G9.2tt review by Zoom

Zoom: G9.2tt

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: ellaways

Ok I'm a metal player Pantera BLS Slipknot Metallica you get the idea so my set up is from guitar to amp -a ebony Gibson SG standerd fitted with Zakk Wyldes EMGs 81/85 active pickups > dimebags Dunlop crybaby from hell > Zoom g92tt > DigiTech JamMan stereo > Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 Head and quadbox.I gotta say that I didn't like the Wah effects on the Zoom its just nowhere like the tone I get from the crybaby which I will review at some stage.I have my Zoom set up as individual stompboxes rather than patches but you can store any other stompbox or effects pedal you may have like my Dunlop as part as your customized patch pretty kool hey.Before I purchased this I was looking at the Boss GT8 and the Line 6 Pod which had kool features to but 2 tubes came with the Zoom which is the biggest selling point to me and anyone who has gone from solidstate transistor amp to an all tube monster will know what I mean.The manufactorer claims that the stompboxes that they emulate are the most acurate on any multi effects and I belive it to be true with the distortion and Overdrive but like I said didn't think much of the Wah sound.As I have a Marshall I found their Marshall amp model sounded true oh yes it also has a host of amp models to.Like I said I play metal and I get all those sounds from the artists listed above so I can get filthy dirty sounds especially when I have my amp on dirty channels but also sweet crisp clean sounds and good old fashion Vintage sound ala AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.The lows have ball shaking bottom end and highs squeal just like Zakk and Dimebags do but I do experiment with my music and get some good bluesy jazz surfrock you name theres a sound you can get for any playing style.I would give this section a perfect 10 if the Wah was better but don't let that put you off as that could just be my personal taste remember always try before you buy.

As I said I play metal so any othermetal players out there this should be on your to get wishlist.This does not have any built in drum or rhythm Machine as this is a dedicated effects pedal. I found the ones I tried prior to purchasing this one that had drum machines lacked big time on sound and tone which is why I have the JamMan but thats a future review. Also it does has a very good noise gate that is an amazing feature that you can turn off and on so if you have noisey high output passive pickups you wont loose any sound quality or dynamics.You may be thinking that I got this over the other models cause of the price think again they were all on sale and all simular price at that time give or take 50 bucks I love all the acurate amp and effect modellibg not to keen on the Wah or the 3D expression pedal( didnt feel a big need for that feature)but hey thats just me. Now you've read my review get off your ass get to your local muso shop and check it out for yourself. Always ALWAYS try before you buy and try others get the sales men to show you how it works its what they are payed for dont just read online reviews and make your decision off that alone this is a serious piece of gear which should last you your playing career dont settle for something cause its cheaper or looks better. My overall rating is a nine it would be a perfect 10 but I believe that nothings perfect.

It is built like a tank however seeing how it is equiped with two valves I take special care of it. I have had this about a year and a half now and I'm sure this thing will outlive me, will gig without a backup pretty confidently and as long as you are using reasonly desent leads wont have any dramas. If it was lost or stolen will not hesitate to replace. I payed $600 australian for this however it does rrp for $1000 but the boys at ellaways gave me a wicked deal on it as part of a end of financial year sale but would replace at full value if had to. The casing is all metal the knobs and foot switches are all metal and sturdy, has rubber feet so wont slip on beer soaked pub stages. Very well put together and designed for ease of use.

This is a serious piece of gear and it definatly looks it.I tried it out in store before purchasing with the help of the store guys so when I got it home I had a good idea how to get started. The manual has a quick start section that will at least get you scrolling through the factory presets and you will find a host of sounds that will suit anyones playing style. After about a week of experimenting with these I read my manual cover to cover and started to tweek my own sounds which seems quite daunting at first givin all the knobs and buttons but really is easy to do once you get into it.The manual is pretty full on but easy to understand even for a beginner you can also download thw manual pdf on the Zoom website which is good when researching new gear. One thing I can't get my head round is the cubase software it came with there is a brief and I mean brief little pamphlet about how to get started but I really haven't bothered with. All in all outta the box you will get awesome sounds with the factory presets but you are cheating yourself if you don't tweek and come up with your own signature tones it is easy once you understand how.

oldkoolairbrush
    Does anyone know if this unit has an analog chorus in the FX? I see on the list it has analog delay but I want analog chorus for the self-oscillating ufo sound FX.
    nico42
    A friend of mine has been using the G9.2tt for some years now...quick capsule review: This thing sounds absolutely awful, believe me. It may have some crazy effects (every multi has them), but it's virtually impossible to get a good rhythm-sound out of it. Apart from that it's built horribly bad and will start falling apart after some months of use. Buy some other multi (Line6, Vox, Boss...doesn't matter) and you are guaranteed to get a better unit.