedia speakers and large home theatre system. Everytime it was just like... Wow! It isn't noisy at all (which is particularly connected to pickups in my guitar - Ib's are really quiet). Even on the most hardcore settings I didn't have to use any noise reduction system. It is equipped however with 3-module noise reduction system, so owner of some Stratocaster might use it, and I'm sure it will be able to cope with the noise. The effects... First of all, there are just so many of them! Of course, see the manufacturer page, but for the things that catched my attention: you can use two separate delays at the same time, reverse delay is really cool. Wah-wahs are pretty good, but I can't play them that well to actually be able to tell anything about them. I can certainly say that the wahs and pitch effects sound at least comparable to these of Boss multieffects (tested ME-70), leaving DigiTech (RP500, RP70) far behind. I'd also like to note, that the built-in harmonizer is very good, at least for me. I must start the new paragraph to talk about distortions. They're just amazing! Before I bought it, I visited many shops and played lots of different effects through lot of different amps. The one I was closest to buying was the Line6 HD300 - I played it throught Bogner tube combo, and it sounded amazing. However, I believe that if you plug the G7 into some decent amp, it can still compete with it and in some cases win - but look, how much older gear it is! It's certainly starting to get Vintage status. My main preset is built around Mesa Boogie Mark IIIamp, which is my amp of dreams. I didn't have the chance to play the amp itself, but the simulated one gives as wide spectrum of sounds as I would expect from the original. The amps really differ from each other, giving you great possibilities. Fender is bright, Peavey crispy - just as they should be. The cabinet simulation is very important for me, since as I said, I mostly play at home, connected to the normal speakers. It makes the sound really sound like it should, allowing me to play along with my favourite songs, don't feeling that my sound is worse - it is just different, but mine. That's the sound it gives me, however, the variety of effects enables you to mimic nearly any sound you hear on CD. Last but not least - The Energizer. Opinions vary, from very overrated to very underrated. I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. It certainly won't sound alone as a tube amp and a huge stack, if you don't plug it to one. Period. However, the Boost function is really useful to getting the sound more to the front, and driving my speakers to their limits. As for the Tube control, I use it on my Overdrive presets, and sometimes it's very helpful for finding the sound I need. I strongly believe, that if you want 100% of this board live, you must plug it into nice tube amp. As for recording, you won't be able to tell the difference. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As I said, mine is the used one - with a lot of scratches, however all the main components remain intact. The metal buttons still work very well, same for knobs. The only thing that is a bit damaged are these small buttons, as I said earlier. They just need some more force to work, but still work. I believe this thing can rock for the next few years with me, as it did with the previous owner. I'd take it without backup, simply because I don't have enough money to buy another one. Still, even if I had the money, I'd probably buy more cables, but not another G7. It's build like a tank - all from metal (just look at the screen protection - not only looks, cool, I believe you could stand on it!). The pedal is veery big, and can withstand the whatever pressure you put on it (note - you must literally stand on it to toggle the Wah Switch under the pedal, but I've noticed that's the case with most effects I used. I'm very thin person. // 9

Overall Impression: I play lots of genres on gigs, and fits every of them perfectly. Whatever do you play, you will be able to with this baby. I've been playing for 1,5 year now, and for the price I paid for it (half the market price), it's more than enough. I'm sort of gear geek, and like to turn all these knobs. The G7 enables me to experiment with the gear I won't be able to buy in next 10 years, certainly helping me develop. I wish I'd asked about the programming via usb - I was pretty sure I can do it, however, as I said earlier, cheap midi cable solves all the problems. If it was stolen, I'd probably buy G9.2 - for the two separate pedals, however, if I only had that much cash as I had, I wouldn't hesitate. G9 is a bit long. I love how it look in the darkness or on stage - all the mates from different bands just came to watch all these shiny lights, and ask something about it. I hate the low-mid and harmonics knobs moved far to the left, I understand the purpose however - only way to squeeze 6-band eq, so I forgive it. It also could have the G9 effects loop, which certainly helps to extend your possibilities. I don't have any other pedals yet, so now it's not the problem. Still, great, sturdy gear for the price. If you want to be distinguished from all these Line6 and DigiTech users - go for it. Certainly everyone will be curious about it, it's the gear that gives your tools some personality. (Why not 10? Someday I will buy rack processor, so I'm saving this point for it;)) // 9

G7.1UT Reviewed by: brazzy2000, on october 31, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: True it takes time to sort out your patches, but it's time well spent, and you won't be upset when the tone is sounding great. To be fair, you'll spend the same amount of time with an array of pedals. Please don't take this review as a pedal bashing though, I'm a fan of pedals, but on a budget, the zoom wins hands down! The patch editing is good, is meant to resemble an amp, the chart is really clear on what sounds to expect, all can be edited from the EQ. Make sure you get a manual with it, otherwise you'll be lost, you can download a PDF, but the manual is much easier to get on with. // 9

Sound: I play through a Les Paul and Tele, using a Peavey Valveking 212. Play mostly rock/blues etc. The zoom, works really as a multi Fx console, if I'm honest I've turned off the preamp setting because I prefer the Valveking's tones. But the Zoom's fx are great, I've set it up with different effects for clean/dirty/lead playing, and that's where it's sounding great. I've dropped 2 points here, for the preamps in the unit, if I was playing through a PA or recording, they would most likely sound great. But with a valve amp, they sound weak. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's built like tank! The foot switches and expression pedal are tough! Plastic knobs may come under a beating during gigs, but they are positioned far enough away from the switches, that they may just avoid a misplaced foot during your gig. Weight inspires confidence during playing, previous plastic pedals feel like they would fly around the floor if kicked accidentally. Kick this bad boy, and you might just break a toe! It's definitely a reliable tool for gigging, with this on the floor, you'll stomp with the confidence that the pedal will remain under your feet all the time. // 9

Overall Impression: Apart from the preamps, the console is awesome! I love the energiser function that allows for fine tuning the signal output and the guitar tone to help it stand out from the band, I would definitely recommend this for gigging, practicing and recording. It's very versatile with all the effects available, the durability makes gigging that bit easier and gives you one less thing to worry about during playing. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another, mainly for the fact that I get all the effects I need for a show without the expense of a mass of pedals. Well done Zoom guys! // 9

Comments