G9.2tt Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 06/17/2016 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: G9.2tt
Going beyond the conventional standards of multi-effects pedals, Zoom is introducing the new Zoom G9.2tt guitar effects console with 3-D Z-Pedal, which provides high-quality effects, recording options, and expanded control from the studio to the stage.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 8.8
 8.5
 24,691
reviews (13) pictures (2) 36 comments vote for this gear:
G9.2tt Reviewed by: PaulyVengeance, on february 01, 2010

Purchased from: Roadhouse Music

Ease of Use: The Zoom G9\.2tt is one of the more difficult effects pedals to 'properly' get your head around...With 16 dials, and 9 patch buttons, there is a lot you can do with the effects present. Possibly too much choice...Not recommended for beginers, as the confusion caused would be quite high. Editing patches is slightly difficult, as the dials for editing are very sensitive, and caused me quite a lot of annoyance, but! Once you get 'in the groove' so to speak, it becomes moderately easy, only taking a few minutes at a time to get the sound you want. The manual is about the same thickness as a manual you would possibly get with an RAF Fighter Jet lol. It explains everything, in detail, which in my opinion would bore many users, and they would possibly resort to just fiddling around with it in their own time, the manual discarded to the side like trash. I have no idea what the firmware version is, but I wouldn't really need it if I actually had it. // 9

Sound: I'm currently using my pedal with an Epiphone Les Paul, and a Nevada 15w bass amp (not the ideal set-up i know). The hum on some of the overdive effects can be a bit noisy, but there is a noise gate and Compressor on the pedal, so it's easy to deal with. Some of the preset effects can be a little weak-sounding, while others are slightly over the top, too high in treble, gain etc. But this can be easily rectified with the dials, providing Bass, Treble, Middle, Gain and Presence options, all to play around with in your own time. I've not been able to replicate the sound of my facourite guitarist (Synyster Gates - Avenged Sevenfold) but I keep trying, knowing that I'll eventually find the sweet spot, and then with 2 simple button presses, it can be saved. The Distortion and Overdrive effects may or may not be to your taste (depending on the sound you want) but as I said before, this can be changed with the simple turn of a dial and press of a button. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I find this pedal very reliable, as it's never failed on me before, and I've had it for over 2 years now. One thing I will say though, is that this pedal has 2 Live Valves, which (as all valves inevitably die one day) may need replacing at some point during ownership and usage. I would trust this pedal at any gig I played, not feeling that I would need a backup pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: For me, the Zoom G9\.2tt is perfect for my style (metal) as the Overdrive and distortion effects come through strong and heavy, while retaining clarity and tone. I've been playing for 6 years now, and I own a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, a Boss DS-1, a Danelectro Fab Distortion (which have all been sat in my draw, gathering dust for 2 years now) I've never regretted buying this pedal, not in the whole time I've owned it. If it was stolen, I would definitely buy another, without a second thought for any other effects pedals. I love everything about it, bar the fact that the valves will die one day. My favourite feature is the BrianDLY setting (A replicant of Brian May of Queens set-up) I didn't compare it to anything else, as I played with this one in the shop I got it from, and fell in love with it immediately. I wish it had a coffee maker :) // 10

G9.2tt Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 24, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: I know some people wanted a review, so here is one. So easy to get a good sound out of it. Just Pick a distortion, ZNR noise reduction, and EQ and it sounds good. Editing patches is real easy once you get the hang of it. The manual tells you everything you need. // 10

Sound: I run it through a Fender Squire Stagemaster into a Crate GT120. The amp is just for loudness, and the guitar is decent (getting Ibanez S470 soon). This pedal makes the setup kick ass. Somewhat noisy, until you turn noise gate or ZNR on, then it's dead quiet. A few distortions sound weak, and wah is a little weak, but in general the effects are awesome. Fender clean, Marshall Drive and JC Clean gets RHCP and Sublime. Rectifier Modern gets Metallica, Extreme Distortion model gets anything more metal. English model gets Dragonforce and all that stuff, great for palm muting. The two tubes make these distortions far superior to any other multi effects pedal. You can even blend tube (warmth/crunch) with solid state (loudness), and you can raise boost (loudness) versus tube. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is made out of metal, and is very reliable. The footswitches seem very sturdy. The only thing that could possibly break is the 3-D pedal, but I usually keep it latched so it's just a normal expression pedal. I would gig with it without a backup. Hasn't broke since I've had it, for about 4 months. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alternative, punk, reggae, rock, metal, works good for all of them. Instead of buying a different guitar or amp for a style, I just hit a Switch to change the patch. I've played for about 5 years and would definately buy another if it was lost. My favorite features are the amp models/distortions. I compared it to Marshall DSL's, Triple Rectifiers, Twin reverbs, Valvekings, Spider valves, and the distortions are just as good as them for far less price. The only things I might wish it had are drum Machine and dual inputs like the POD X3. // 10

G9.2tt Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2008

Purchased from: ProSound in Colorado Springs

Ease of Use: Stock sounds are ok. I don't know why they made so many factory sounds with crazy effects. I really just wanted to have lots of great sounds I could tweak just a bit for my own use. Anyway, I created my own sounds using the software editor and a MIDI connection. Editing patches is good, but not great. There is a USB port on the back, but it's only for using this unit for recording. I don't know why they couldn't use this port for editing the patches. Anyway, you need both the MIDI In and Out ports connected to your computer to utilize all editing features. Once I installed the softare, it took about an hour for me to figure it out. To write save changes on the G9, you have to send all data to it. You cannot edit one patch at a time, but it only stays in the computer until you "send all" to the G9. Not the greatest, but it sure beats editing on the G9 directly. Manual is good. I've had to refer to it several times and found my answer each time. Firmware was 1.07 and 1.08 was posted on their website. So I attempted to install it from Windows Vista. During the firmware update, it errored out. When I powered on the G9, it was dead. I had power, nothing else happened. I tried several times but got the same error. I dual boot my computer between XP and Vista, so I gave it a try from XP. Same error. However, my XP installation didn't have .NET 1.1 installed (which I thought it did), and this is a requirement for the updater. So I installed .NET 1.1 and installed it under XP. The update worked just fine, and the G9 started working again. // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez S520 guitar plugged into a portable Yamaha mixer and then into my computer. I mainly play at home writing and recording. For Live use, I'll play this through a Marshall MG250DFX, but I'll connect the G9 to the left and right Return inputs on the back. So the amp is pretty much just loud box. The G9 is pretty quiet except when using patches with lots of gain. But that's to be expected from anything with lots of gain. Effects are good. I upgraded to the G9 from a Boss GT-3 which had wonderful effects. But I don't get crazy with effects, and the G9 does a good enough job. As I stated, I mainly plug the G9 into my mixer then into my computer. I like the fact there 10 banks to be used for "direct" play into a mixer and another 10 banks for "live" use. I was hoping I could edit a patch for "direct" use at home, then just turn off the cabinet simulator and save the patch in the equivalent "live" patch area. Depending on the sound, you may need to adjust the preamp settings a bit between the "direct" and "live" patches to make them sound the same. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Looks like it was build very good. Seems to be solid and durable. Everything seems to be metal. I can't afford a backup, so I won't be using one. I'm not worried about it though. I've emailed Zoom in Japan and Samson in the USA (the Zoom distributer here) asking some presales questions. The Samson rep emailed a reply the same day. And a reply from Japan took a few days. Both answered my questions. I even spoke with the Samson rep Who was very helpful and courteous. // 9

Overall Impression: I play melodic rock. I've setup my own patches to give me some clean, blues, and rock sounds. I'm not into metal, but there are some awesome metal sounds here. I've been playing for 20 years. Sold my old Boss GT-3 and upgraded to this. Definately a step in the right direction. If I lost this thing, I'd probaby buy it again. For the features and prices, it's awesome! What I love: I love the sounds, the sexy look, the price. What I don't love: It's kinda big, so I'm having a hard time finding a case for it. Editing patches from the computer could be improved. There is no digital out on this! The USB audio port is only 16bit. If it was 24 bit, I wouldn't care so much for the lack of digital out. So I'm better off just recording this using the audio out ports into my M-Audio 2496 sound card which supports 24bit audio. I was looking at the Boss GT-8, Line6 X3 Live, and the Vox Tonelab LE. Listened to the GT-8, but I didn't really hear a lot of difference from my Boss GT-3. I'm sure the quality of the sounds is better, and I did like the dual preamp feature. I really considered the X3 Live, but read so many negative reviews about the construction of the unit and so many firmware issues. So I stayed away. I almost bought the Tonelab LE. I really believe having a tube warms the sound up, which is what I like. But then I found the Zoom locally and had to buy it. For the price, features, and quality, this unit is wonderful! // 9

G9.2tt Reviewed by: MauroArzu, on february 10, 2009

Price paid: € 385

Purchased from: Music Store

Ease of Use: Hi, I own this G9\.2tt and I must tell you, it is great. Once you get it, it is realy easy to use, very easy. The manual is a little bit complicated in the beginning, but just read it about 3 times while you are working with the Zoom and you will understand everything. // 10

Sound: The sound. I must tell you that I am a little dissapointed. The sound on the "clean" amps are very good, but on the distortions... Badly I must say! They sound to "digital" or just not such clean. You can use the ZNR function that discard all that noisy sounds, but if you play a note, you know that the sound must go through it and that the ZNR isn't working like you aren't playing anything. There are much effect, chorus (all kind of chorus), delay (all kinds of delay), reverb (all kinds of reverb) ect. I use my Zoom through a Peavey Bandit 112 but with an external Marshall 1960A cabinet... The sound is powerfull and very good, but also, digital. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & Durability? Don't know what it mean, but the short version from me of the Zoom is that the distortions are DIGITAL sound (don't like it, but it's my prefer), the Clean amps are perfect and all kind off effect too. But the Zoom is very good (it's not a thing that can brake quickly). // 7

Overall Impression: I play punk/rock, Bon Jovi stuff. I have a Epiphone Les Paul stndrd, Epiphone Sheraton II, they both sound very good through the Zoom (I think every guitar). I'm been playing for 4, 5 years. If this Zoom get damaged or I couldn't use it anymore, I would not buy tesame again. What I like about the Zoom is the expression pedals, the effect, but what I dislike about it, is the distortion amps (too digital!). // 4

G9.2tt Reviewed by: ajsingle7270, on november 04, 2010

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: ellaways

Ease of Use: This is a serious piece of gear and it definatly looks it.I tried it out in store before purchasing with the help of the store guys so when I got it home I had a good idea how to get started. The manual has a quick start section that will at least get you scrolling through the factory presets and you will find a host of sounds that will suit anyones playing style. After about a week of experimenting with these I read my manual cover to cover and started to tweek my own sounds which seems quite daunting at first givin all the knobs and buttons but really is easy to do once you get into it.The manual is pretty full on but easy to understand even for a beginner you can also download thw manual pdf on the Zoom website which is good when researching new gear. One thing I can't get my head round is the cubase software it came with there is a brief and I mean brief little pamphlet about how to get started but I really haven't bothered with. All in all outta the box you will get awesome sounds with the factory presets but you are cheating yourself if you don't tweek and come up with your own signature tones it is easy once you understand how. // 9

Sound: Ok I'm a metal player Pantera BLS Slipknot Metallica you get the idea so my set up is from guitar to amp -a ebony Gibson SG standerd fitted with Zakk Wyldes EMGs 81/85 active pickups > dimebags Dunlop crybaby from hell > Zoom g92tt > DigiTech JamMan stereo > Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 Head and quadbox.I gotta say that I didn't like the Wah effects on the Zoom its just nowhere like the tone I get from the crybaby which I will review at some stage.I have my Zoom set up as individual stompboxes rather than patches but you can store any other stompbox or effects pedal you may have like my Dunlop as part as your customized patch pretty kool hey.Before I purchased this I was looking at the Boss GT8 and the Line 6 Pod which had kool features to but 2 tubes came with the Zoom which is the biggest selling point to me and anyone who has gone from solidstate transistor amp to an all tube monster will know what I mean.The manufactorer claims that the stompboxes that they emulate are the most acurate on any multi effects and I belive it to be true with the distortion and Overdrive but like I said didn't think much of the Wah sound.As I have a Marshall I found their Marshall amp model sounded true oh yes it also has a host of amp models to.Like I said I play metal and I get all those sounds from the artists listed above so I can get filthy dirty sounds especially when I have my amp on dirty channels but also sweet crisp clean sounds and good old fashion Vintage sound ala AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.The lows have ball shaking bottom end and highs squeal just like Zakk and Dimebags do but I do experiment with my music and get some good bluesy jazz surfrock you name theres a sound you can get for any playing style.I would give this section a perfect 10 if the Wah was better but don't let that put you off as that could just be my personal taste remember always try before you buy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is built like a tank however seeing how it is equiped with two valves I take special care of it. I have had this about a year and a half now and I'm sure this thing will outlive me, will gig without a backup pretty confidently and as long as you are using reasonly desent leads wont have any dramas. If it was lost or stolen will not hesitate to replace. I payed $600 australian for this however it does rrp for $1000 but the boys at ellaways gave me a wicked deal on it as part of a end of financial year sale but would replace at full value if had to. The casing is all metal the knobs and foot switches are all metal and sturdy, has rubber feet so wont slip on beer soaked pub stages. Very well put together and designed for ease of use. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said I play metal so any othermetal players out there this should be on your to get wishlist.This does not have any built in drum or rhythm Machine as this is a dedicated effects pedal. I found the ones I tried prior to purchasing this one that had drum machines lacked big time on sound and tone which is why I have the JamMan but thats a future review. Also it does has a very good noise gate that is an amazing feature that you can turn off and on so if you have noisey high output passive pickups you wont loose any sound quality or dynamics.You may be thinking that I got this over the other models cause of the price think again they were all on sale and all simular price at that time give or take 50 bucks I love all the acurate amp and effect modellibg not to keen on the Wah or the 3D expression pedal( didnt feel a big need for that feature)but hey thats just me. Now you've read my review get off your ass get to your local muso shop and check it out for yourself. Always ALWAYS try before you buy and try others get the sales men to show you how it works its what they are payed for dont just read online reviews and make your decision off that alone this is a serious piece of gear which should last you your playing career dont settle for something cause its cheaper or looks better. My overall rating is a nine it would be a perfect 10 but I believe that nothings perfect. // 9

G9.2tt Reviewed by: harveyandruss, on june 17, 2016

Purchased from: Craigslist in 2015

Ease of Use: I didn't find it that hard to finds goods sounds. Editing is tedious, but once you get it, your good. The main issue is if the buttons don't work, you're stuck, and I found this to be unacceptable. The manual takes several readings, but is OK since there is so much there. The Zoom website has all the latest drivers and what not. I tried to use the midi to program some patches, but it didn't always work (stay connected). But you can't get this good of delays for this used price of $150. If someone learns how to repair switches and keep the thing functional, the aftermarket on this will be solid for years since the sounds and 4 cable setup are excellent. // 4

Sound: Indie, shoegaze, dream pop, psychedelic, punk. I use it into a cheap but nice clean Chinese Kustom V100 with new tubes and Celestion Vintage 30s. I have single coils and the ZNR works well. I have just started to use 4 cable whereas I used to just go into the guitar input on my amp. It can do direct injection to the PA, but stage mix/volume is a big problem for the venues we play, so I use the with the Zoom and no speaker compensation. The EQ on the thing is amazing, if a little hard to get used to. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The buttons seem to go on these Zooms. I cannot get the a/b amp to switch anymore and this is a kick ass feature. I can't get the function switches to program at all. Only one pedal program button works and I have to use the dial to program what all the controller pedals do - which are the main reason you buy this. The 2D controller pedal and the other volume pedal can also be programmed. To play live though you need a stool to run both controller pedals. The tubes are cheap Chinese and should be replaced, but it is difficult to pop open the unit and navigate all the screws and PCB to replace them (there is a YouTube video on this). I'm still using, but I need to pop it open and see which switches I need to replace. The problem with MFX units in general is there are several things that can go awry and if any one thing does, it greatly compromises the whole setup. If you have one discrete pedal fail, you can just replace that unit, but the price up front is quite a bit more than a used MFX like this. // 3

Overall Impression: The reason I bought it is the capability to stack 3 delays and reverb for ambient sounds. The LFO sounds (chorus, flange, phaser) are all top notch. The 32 bit quality is impressive. The stompbox and modeling are ok, but ideally you want to do the 4 cable send/return thing with your amp and the zoom so that you get the right sequence of digital model stompbox, your amp tube preamp, then the effects, then the power amp. I had a lot of fun recreating a janglebox for my Ricky using the boost and compression. Add the delays/reverbs and the chime is amazing. I have had several people comment on how many sounds I can get out of this. There are several novelty sounds, like step and ring modulation and special combinations so that you can really wank the controller pedals for some trippy sounds. There's no reason you can't put extra distortion pedals in front of this, or a whammy or a looper pedal on the back end. // 4

G9.2tt Reviewed by: 12.Gauge, on december 24, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: The Zoom is easy with a few minutes of tinkering to get used to. Editing patches is all straightforward and logical. The editing is moderate not so complex as to have you dialling tones forever instead of playing. The layout of the Zoom is great, really practical and efficiant with heavy duty dials and pedals. A couple of things that might work better would be both pedals on one side for easy volume then wah/modulation pedal changing but this isnt a big issue. The pedals are also not so wide in soundscope I.e. you can go from zero volume to full too quickly, although there may be a function to amend this (let me know if you know how). The Zoom has the quickest patch change ever apparantly which with the nice softclick buttons makes it unobvious on stage and comfortable. The screen could have been a bit bigger, especially when tuning on stage. I haven't used the system with the built in cubase package but I have heard it isnt as user friendly as the pods but I couldnt substantiate this. // 8

Sound: I bought the pedal for use at wedding gigs where true tone isnt an issue and really just to di into the pa and have a silent tuner also, but the unit really exceeded my expectations. I've bought Multifx for 15 years or so and had the GFX in 1999 but this is a different league. The unit contains 2 12ax7 valves (tubes) which make all the difference to shaping the tone and eliminating the saturated digital sounds especially on high gain patches. It definately gives an overall Marshall style warmth when the valves are cranked. Unfortunately it seems when cranking the tube levels over 1/2 way this distorts the clean channel (this may be my settings). The individual sounds are all very nice-on par with most of my electro harmonix and boutique pedals, the tremelo is very analogue sounding, the delays are substantial and there is 2 modulation choices so you can do loop FX using 2 long delays. The chorus/flange and phasers are decent not to Boss or EHX standards but nice with particular patch settings. Harmoniser and Whammy a shade off my DigiTech Whammy and wahs suffer from the pedals lack of width. One of my favourites is an AIR modulation effect which acts as air between speaker and amp I guess, really adds realism. The acoustic simulator is really sweet sounding once dialled in well. The amp models are really great in general. Some favourites are Diezel, Engl, Recto, Roland JC, HK Clean. All very realistic and great for emulating fav artists, I can get a great adam jones sound with the Diezel. For the brutals it does better than my 5150 anyway IMO, and isnt far off Powerballs heads etc. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would say it feels very reliable nothing has went wrong with my Zoom FX in the past and it's very sturdy. I use this through my mackie PA system live and I think this sounds better than through my 4x12 because the sound is clearer. I have a backup pedal just for di purposes as you never know but the chances are it's more likely not to get used if I forget the power supply. // 9

Overall Impression: I play death metal to bossa nova, just about every genre as I teach, play in wedding bands and play in a prog metal band as well. It covers all the bases. I own a lot of high end gear and this is amongst with pride of place. After I've hooked up a Carvin V3 with Holy Grail, Crybaby, Whammy, Small Stone, Big Muff and all those patch cables it is a seriously cheaper, more convenient and high quality alternative. I don't know if multifx would ever exceed amp heads of boutique pedals but this is 95% of the way there. I would reccommend it anyday over the Boss GE-8, this has too much tweaking and too saturated a tone despite having some nice add ons like dual outputs and the synth sounds etc, and I would take it over the Vox Tonelab SE for it's superior cleans and organic sound. I do like the Tonelabs SLO and 5150 patches but this is cheaper and higher quality. Favourite feature is the dual modes (you can go clean to gain on the same patch which is really useful), and the least favourite the small screen for tuning. I would definately replace it if lost stolen. I wish it would have a dual output and synth as well as a function to combine amp models ala Adam Jones Recto and Diezel, but that would be cherry on the icing on the cake. // 9

G9.2tt Reviewed by: CrazyJester, on march 03, 2008

Purchased from: Imuso.com

Ease of Use: This Unit is rather easy to use, and the manual explains everything you need to get the sound you want. Editing patches and creating your own patches is really easy. Be sure to read the manual first though otherwise you will get a little confused. // 10

Sound: This Unit sounds great. It has a wide variety of effects and you can get almost any sound you want out of it, especially after a little tweaking, almost everything can be tweaked! I play a lot of metal and old school rock such as Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Dio, along with artists such as Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Michael angelo Batio etc and this unit does it all. Select "ExtremeDistortion" from the Pre-Amp section and you get an amazing, extremely dirty distortion that even Slipknot couldn't handle. You can get clean crisp sounds, and bluesy-crunch sounds, and it has no unwanted feed back, especially when you turn on noisegate. The only problem I have with this unit is the wah effect(s). They do the trick, definitely for beginners and even intermediate players, but an advanced player might want to get an extra wah pedal. You can't expect too much though due to the price of the unit. I got the weeping daemon wah and I'm pleased with the setup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Not much to say here other than it is reliable. The thing is made of metal and weighs quite a bit. I would and have gigged without it, after having the unit for almost 5 months now, it has never let me down, and everything is still in tact without ever having to repair a thing. It can handle a beating, although it is wise to always back up no matter what you have. // 10

Overall Impression: The thing is definitely worth the money. You get some truely amazing sounds out of it and it won't break down on you very easily. The wah is a little weak but hey what do you expect? a decent wah pedal will cost you around 70. This entire unit now goes for around 170 Brand New. My friend has the DigiTech GNX4, this thing is much cheaper and the sound quality is the same if not better than the GNX4. If this thing was stolen or broken, I would buy it again. If you're thinking of getting this pedal, let me just say it will be worth the money you pay. If you're a big fan of wah like I am then just get an added wah pedal, you will still save a lot of money on effects. // 10

G9.2tt Reviewed by: Panguin, on june 12, 2008

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Ease of Use: From my experience..Well I have no real experience with effects, since this was my first guitar effect. I found it real easy to use, after surfing through the manual and playing around with it for a while. The patches are very easy to edit and save, also with the handy Swap setting, which swaps two patches. I also heard that it's possible to download patches from websites which sounds pretty cool. // 9

Sound: At the moment, I connect it to my mini amp (Fender 15G), and use an Epiphone Les paul. Playing Live, I connect it directly to the PA system. The sound is actually Very Warm and Good. On distortion, it sounds amazing with a little bit of delay and reverb. Overall, Distortion sounds very good. I've also heard about many people saying that the Wah pedal isnt very good on this Machine, but I was able to create a sick wah effect. I was able to create sounds which sound if not exactly but very close to songs such as (For the love of God, Knocking on the Heavens door, Voodoo Child, Stairway to heaven). I play mostly distiortion, classic, jazz, blue sounds, mostly at church; playing Live. It fits very well with other instruments. Overall, Sound quality is excellent. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its very handy, and well made. I carry it in a pretty soft bag, because I couldn't really afford to buy a real case for it, but it seems to be well maintained and built very strong. Well I don't really have another effect to back this one up, but even if I do, I don't think I'll need to back this up, because this thing is a beast. // 1

Overall Impression: I play a lot of christian rock, soft rock and gospel songs, and it matches well with many instruments (Piano, Keyboard, Drums, Vocals). This being my first gear, was a very successful purchase, because from the G9, I was able to develop many sounds, which came useful in anytime. Before buying this product, I was having a hard time between this, the GNX4, Boss GT-8, and ended up purchasing this one. If I were to lose this or if this was to get stolen, I would definately re-purchase this, but sad thing would be that all the patches would be gone. One thing I was disappointed in with this was the Whammy pedal. It sounds very choppy compared to others, but overall, a very good product. // 8

G9.2tt Reviewed by: ierostyle, on september 12, 2008

Purchased from: imuso

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound of it seems to be somewhat tempermental, and it's not the easiest of things to use if your not using your computer. The unit itself is a great multi fx unit with some of the best abilities I've come accross in a multi Fx. The Z pedal is truely marvelous, the manual however isn't the best or most helpful you will ever find! // 8

Sound: Well I used to use it for every show, and play it through the front imput on a Marshall Valvestate 100w amp head. I now use a Marshall JCM2000 TSL, thus negating the want for amp modeling to a certain degree. The wah is pretty bad in my opinion but then I expect a lot from a wah, Some of the effects are pretty knarly and you can do some really radical things with the effects on this unit, the pitch shifter pedal can create some awesome effects for bridges in your songs, and the ability to tweek gain and chorus and delay all at once, simply astounding, superb. Thus beeing said though, it overal falls short of my requirements, just doesn't have a profesional enough sound to it. I pluged it in before my Marshall JCM and it is a complete tone sucker! recomended for people with out really high end amps, and it will have you rockin, for those with there dream amps that want the serious refinement of top quality stomp boxes, look else where, but certainly a storming buy for the price! // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's not as strong as it neets to be for me, mine has a crack in the screen and nobs have had to be put back on before. Gig with it, well I used to and actually it broke down on me so there you go. So I depended on it and it let me down! I have always been nervous ever since about using this, and don't really incorporate this much anymore. // 7

Overall Impression: Just for the fact that cubase comes with it it's worth something and the Z pedal, hell yes!!! it's pretty good, but for a serious pro I would suggest maybe not, unless you find specific sounds from it that are perfect! Maybe I will find a way to incorporate this into my sound again one day, but I think, I will build my own effects rig instead. // 8

G9.2tt Reviewed by: vekou, on march 24, 2010

Purchased from: A Music Store in the Philippines

Ease of Use: Compared to other multi-effects pedal, it has a lot of dials and buttons (and foot pedals), so customizing the sound won't be that easy for beginners. It's like using a portable rack-mounted effect, it takes time to mold to your preferred sound, but with a very deep and intuitive customization. But if you have prior experience with other Zoom products, learning to create your own sound would be a much easier. The preset factory patches are good but not that great sounding as you would expect from other high-end brands. Editing the patches would be much easier if you connect the G9 to a PC using a MIDI cable and installing G9Ed, the G9.2tt Patch Library, as it comes with a visual interface on the PC rather than using the small built-in LCD of the G9. The user manual is very detailed, with a separate leaflet for the Drive effect types reference. I purchased mine with the current firmware version. Upgrading the unit uses the MIDI interface, not USB. // 9

Sound: I'm using my Jackson Soloist clone (RJ Shredmaster) with it using various amps. Using the ZNR function of Zoom, it cancels out noise when I'm not playing. But usually, the unit does not produce unit unless you use a very high gain setting, especially when using "Extreme Distortion" Drive effect with full gain. Generally, the sound is great, but not that full-sounding. I suggest to use very good amps to get professional sounds out of the G9.2tt. I don't know why, but Zoom's Wah effects' maximum settings are always just half-open. You can never get a fully opened wah. Is is because of legal implications? So, Wah effect is pretty weak, but that is compensated with the other Drive effect types. I'm a compressor-type of player, so G9's variety of compressors was a plus for me. Too bad I can't control the Compressor settings using the pedals. I play a lot of music genre including metal, rock, pop, blues, power ballads, etc., so the variety of effects was a major factor for me before buying this unit. I love the acoustic-simulator effect because I don't have to Switch from an electric guitar to an Acoustic one when playing live. I also like how G9.2tt uses different algorithms when using it when recording and live. The cabinet simulator is really helpful if you simply want to connect to a PA, makes the sound sounds like it's coming from an amplifier. Creating your own sound is a bit complicated at first. But once you get the hang of it, it is so flexible and allows you to make fine customizations to your sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's tough. I've been carrying it around for gigs for one whole year, and it never let me down before. I have stored it in a high-temperature room, hand-carried it while riding crowded public-transportation and even dropped it accidentally (only a few inches high though), and it's still working up until now. Oh yeah, today is exactly one year since I've bought my Zoom G9.2tt. My only worry is how long before the twin tubes will eventually "die". I can only imagine myself looking for tube replacement part for my G9. Regarding the tubes, they are exposed, so I'm not sure what will happen to the unit if they get wet (through water droplets when playing live on an open stage or maybe sweat drops while playing). I think I can use it on a gig without a backup, but all the time, I have my Zoom G1X as a backup in case things don't go well. // 10

Overall Impression: I think the Zoom G9.2tt is well-suited for any style of music. I have been playing for more than a decade now, and I should say, G9 was on the top of my wishlist when it first came out. It was on a league of its own. The features were overflowing with its price next to dirt-cheap (well at least compared to its competitors at the time of its release). It has a very high value in comparison with its price. If ever it will be stolen or lost, I'll definitely buy it again, provided that Zoom will not be releasing any multi-effects pedal better than the G9.2tt. // 10

G9.2tt Reviewed by: Super BisDak, on october 29, 2010

Purchased from: JVS Music Shop

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound from this unit is pretty easy since you have all the knobs to control the parameter which you will tailor. Even if you're not familiar with Zoom units you can edit the patches with ease. Each effect module has its own button, you'll just have to press the corresponding button in order to edit its values. The manual is very informative, has hints and tips for the unit. // 9

Sound: My guitars are Fender Japanese Vintage '57, Ibanez RG350DX and a Yamaha Pacifica 112J. On practice sessions I run this unit straight to a Vox Pathfinder 15R and on regular gigs I use a Peavey Classic 30. Most of the time I use a 4-cable method on regular gigs and it responds very well with respect to dynamics. The amp sims are pretty good too. On low gain amp sim, I adore a lot the Vox AC30 simulation, it really sounded like the real thing. Likewise, on high gain territory this unit really soars. I love the tight bass response of the BG, Engl and DZ Drive. The Extreme Distortion is really insane, I have coupled it with the ZNR module and some tightening of the low frequencies, and yeah you'll have that bone crushing tone but still pleasing to hear. The modulation effects of this unit are pretty decent too. It sounded like an individual stompboxes. I love the stereo chorus effect, it has that very lushy, sparkling and mouth-watering sound. The tremolo is pretty good too, the you can hear the guitar signal sliced thouroughly and you can alter its waveform too. I have to mention the volume swell effect is really great compared to other multis. The effect responds really well with respect to your picking and it has a good time curve too so you can emulate a violin-like effect. The delays and reverbs are ace. You can dial those dotted notes with ease and it can be manipulated with the tap tempo switch. These module offers a wide selection of delays and reverbs. The early reflection and modulation delay are very cool. // 10

Reliability & Durability: In terms of durability all I can say is that this unit is very dependable, built to last. If I could recall it right, I have accidentally dropped it thrice already during rush gigs, have stomped on it hardly but it's still kicking. It had no pedal, Switch issues or whatsoever as what other poeple were complaining. It has served me very well for 3 years already and counting. It had never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: I play jazz, classic rock, blues, progressive rock and metal. All these music styles were catered by this unit. I have been playing for 15 years and have bunch of boutique pedals and other multis too (e.g. Korg AX3000G, Boss ME-50, GT-10 and etc). Though the flexibility and versatility of this unit may not top notch but the Z-pedal really gives me an additional control over other parameters of my effects. The tones coming out of this thing is near analogue, thanks to the tube-buffered input and output stage. For the wish list, I wish Zoom had included the following: 1. Its the LCD interface into more larger display so the user could have an ease of viewing. 2. The Wah and booster effect should be separated. 3. The pedal, amp and cabinet simulations should be separated. 4. To include a pedal placement feature, in which you could re-arrange the order of pedals in your chain. 5. To include warp mode on amp sims would be great! 6. To have a separate dry and wet output. 7. Making the tubes more accessible. Did I ask much? :D Anyway, this multi rocks! If it were stolen or lost I would probably wait the next higher model. // 9

G9.2tt Reviewed by: mohok, on august 11, 2011

Ease of Use: When I first saw this Machine I was like "WTH? Is this an airplane Machine or a guitar effect machine?" from first looks seems kinda nasty but well. When I started using it found it really nice and easy to make some nice sounds. Editing patches etc. Is a very easy job to do. Well knowning some basics about effects helps a lot too. And the manual helps a lot too. Well about the firmware I am not sure what's the version and I have never upgraded it. // 9

Sound: My equipment is: Guitar: ESP M-III Deluxe (Custom Shop) (yes... it's M-III and NOT M-II. If you want to check it here). Pickups: Seymour Duncan Blackouts Metal (AHB-2) Mode: Loud. Amps: Using mostly Laney amps. But have used it on several Marshals. Well the things I have to say is that this Machine really rocks. I haven't problems with noises etc... The effects are great. I really never got any troubles with sound. I found almost all effects I used very well. I am sure you can get the sound of your favorite artists or get a personal sound easilly if you're in mood to do (and if your equipment helps too). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have never been bother with the support. Never needed it. I can't afford atm a backup or whatever so I don't use a backup. The only negatives I see is: a) weight (it's too heavy but well it's all made of metal). b) I love the design and watching the two lamps in it but I think that this could be a problem if liquid drops there. But well somehow heat must be going out). // 9

Overall Impression: I am playing almost everything, alternative, classic rock, blues, jazz, neoclassical even death metal. I thing it's great. I am playing guitar now for like 20 years. Before buying it I was using several Zoom pedals. Like 505 V1, Zoom 707, Zoom 3000 player. And final Boss GT-10, the last one. After changing my pickups stoped being so well no matter what I did didn't made to get a good sound of my taste. So I switched again back to Zoom as I was for many many years. I wouldn't change it for anything else even if it was stolen I would buy the same. I have compared it with some pod metal guitar effeccts, Boss GT-10, Older Zoom guitar effects and it's really a supperrior machine. // 10

Comments