GFX-1 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-1

Purchased from: Wisbech Music, Wisbech, Cambs

I'm currently using an ESP LTD AX-50 guitar, which connects into the effects processor, which goes into the input of my Marshall MG30DFX, 30 watt amp. Some of the patches are louder than others, as some have stronger distortion. But the patch level can easily be changed by using the effects dial and two lower butons. Most of the effects sound great, but one or two, such as the phaser crackles if turned up too loud, which is hard to avoid as the phaser seems to be a quieter effect any way. It's quite easy to match up basic effects to current artists. My faverite band is Muse. I have matched several of their effects using the GFX-1. And the ones I haven't matched are pretty damn close. The PVY Drive stands out as the best distortion to me. I use this as my main distortion when playing. It gives a clear sound and does not dirty the sound when strengthened. All banks have various themes, such as bank A's bluesy feel and bank F's futuristic robotic type sounds.

I play a range of music, from blues to heavy metal. The GFX-1 meets all my needs. It's a perfect match for me. I've been playing for 4 years now. I own an Encore guitar and a Crafter electric acoustic guitar, which both work great with the GFX-1. I've also got a Rockwood bass which I sometimes put through it (even thought I shouldn't because it's made for guitar, but it still works great). If I ever lost this or it was stolen I would definately buy this again or maybe the next model in the hope of getting an even better expierience! My favorite feature has to be the ability to mix different effects and customize every feature of them to create something unique. The only thing I dislike about it is that some of the efects get a bit crackly when turned up, which is a real shame. Overall this is a top piece of kit, ideal for anyone who wishes to create thier own sounds and play gigs. I highly recommend it!

This is a solid piece of equipment, unlikely to break easily. It hasn't failed me yet, and I don't expect it to. It strikes me as a very reliable and durable bit ok kit. It's small and compact, easy to carry. I use this at all my gigs. I never take backup as I know I will never need it.

The GFX-1 comes with 10 banks (A-J) of 4 defaulted patches (1-4). That's 40 altogether. That's a lot of default patched to play with, however, a few of these sound very similar. There are only slight differences. It's easy to get a good sound out of this equipment quickly and easily. Just choose a bank then Pick a number, and you'll have a startig sound. The LED display shows what bank and number is selected. Editing patches is made simple. 2 dials on the surface. 1 for a quick distortion change. And the other controls all the effects. The two buttons under the distortion dial controls the strength of the distortion. The two buttons under the effects dial cycle through the effects, strengthen or weaken the effects, increase or decrease the time delay and much more. The LED light displays all the details which are being changed. The button on the far left stores the custom patch. Press once and the LED light will flash, just to make sure your certaion you want to save your changes. Press again to store.

biffyclyrorule
    regular 9V power adaptor (cost about 10), or batteries recomend the adaptor. I agree, this is a great pedal
    cal1089
    does anyone kow where i acn get the patches for this pedal. i just got it and id like to get some songs that are sounding right.
    .:Darkness:.
    you cant use all the effects at one, teh effects that you can have at ones are: Wah, Drive, Eq, contour, ZNR/amp, Delay/reverb.
    gumbloid
    Do you have to use the Zoom FP02 expression pedal or will a generic one work?
    jeordie1
    yea its works as four different stomp boxes at a time. i used my friends one for a gig last week and i had clean, crunch, distortion and heavy distortion assigned to the four pedals.
    RICH101
    i love this i got mine for 59 euros by the way i needed an fx pedal for pure intrest sakes love the fact it can be used as four stomp boxes and think the distortion is insane
    mojojoe222
    anyone know where i can get the manual again as i lost mine and im stumped as to why the low end keeps distorting having tried everything.