GFX-1 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-1

Purchased from: eBay

My setup is a cheap but chearful Fender strat style Westfield guitar, staight through the Zoom and into my Vox AD50VT. It works for me beautifully as it opens up a huge range of sounds, most of which I may never need! Because it is digital, it will never reach the sound quality of an analogue setup but considering the fact that you will pay pennies for one, it's easily good enough for gigs, which is all I will ever use it for! I'm in band that plays mainly indie rock music ranging from mellow to reasonably heavy and it has no trouble giving the entire range of sound but it does mean I spend ages on floor reprogramming the thing!

Playing indie rock, it has a the capability of giving the whole range of sounds I need and would easily cope with practically any other type of music too. As I said before though, it is only digital and so will never match analogue sound quality but it is easily good enough live! I love the fact that it is so easy to use but the main down side is that programming takes a fair bit of time. The top reason I went for this is because of the price. It is a cheap unit, and so is never going to be as good as other more pricey effects. However, if you are going for something simple, very easy to use, and sturdy for live performances then I would recommend the GFX-1.

Easily dependible unit made from metal on the outside so it will stand up for itself, but that said, it won't put up with being lobbed around! I always rely on it for our bands gigs, and doesn't need a backup as long as its looked after.

This is such a brilliant unit! It's easy to use, very simple in comparison to other digital effects units and for the cost, sounds great! Every patch can be fully edited and it has more parameters than many people will really need. The manual is very easy to understand too as it uses loads of diagrams and explains everything you will ever need to know about it! In comparison to other Zooms it is very civilised in that its not overly complicated.