G9.2tt review by Zoom

Zoom: G9.2tt

Purchased from: A Music Store in the Philippines

I'm using my Jackson Soloist clone (RJ Shredmaster) with it using various amps. Using the ZNR function of Zoom, it cancels out noise when I'm not playing. But usually, the unit does not produce unit unless you use a very high gain setting, especially when using "Extreme Distortion" Drive effect with full gain. Generally, the sound is great, but not that full-sounding. I suggest to use very good amps to get professional sounds out of the G9.2tt. I don't know why, but Zoom's Wah effects' maximum settings are always just half-open. You can never get a fully opened wah. Is is because of legal implications? So, Wah effect is pretty weak, but that is compensated with the other Drive effect types. I'm a compressor-type of player, so G9's variety of compressors was a plus for me. Too bad I can't control the Compressor settings using the pedals. I play a lot of music genre including metal, rock, pop, blues, power ballads, etc., so the variety of effects was a major factor for me before buying this unit. I love the acoustic-simulator effect because I don't have to Switch from an electric guitar to an Acoustic one when playing live. I also like how G9.2tt uses different algorithms when using it when recording and live. The cabinet simulator is really helpful if you simply want to connect to a PA, makes the sound sounds like it's coming from an amplifier. Creating your own sound is a bit complicated at first. But once you get the hang of it, it is so flexible and allows you to make fine customizations to your sound.

I think the Zoom G9.2tt is well-suited for any style of music. I have been playing for more than a decade now, and I should say, G9 was on the top of my wishlist when it first came out. It was on a league of its own. The features were overflowing with its price next to dirt-cheap (well at least compared to its competitors at the time of its release). It has a very high value in comparison with its price. If ever it will be stolen or lost, I'll definitely buy it again, provided that Zoom will not be releasing any multi-effects pedal better than the G9.2tt.

It's tough. I've been carrying it around for gigs for one whole year, and it never let me down before. I have stored it in a high-temperature room, hand-carried it while riding crowded public-transportation and even dropped it accidentally (only a few inches high though), and it's still working up until now. Oh yeah, today is exactly one year since I've bought my Zoom G9.2tt. My only worry is how long before the twin tubes will eventually "die". I can only imagine myself looking for tube replacement part for my G9. Regarding the tubes, they are exposed, so I'm not sure what will happen to the unit if they get wet (through water droplets when playing live on an open stage or maybe sweat drops while playing). I think I can use it on a gig without a backup, but all the time, I have my Zoom G1X as a backup in case things don't go well.

Compared to other multi-effects pedal, it has a lot of dials and buttons (and foot pedals), so customizing the sound won't be that easy for beginners. It's like using a portable rack-mounted effect, it takes time to mold to your preferred sound, but with a very deep and intuitive customization. But if you have prior experience with other Zoom products, learning to create your own sound would be a much easier. The preset factory patches are good but not that great sounding as you would expect from other high-end brands. Editing the patches would be much easier if you connect the G9 to a PC using a MIDI cable and installing G9Ed, the G9.2tt Patch Library, as it comes with a visual interface on the PC rather than using the small built-in LCD of the G9. The user manual is very detailed, with a separate leaflet for the Drive effect types reference. I purchased mine with the current firmware version. Upgrading the unit uses the MIDI interface, not USB.

nilh
    Replay to El Cumans: yes, the knobs and buttons tend to broke very easily. I bought this pedal 2 years ago, and in this period a total of 8 knobs have broken down, and I've repaired it 3 times. Now I have a new one, I mean, I went to the shop and I explained my problem, and they gave me A NEW ONE, AND IT STILL FAILS!!! I've had it for a month and right now the first knob is begining to fail, so now I'm changing to Line6 X3 live. It's my personal experience, but I've had 2 of them and I've had problems with both!
    Astarael-
    This thing has a really wide range of sounds. That being said, I personally think that a ton of the sounds you can get out of this are aweful, so it does take some tweaking to get a good sound. HOWEVER, I much prefer this to units that don't give you as much control, and once you get that sound it can be really amazing. Even straight to a PA, or direct to a computer, you can get some really high quality sounds. Had mine for over a year, and its still going fine. One con, I agree its kinda hard to get a really clean sound out of it when you have the gain controls for the tubes set for a heavy distotion part, but other than that excellent pedal.
    zakarai
    It seems that Zoom pedals are quite under rated but this thing looks like a beast. I have a zoom G1 atm and it already pwns. So imagine using this :o