GFX-1 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-1

Purchased from: Unisound

I'm using this with a Ibanez GRX40J and an Ibanez TB50R at the moment, very nice sound indeed. But I'm sure it will be alot better with a better guitar and a nice stack. The ZNR aka. Zoom Noise Reduction works well, no annoying hissing or humming sounds when not playing. The only things that I don't like so far are some of the distortions. Like the lead, I can't get it anywhere near the smoothness of John Petrucci's lead sounds. But I guess that can be blamed on the guitar quite a bit too. So far I'm pleased with the overall sound, and there's a lot to tweak which is always good.

It fits my style of playing well, I mostly play metal, progressive metal and "alternative rock/metal" or whatever you could call it. I've been playing for ca. 4 years now. If it was stolen, I'd probably get a better one with more features, not that I'm saying it ain't good. It's very good for the price. The amount of gain is something I really like about it, only thing is you can't get a nice hybrid sound between the Metal and Fuzz distortions. And the EQ could be a bit better, as the manual doesn't give you a very clear picture of how the EQ works but you get the hang of it after a while. There are a few missing major features, like the chance to plug it into the computer via an USB port and load patches downloaded from the net like you can do with the DigiTech GNX3.

It seems very sturdy, haven't done any gigs with it yet but I think I could use it on a gig without a backup. Just have to do some gigs with it and we'll see how reliable it really is.

At first when I tested the GFX-1 in the shop it didn't know how to use the thing, just tested the effects. Bought it and when I got home the real learning began, luckily you get a hang of how it all works fairly quickly. But mastering it all takes quite a while, cause there are a lot of options. Editing patches couldn't be much easier and it helps a lot to read the manual in order to understand what information the display is giving. It comes with 6 manuals, essentially all are the same just in different languages, English, German, Italian, Japanese, French and Spanish.