G9.2tt review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Zoom: G9.2tt

Purchased from: Craigslist in 2015

I didn't find it that hard to finds goods sounds. Editing is tedious, but once you get it, your good. The main issue is if the buttons don't work, you're stuck, and I found this to be unacceptable. The manual takes several readings, but is OK since there is so much there. The Zoom website has all the latest drivers and what not. I tried to use the midi to program some patches, but it didn't always work (stay connected). But you can't get this good of delays for this used price of $150. If someone learns how to repair switches and keep the thing functional, the aftermarket on this will be solid for years since the sounds and 4 cable setup are excellent.

Indie, shoegaze, dream pop, psychedelic, punk. I use it into a cheap but nice clean Chinese Kustom V100 with new tubes and Celestion Vintage 30s. I have single coils and the ZNR works well. I have just started to use 4 cable whereas I used to just go into the guitar input on my amp. It can do direct injection to the PA, but stage mix/volume is a big problem for the venues we play, so I use the with the Zoom and no speaker compensation. The EQ on the thing is amazing, if a little hard to get used to.

The buttons seem to go on these Zooms. I cannot get the a/b amp to switch anymore and this is a kick ass feature. I can't get the function switches to program at all. Only one pedal program button works and I have to use the dial to program what all the controller pedals do - which are the main reason you buy this. The 2D controller pedal and the other volume pedal can also be programmed. To play live though you need a stool to run both controller pedals. The tubes are cheap Chinese and should be replaced, but it is difficult to pop open the unit and navigate all the screws and PCB to replace them (there is a YouTube video on this). I'm still using, but I need to pop it open and see which switches I need to replace. The problem with MFX units in general is there are several things that can go awry and if any one thing does, it greatly compromises the whole setup. If you have one discrete pedal fail, you can just replace that unit, but the price up front is quite a bit more than a used MFX like this.

The reason I bought it is the capability to stack 3 delays and reverb for ambient sounds. The LFO sounds (chorus, flange, phaser) are all top notch. The 32 bit quality is impressive. The stompbox and modeling are ok, but ideally you want to do the 4 cable send/return thing with your amp and the zoom so that you get the right sequence of digital model stompbox, your amp tube preamp, then the effects, then the power amp. I had a lot of fun recreating a janglebox for my Ricky using the boost and compression. Add the delays/reverbs and the chime is amazing. I have had several people comment on how many sounds I can get out of this. There are several novelty sounds, like step and ring modulation and special combinations so that you can really wank the controller pedals for some trippy sounds. There's no reason you can't put extra distortion pedals in front of this, or a whammy or a looper pedal on the back end.